Any - Daytime running lights - jonny1

I understood that all new cars registered from Feb 2011 must have daytime running lights but have noticed some 11 reg cars that dont seem to have them eg Honda crv Nissan Juke seen this morning plus others and wondered why this was.

Any - Daytime running lights - Ethan Edwards

DRL's another bit of EU rubbish regulations that we didn't need. I find them annoying.

Any - Daytime running lights - rcspeirs

I thought the law is that a model which first went on sale after Feb this year must have DRL. But cars in production before that date are OK.

It's not the registration date of the car that matters, it's when that model first went on sale.

Any - Daytime running lights - Andy P

Does it say that they have to be used? My '07 BMW has them, but there's the option in the iDrive to turn them off.

Any - Daytime running lights - Cymrogwyllt

The manual of my Polo has destructions on how to switch them off.

Any - Daytime running lights - jamie745

I believe they do have to be used yes, they're not headlights is the thing to remember, they're different, and they'll automatically come on when the engine is on. And then they will go off when/if you decide to manually turn your headlights on. I dont know if the regulation specifically means they have to be installed (with the option to turn them off) or if they have to be installed with no option to turn off. Alot of cars have them already but you can switch them off.

I couldnt care less if some lights come on when im driving to be honest, i dont look at the outside of the car when im in it. And with everyone driving very dull looking cars and all the blind beds and parked cars etc its easy for someone to fail to see something, usually because drivers in this country are mostly quite appalling at driving, which no amount of bulbs will fix, but i do sometimes feel i am invisible in the day time. Maybe the lights wouldnt be a bad idea. Obviously i can turn mine on if i so wish lol.

I think it will help with things like when its very overcast or drizzling, and things like a grey car really can seem invisible from a moderate distance, in my opinion drivers should put their lights on in conditions like that but they dont bother. But obviously with it being 11 cars onwards it'll take a good 15-20 years for it to be universal to almost every car on the road. But its a start.

I suppose if it stops one person pulling out and crashing into something because they didnt see it then its worthwhile.

Edited by jamie745 on 07/04/2011 at 13:58

Any - Daytime running lights - fredthefifth

Don't a lot of new cars have an 'Auto' setting for the lights? On mine it can be set to auto or just used as normal in manual mode.

Any - Daytime running lights - Dwight Van Driver

ECE 48 (and its pethora of amendments - too many to sit down and go through this sunny day) deals with amongst other lamps etc, daytime running lights (DRL).

"Daytime running lamp" means a lamp facing in a forward direction used to makethe vehicle more easily visible when driving during daytime;

6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for
the engine to operate. However, daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the automatic transmission control is in the park or neutral position, while the
parking brake is applied or after the propulsion system is activated but the vehicle was not set in motion for the first time.
The daytime running lamps shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog llamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give
intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals. Furthermore, the lamps referred to in paragraph 5.11. are not switched ON when
the daytime running lamps are switched ON.

As to whether they are mandatory it would seem under EEC law in some states they are. As far as UK in concerned to be made mandatory then this may be through the Typer Approval system as to fitment as to use then it will require a Statutory Instrument amending Road vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 which I have as yet to see.

dvd

Any - Daytime running lights - jc2

ECE 48 (and its pethora of amendments - too many to sit down and go through this sunny day) deals with amongst other lamps etc, daytime running lights (DRL).

Surely you should be quoting EEC(EC) directives rather than ECE regulations.

Any - Daytime running lights - Andy P

That sounds like the instructions for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

Any - Daytime running lights - OG

"intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals"

They could've just written "flashed" but that's the EU for you. Why use one word when you can use six.

Any - Daytime running lights - jonny1

On my new model Sportage there is no option to turn off the DRLs but they double up as sidelights when lights switched on but they dim down to about half illumination as they can be quite dazeling on full power even on a bright day.

Any - Daytime running lights - alan1302

If all cars have them how will they stand out from all the others?

Any - Daytime running lights - daveyjp
Over winter I saw plenty of vehicles just on DRLs when it was dark. The dumb drivers obviously thought this was OK as they had lights on, except DRL does not turn any of the rear lights on.

In the same way it works at night. Cars dont stand out from each other at night, you just see that they are there. And in the short term they will stand out from each other, as pre-11 cars wont have them. It'll take many years for it to be so widespread that every car has them.

Any - Daytime running lights - Bilboman

Overall I'm in favour of DRLs from the safety angle, but I'm not fully convinced that they will bring significant benefits once they are widespread, as happened with hi-vis vests, high level brakelights, etc. Initial novelty value, a perceived advantage for the few cars equipped with them, then finally they get "lost in the crowd". A fluorescent pink car would stand out, but if all cars were painted this revolting hue, cars would once again become "invisible."

