Speed Camaras and speed checks UK and France. - Dutchie

Back from driving from the south of France to Yorkshire after a nice break.

I noticed quite a few speedchecks in France on the auto routes and the N roads.Not far from Calais after Chartres N road 110km to the 130 km roads hand held camara trying to catch drivers.Arriving in the the UK on the A1 again lots of camaras drivers slowing down speading up again.Do these camaras really make for safer driving or are they here just to make money?

Speed Camaras and speed checks UK and France. - Vitesse6

Someone once did some research on peoples incomes, and the gist of the results was that most people felt that an extra 10% on their wages would make them happy and content.

I think that a lot of people think about speed limits in a similar way - a bit higher all round would be about right.

I suppose that if people were to accept the speed limits, and rather than breaking them where they considered the limit to be wrong campaigning for the limit to be changed then the cameras would not be necessary. I live near a road which has no footpaths and has a number of blind bends. It is quite possible to drive at 60 -70 mph on this road, but if when you come round a bend and meet a tractor, cyclist or pedestrian (all legally entitled to use the road) then either you are in for a hairy moment or the poor pedestrian is going to get scared out of their wits. Modern cars insulate you from the speed and your surroundings far too well and allow far higher speeds than are safe for other road users.

Speeding is something we all do, its the law we feel it is ok to break, even normally law abiding folk. But, if we are to accept the rule of law in most things, why don't we do it when driving?

Maybe when we all start to obey the speed limits as part of our civic duty or good citizenship then the cameras will become redundant.

Speed Camaras and speed checks UK and France. - Dutchie
You make a good point Vitesse and I have to agree with you.

I have my mad moments ones in a while on the motorway when I put my foot down but my wife when she is with me soon has a word and I listen .

It is about a certain discipline which isn't always easy in a modern car which feels isolated from the road.

I have mentioned this before I lost a good little mate in our village as a five year old when he crossed the road and got killed by a car driving a bit to fast.I still see Harrys face now after all these years.
Speed Camaras and speed checks UK and France. - oldroverboy

Hi Dutchie, Just back too, but not quite as far as you, Belgium, south of Luxembourg and just into that corner of france. noticed a police car following me on a 90km section of road, and fairly close behind me too, but kept my speed, helped by cruise control and my nokia sat nav which tells me in a loud voice when i exceed the speed limit by however much i set it to. after about 4 miles, they went past, waved, grinning like kids caught out in a prank! But lots more fixed and mobile cameras around now, and also noticed roadside checks approaching calais on sunday afternoon. incidentally, SURPRISED as french cars coming the other way flashing to warn of traps ahead!

car was very stable at high motorway speeds in france and Belgium, as usual plenty of people moving at 100mph + but stuck very close to the speed limit as the on the spot fines are eye-watering. Saturday hotel was closed but found alternative nearby so no drink driving either. Happy too with fuel economy, 1400 mile round trip 3 adults, full of baggage, 12 cases of wine on returning + shopping from french supermarket and got 42mpg, Dutchie, did you notice the cost of unleaded in france and belgium 1.76 euros OUCH, makes it look cheap here, but diesel 1.35 euros in calais and a bit cheaper in belgium in large towns. Best bet, as here was the supermarket chains for refuelling as i am sure you noticed.

Happy motoring

PS did you also have the chaos at the tunnel monday? but they were good, actually ended up on a crossing 1 hour earlier.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 05/05/2011 at 06:44