Early 2001 (mk1) Ford Focus - 1.8 Tddi - 2001 ford focus turbo leaking air? - Miztaziggy

I have recently bought this ford focus and there seem to be a couple of problems.

1 - Creaks when moving slowly and turning - im assuming it is the sway bar links?

2 - It has just had a new clutch but when you lift up the clutch pedal in neutral, it sort of rattles a little bit. Sounds as though it is a rough bearing?

3 - Main problem - car feels underpowered.

Sat at 2k revs, a very slight touch on the throttle will make the car accelerate ok, but press further and the acceleration does not increase.

There is no black smoke, I have followed it in another car to check.

There is a slight sound of air blowing in the car, sounding as though it is coming from behind the steering wheel.When looking in the engine, there is a load of pipework there which I think is part of the EGR system? There is a container type cylinder with a couple of pipes and connectors going into the top of it.

When driving the air blowing sound starts as the engine picks up revs and then disappears when you press in the clutch. The sound remains constant when you leave the clutch engaged but lift off the accelerator.

It sounds as though there may be an air pressure leak somewhere, but im at a loss as to finding it? I did find that a small hose pipe that was supposed to be plugged onto the air filter box was uncoupled, so I reconnected that, but it hasnt made much of a difference. Any advice people? I cant get the turbo to spool up with the car stationary so I cant listen for the exact place. There must be a good way of finding splits/leaks etc?

Early 2001 (mk1) Ford Focus - 1.8 Tddi - 2001 ford focus turbo leaking air? - Peter D

Is there a warrentee, take it back to the vendor. Regards Peter

Early 2001 (mk1) Ford Focus - 1.8 Tddi - 2001 ford focus turbo leaking air? - Miztaziggy

Unfortunately not...going to have to find it myself

Early 2001 (mk1) Ford Focus - 1.8 Tddi - 2001 ford focus turbo leaking air? - Peter D

Was it from a dealer. Regards Peter

Early 2001 (mk1) Ford Focus - 1.8 Tddi - 2001 ford focus turbo leaking air? - ddr

Check the large air intake hoses from the turbo to the inlet manifold for leaks/splits, a common fault.

Edited by ddr on 07/04/2011 at 18:15

Ok, so I have had a closer look and found the following

A thin pipe from the inlet manifold to some sort of little sensor with 1 tube and 1 wire input had broken. I fixed that and some of the power feels to have returned. The sensor is fastened to the firewall between the engine and cockpit. Not sure what it might be though?

There were 2 other things though - and im not sure how much they matter.

1 - there is a split on the pipe coming from the air filter going into the turbo

2 - the pipe fromt the air intake to the bottom of the air filter is not attached to the bottom of the air filter. The air filter will therefore be sucking in air straight from the engine bay.

Are either of these two problems going to cause major problems? I guess they are both cheap and easy to fix.

Early 2001 (mk1) Ford Focus - 1.8 Tddi - 2001 ford focus turbo leaking air? - ddr

1 - there is a split on the pipe coming from the air filter going into the turbo

2 - the pipe fromt the air intake to the bottom of the air filter is not attached to the bottom of the air filter. The air filter will therefore be sucking in air straight from the engine bay.

Number 2 won't cause any major problem in itself, but number 1 will. If there is a split in this hose then the air metering will be inaccurate. To verify you can disconnect the airflow meter, which will then make the ECU run the engine with default values. See http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=MAF_(Mass_Air_Flow)_Sensor_Clean_130_TDCI for location.

Edited by ddr on 07/04/2011 at 22:22

Thanks ddr

Im not sure what you mean by disconnecting the MAF will verify?

The plan is to take off that hose and seal the split whilst I try to find a replacement. While im at it, im going to have a look for other splits because I wouldnt have thought that split I found would produce the hissing air leak sound?