Incidentally, one of my pet hates is following a car with ONLY the high level brake light working, and I'm sure the main brake lights are actually disconnected or their bulbs removed by some kind of brain-dead fashion victim.

Any - Daytime running lights - Reentrant

DRLs make motorbikes (even) less visible to car drivers. I speak as a driver of both.

Any - Daytime running lights - RT

Biking groups lobbied long and hard against this directive but lost the argument in the end.

Personally I don't see that DRLs on cars will reduce bikers visibility - if a driver can see lights, there's a vehicle there - what sort is immaterial.

Cars are a big object though so if you can’t see it then you should not be on the road.

It’s not good for bikes as they will blend in with all the other lights and I think in the long run it could increase the amount of accidents where bikers are hit.

Also for me, I don’t like them as I have quite light sensitive eyes and it’s the overall brightness of the DRL that is the major problem for me. At night time it is ok as a bright light counteracts the darkness but during the day there is no need at all for bright lights on. If a bright light was needed all the time then lighthouses would run 24/7

I think motorbikes should be forced to have lights on and wear high vis at all times. Day or night.

Yes alan cars are large but on something like an overcast day, pulling out of somewhere with cars parked at the side of the road, cant see whats coming, everybody in grey cars as they are these days, you can find yourself not knowing somethings there until its too late. If it has lights on you'll see the lights coming, like you do at night.

And people are missing the point, trying to say it wont work when all cars have them, but it will. Because it works at night. Nobody here would say "well every car has lights on at night and as a result we dont see them now" would you?

Its not designed to make cars stand out from each other, its to give them a beacon so you know its there! If, say in five years when it becomes more widespread, some study comes out to say daytime accidents have taken a major decrease then i suppose it will prove it worthwhile.

And as for the argument of cars having these lights makes bikes more invisible, well, Mr Motorbike, feel free to put your lights on also, so as you stand out with a big beacon like the cars do. Motorbikes make up a tiny proportion of traffic yet seem to manage to be involved in about 90% of crashes LOL! So take some responsability, you're riding a death trap to start off with, do everything you can to make yourself seen.

And the "its not good for bikes as they will blend in with other lights and increase accidents" is a non starter. Would you tell a biker to turn their lights off at night? So as they dont blend in with the other lights to make themselves safer?

No, of course not.

"if lights were needed 24/7 then lighthouses would run 24/7" im sorry but thats another strawman argument. The light isnt on the lighthouse for you to see the lighthouse. Its there so as you can see the coast. Which you can see in daylight anyway. You dont need to see the lighthouse in daytime do you? Its not what its for.

By using a lighthouse as an analogy, you are essentially saying there is no need to see a car in the daytime. Which i find alarming, i think you do need to see them.

I think alot of this resistance to the rule (a law which applies to manufactuers, not to drivers, you as a driver dont h ave to do anything. so i dont see why people care about it so much) is because its the EU. And much like in the old days when they wanted to make seat belts compulsory, people plain and simple didnt like it, and would come up with any load of rubbish to justify not wearing one. People would say "oh its much safer to be thrown clear from the car than trapped in!" and rubbish like that, in a desperate attempt to not do as they're told. And this will be the same.

There are places in Europe where its compulsory to have your lights on at all times and carry a spare set with you, and failure to do so results in a harsh penalty, and it seems to work well for them.

Edited by jamie745 on 08/04/2011 at 15:00

Any - Daytime running lights - jc2

EEC (EC) directives usually have two different dates of enforcement;the first is for new models being homolgated for the first time-the second-usually twelve months later-is for ALL registrations after that date.

Any - Daytime running lights - Hamsafar

Originally everyone who didn't have DRL was going to have to turn dipped headlights on during the day from 2014. Did this get through to the final version that was enacted?

Edited by Hamsafar on 08/04/2011 at 22:45

Any - Daytime running lights - Mike H

Can't answer the question as such, but Austria passed a law some three years ago making the use of dipped headlights mandatory at all times - then repealed it after a year, no idea why. But most cars here used dipped lights at all times anyway. Personally I think it's just something you get used to, and certainly on some of the mountain roads, under trees etc. it's definitely a help rather than an annoyance.

Any - Daytime running lights - Sofa Spud

I don't see any proiblem with daytime running lights - the Mk6 Golf, for instance, looks good with them on. I can't see how anyone would find daytine running lights any more annoying than, say, that lime green paint that Ford do for Fiestas and Ka's !!

I find them annoying as unlike a simple dipped haedlight the DLR lights like found on new Audi's and a new Citroen are high intensity bright white LED's that are much too bright and distract the attention.

