Yam XJR 1300 - Puncture repair - are they safe? - Jugg

I ride a Yamaha XJR1300 and have recently had a rear tyre puncture. As the tyre, a Continental Motion, has only covered around 400 miles I decided to have it repaired rather than replaced. The tyre had "Slime" in it which probaly slowed the deflation but didn't seal the puncture. I have suffered several punctures inthe past but usually on older tyres so had them replaced. I have only had one other tyre "plugged" abd this went on for several thousand more milescwith no problems. I know its a bit late to ask this now but just how safe are these repairs at prolonged motorway speed? Any experiences out there?

Yam XJR 1300 - Puncture repair - are they safe? - SteveLee

I've never heard of a problem as long as it was done correctly I cannot any reason why it shouldn't last.

Yam XJR 1300 - Puncture repair - are they safe? - martint123

I would have no problem running with a repaired tyre. Provided it was a proper repair, using a proper "mushroom" patch done by someone who knows what what are doing.

I am a little surprised they fixed it to a tyre that had been "slimed" though - tehy usually hate those and dump them immediately.

Yam XJR 1300 - Puncture repair - are they safe? - Jugg

Thanks both for your comments. The repair was carried out at a workshop that I know so trust them to have done a quality job. They made no comment about the Slime causing problems but there was a fairly hefty labour charge which I guess was for cleaning the puncture area. Thanks again

Yam XJR 1300 - Puncture repair - are they safe? - Vinnychoff

I had the same issue, two or three times in the same tyre. I think on the last fix wattlings said that they would not do any more. each time i had a screw in the tyre and it was not very old. I travel 50 miles to work and use the bike to its cababilty occasionally. I never had a issue and the tyre has been replaced after the tread was down to the legal limit. I would say as long as the garage have done a good job they you should have no worries. If you have the slightest worry then change the tyre as it might be on your mind each time you go out. If it was me then as with my experience it was no issue at all.

Vinny

Yam XJR 1300 - Puncture repair - are they safe? - bangers

i`ve had plugs in tyres for years and never had one go bad had one done last month £15 all in safer then using slime :)