peugeot 106 speedo cable - mav
any ideas on how to change the speedo has stopped working
tried to get the instrument cluster out but it wont come ithink the cable is stopping it and i cant get my hands behind to release the cable.
also where does it connect on the gearbox
many thanks
peugeot 106 speedo cable - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Absolute bitch of a job. If you remove the trim under the crash pad, above the pedals you can worm your hand up behind the dash towards the left of the binnacle. The cable follows a tortuous route over the heater then thro the bulkhead above the passengers feet. It is a push fit into the gearbox mingling with the selector mechanism and retained with a rubber plug thingy. The tortuous route makes failure common and the original cable is fitted before the heater so you have to hack out a lot of the sound deadening above the heater to get the old one out and the new in. Trick is to cut the ball off the new cable (which locks it into the bulkhead) and feed the new cable in from the drivers side then superglue the ball back on afterwards.
Be really careful with the routing otherwise the new one will break in a couple of hundred miles (personal experience!)
Andrew
Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
any ideas on how to change. the speedo has stopped working
tried to get the instrument cluster out but it wont come ithink the cable is stopping it and i cant get my hands behind to release the cable.
also where does it connect on the gearbox
many thanks
peugeot 106 speedo cable - Dynamic Dave
Have Peugeot not moved into the 21st Century yet? Still using a cable to drive the speedo? You'll be telling me next they still use cables for the braking system as well!! :o)
peugeot 106 speedo cable - Reggie
I changed the speedo cable on my sons 106 "k" reg 2 months ago. The speedo head is held in with a few torx screws (5 minutes), then pull it forwards and disconnect the cable from the speedo head,then remove the drop down draw (glove box)at the passenger side, this gives you access to where the cable goes through the bulkhead and through "the ball". Pull this out and then cut down in a straight cut to the cable. This facilitates putting the new cable back into the ball. Glue this up with some inner-tube glue or similar (with the new cable in when it is time). Put the car on some ramps and locate where the cable goes into the gearbox (near the bulkhead side of the gearbox near to where the left driveshaft exits I think and you will see the rubber plug which is wedge/cone shaped.Pull on the "thick" end, and the wedge will come out of its hole and the cable will then disconnect from the drive unit. As they say, thats all there is to it. Replacement is reversal of removal.
thanks all for the indepth replies i am goin to tackle ir tomorrow i had alook a while ago and the prob i had was i could not get the speedo cluster out i undone all the screws and it was free but i could not get my hand behind to undo the speedo cable so i think if all else fails i will give it a good yank
peugeot 106 speedo cable - Reggie
Are you sure that you are removing all the screws from the speedo head? I say this because when I had, it pulled forward quite easily. The other option would be to take the "glovebox" off first,(which I think is only held on by 4 screws if my poor memory serves me well, and is a bit of a contortionists job) and cut the cable in two at that point. Then if it was the cable holding the speedo head back, that would definately release it, although you would then also definately need a new cable!
The only other point is that it is clipped in behind the heater with about two cleverly designed cable clips, and I did fail to re-clip it as access to the clips was nigh on impossible, but it appears to no ill effect. I never had any problems with the sound deadening as Andrew Moorey has had,I found a route through quite easily. And finally make a note of how it runs past the gear linkage before you take it off. It's much easier than trying to work it out afterwards as I did.
Good luck.