Any - Daytime running lights - Paul G1pdc

how come the drl's are only on the front headlights...

my 11 year old volvo has day time lights. 2 on the front, 4 bulbs on the rear, and 4 orange bulbs (1 each corner) (they can be turned off by pulling various combinations of indicators and ignition switch posistions.)

and over my way everyone seems to like copying the common drls mounted near the fog lights...ie yesterday afternoon 5pm. on the A43. a Y reg bmw 3 series with side lights and fogs......(mind you don't fog lights on bmws add another 50hp....ducks under desk and awaits volvo bashing from bmw owners grin....)

Any - Daytime running lights - markweatherill

If all cars have them how will they stand out from all the others?

Each year's new models will simply have brighter DRLs than the year before.

Fortunately LED technology is advancing at such a rate that this will be possible. One side effect will be the need to make windscreen tinting mandatory to stop drivers being blinded.

Any - Daytime running lights - Geordie1

Apologies in advance if the following points have already been covered...

As from 7th February 2011 all cars registered within the UK after that date AND which are new design models manufactured after that date, must be fitted with DRL's.

Those who are considering disabling the system would be wise to check with their insurer that in doing so they are not voiding the terms of their policy re altering the spec of the vehicle and thus would be uninsured..

Edited by Geordie1 on 13/04/2011 at 22:18

Any - Daytime running lights - unthrottled

I hate them. I think the move is a fallacy. It might well be the case that when a minority of cars are fitted with attention grabbing gimmicks like gaudy colours or bright lights, they are statistically less likely to be involved in an accident. But that is because they detract attention away from more dimly lit objects (especially cyclists and pedestrians). I think a lot of lights are now on the ragged edge of being blinding and creating a hazard for other drivers. If I'm approached by a car with obnoxiously bright lights I now put my full beam on so they can appreciate how unpleasant it is to be subjected to a blinding floodlight. Yes, it is convenient to drive around with blackpool illuminations emanating from the nose of your car. It's also very selfish.

I saw a couple of VW Golf's today with these lights on, whether it made me see a vehicle which otherwise i wouldnt is impossible to say, i'd like to think it made no difference, but i dont think what is essentially sidelights on in the daytime are going to blind people with dazzling blackpool-esque illuminations.

Any - Daytime running lights - unthrottled

Fair point. It's people driving around with very bright lights (day or night) that I find obnoxious. I suppose DRL might dissuade people from doing this...

Its worth remembering that people dont choose how bright their headlights are LOL. I personally only use my high beam on roads with both no cars and no streetlights, which is a very rare occurence, but sometimes on just normal beam if you look at the car from a certain angle (if it goes over a speed bump coming towards you, for example) it can dazzle you. I find dazzling more of a problem in lower down cars like my now former girlfriends SLK. I dont know if that has anything to do with it but it seems to.

People have their own opinions on SUV's but i must say when i drove my mums old Shogun at night i never got dazzled in that by anything, as it was high up.

Any - Daytime running lights - ndbw

To alan1302 Lighthouses do display 24/7 they need to give warning in poor visibility as well as in darkness.

ndbw

Any - Daytime running lights - MikeTorque

>> The manual of my Polo has destructions on how to switch them off.

It does indeed, except now the manual is no longer up to date.

On a new Polo it's no longer possible to turn off the DTRs, even a VW dealership is not allowed to turn them off. In fact the DTRs on a Polo include the main beam lights, rear lights and speed/rev dials, all to do with being as visible as possible apparently.

The utterly bonkers thing is when the daylight starts to dull the speed/rev dials lights turn off thus eventually forcing the driver to turn the light control to main beam which then turns on the speed/rev dials lights again, why when they were already on anyway, go figure !

Any - Daytime running lights - Hamsafar

"when the daylight starts to dull the speed/rev dials lights turn off thus eventually forcing the driver to turn the light control to main beam which then turns on the speed/rev dials lights again, why when they were already on anyway, go figure !"

Precisely for that reason.

Any - Daytime running lights - OldSkoOL

My car has them but i disable them on the idrive and choose to only use them when the visibility is poor, dusk or dull/grey days.

I think they look a bit silly is gleaming sunshine.

Any - Daytime running lights - captain chaos

It's so they can be seen by motorcyclists

Hopefully one day these idiotic things will be banned and the roads might be a little safer for the motorcyclist. Don't hold your breath.

Any - Daytime running lights - MikeTorque

>> Precisely for that reason.

What reason ? The dipped beam lights are on in daylight, the drivers console panel lights are on in daylight, the rear lights are on in daylight. What's the point of turning off the drivers console panel lights when it gets dark ?

The answer is, VW changed its mind on Polo's daytime lights. It use to only enable the front dipped beam lights and the drivers console panel lights, the rear lights were not turned on during daylight hours.
To ensure the driver remembered to turn on the rear lights when it turned dark VW chose to turned off the console lights as a reminder to the driver to turn the light switch to the night lights position.

What they haven't yet done is upgraded the necessary software to be inline with the actual lighting functionality.

Edited by MikeTorque on 21/04/2011 at 00:29