VW Golf FSI 2.0 - ESP light on VW Golf 2004 - Running mad

I had previously scoured websites to understand how many other VW owners had a similar issue - the ESP light on the dashboard illuminated and would not go off was the symptom. After research it appeared to be a common fault with VW's between the age of 2004-2008 mainly.

So I took it to my local garage (non-VW dealer) and they ran diagnostics which showed a 'brake pressure sensor' error. They told me this meant the ABS pump was faulty and the cost (wait for it) would be in the region of £1400-£1700. Now that is big money for something that technically should not fail, although having looked around it appears hundred of these ABS units do fail. My next steps should give hope to anyone who has currently got this problem - I hope it helps!

A little history on the car before I start.......I bought it privately, and have had it 18 months, during which time it's never been to a VW garage due to the costs they charge for any work. It has 51k on the clock, so not what you would say been around the block a few times (its a 54 plate). It does have one major service at VW at 17k, but other than that all other services done at independant garages.

I wrote to VW expressing my concern with the issue, and asking that they consider helping me with the costs of the repair. They called me a week later and after going back and forth for a week, they told me to get the diagnostics done at a VW garage (which I did). They came back and advised (surprise suprise) that the ABS pump was faulty, but they had a repair kit in stock (handy) to fix the exact problem. I asked them about assistance since it was a common problem, but they advised no because the vehicle age was 'off the matrix' and I hadn't been 'loyal' to them in terms of servicing. So, I thought some home truths needed discussing......

I have owned 5 VW's in the last 10 years - my parents both have VW's bought from new in the past 3 years, and I myself have also bought a Touran from new 4 years ago from a VW dealer. So please don't question my 'loyalty' when it comes to the VW brand.

The result?

30% goodwill gesture and a final fully fitted price of £450.

If you have this ESP issue, push VW all the way for financial assistance. They need to protect their brand and not hide behind a common fault that costs some people £1700. It comes as no surprise that these repair kits happen to be in stock - wonder why that is!

Good luck if you have a similar issue and don't give in to a £1,000+ bill.

VW Golf FSI 2.0 - ESP light on VW Golf 2004 - Angry VW Owner

Hi, was interested to read your post, along many others I have found on the internet. I bought my wife a Golf 1.4 '07 plate from brand new, and it has done , to date 13,000 miles (3 1/2 years later).

The first 12 month service I erred on side of caution and paid through the nose at the same VW dealership that sold me the car, for a service after 4,900 miles. A year later the car had only done 8,400 miles in total so I opted for a "cheaper" but authorised service at an independent garage. I have just had the car's 3rd service done at the same independent garage at 13,400 miles and sure enough the ESP warning light came on the dashboard about 2 weeks ago so I asked the servicing garage for a diagnostic. Their suggestion was a failed ABS pump unit but only a £48 VW diagnostic test will tell us more. I have spoken to VW (again, the dealership that sold me the car) who did the old "VW rewards loyalty" and because I dared to venture outside of their extortionately priced servicing, and hence outside the VW group they weren't under any obligation to pay goodwill, but would "fight our case" to see what they could do.

Right now if the bill is too great, lets assume that no goodwill is forthcoming, although I will fight tooth and nail to get something out of them, I fully intend to offload the car at the earliest opportunity and end a 10 year-long association with VW cars if that is their attitude.

You seemed to have had quite considerable success with your VW dealership so any other tips on the way forward would be most appreciated.

Many thanks, Richard

VW Golf FSI 2.0 - ESP light on VW Golf 2004 - unthrottled

There's no doubt that VW had a problem with their ESP systems and they have less than generous with regards to redress.

That said, consumers' expectations are unrealistic. In the last 10 years new car prices have declined massively in real terms, whilst specifications have risen remarkably. This situation is untenable. Basically the sale price does not cover the cost of producing the car. High servicing and parts costs are basically a way for the manufacturers to recoup their costs from the unrealistic sale price. Dealerships do not have much wriggle room for 'goodwill'. The monkey must be paid somehow.

It would be much better all round if the British consumer would learn that cars are expensive to produce and paid more for them upfront. Parts and servicing costs would fall and there would be fewer nasty surprises.

VW Golf FSI 2.0 - ESP light on VW Golf 2004 - oldroverboy

It would be much better all round if the British consumer would learn that cars are expensive to produce and paid more for them upfront. Parts and servicing costs would fall and there would be fewer nasty surprises.

I take issue with the above statement, Example: my chevrolet epica when on sale here was list price £15595 approx, cost in europe like for like 25000 euros. Still on sale in some european markets too.same margins apply to other makes, and the point is that VAG suffered the same problems in germany and other european markets. The uk is one of the least profitable markets for most manufacturers.

I do agree that too many people in the uk want something for nothing, as I heard in Geneva when I worked there in the motor trade, Salesman to Customer, Discount sir, no we sell cars not discounts. To anyone who has the money to do it, buy a korean with 5 or 7 years warranty and get it serviced in the dealer network ang vag and the rest will have to follow suit. And just for all the diehards, can some of our european contributors tell us labour rates in various countries, as it bears our that the dealerships are charging more, but parts are equally expensive everywhere.

Good post

Good post.

I would like to point out though, that its not that I am after something for nothing. Far from it. Any reasonable person accepts wear and tear on a vehicle results in expense over time. At 13,400 miles in 3 years though I find it a bit difficult to accept a £1,400 bill for a KNOWN fault. The words "fit for purpose" spring to mind.

If a fault has been this prevailent why is a product recall not carried out? Judging by the dealerships response of "oh, not another one?" when I called them, they are acutely aware of the problem but continue to hide behind the old "loyalty" chestnut when it comes to goodwill gestures in putting the problem right.

If an independent garage service is good enough to maintain a warranty, then why not the goodwill of VW?

VW Golf FSI 2.0 - ESP light on VW Golf 2004 - oldroverboy

I would like to point out though, that its not that I am after something for nothing. Far from it. Any reasonable person accepts wear and tear on a vehicle results in expense over time. At 13,400 miles in 3 years though I find it a bit difficult to accept a £1,400 bill for a KNOWN fault. The words "fit for purpose" spring to mind.

Sorry, not attacking you, But these problems exist, there is a conspiracy of silence on behalf of all dealers and manufacturers about faulty products, remember the first complaints about dual mass flywheels, I remember a certain celebrity wife in switzerland who had a faulty catalyser on her jaguar xjs in 1989 when they were introduced over there, and it quickly got replaced, Piezo controlled vag injectors on the diesels, same, problem hidden but caused by radical cost cutting, when i worked for opel gearboxes filled with incorrect lubricant, wiper linkages that fell apart, Range Rovers and Jaguars with continous recalls, and recall to fix the recalls. VW is not a make i would buy, nor anything french,italian or eastern european, neither toyota or nissan (recycled renaults) I would buy almost anything korean and a mazda 6 would be acceptable too. Just wait till the euroV diesels start having faults, and all those strange DSG type gearboxes, someone down the line will have a 3-4 year old car uneconomic to repair. for me, next car will be unstressed petrol engine when my current car displays any bad behaviour after its 3rd birthday. As said before, PLEASE, research your car purchase, it's the second major purchase after buying a house and pro-rata more costly and potentially more dangerous. To anyone buying a car with known potential problems, either accept the blackmail pricing of dealer servicing or buy a korean with 5-7 year warranty and if you ARE keeping it your dealer WILL negotiate on servicing prices, just ask!

Happy motoring!

No need to apologise. We are all on here to get common issues sorted out by hook or by crook, sorry , by car dealer (ooh! b****y!)

Your comments are welcomed, and I agree with you, maybe the time has come for me to broaden my car manufacture horizons to lands further afield. The Golf could well be on borrowed time in any case.

Regarding the research prior to buying, its the same old story, you get good and bad reviews everywhere, just like a holiday resort I suppose, and never find out the real truth until you are in the thick of things having shelled out biggish sums of hard earned cash. In the case of the ESP problem, it seems to have really come to light post-2008 anyway which wouldn't have helped us in 2007, but your sentiments are indeed very true.

I feel the blue touch paper being lit inside as we speak, and will sharpen those needles ready for a VW battle royal!

Thanks again!