rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - T4mmx

Our rover started smoking badly from the exhaust with a smell of burning oil, we were advised it was the turbo so we changed it, now the car still smokes and smells, and there is loads of exhaust in the exhaust, can anyone help me im getting so frustrated with it

rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - Peter.N.

What colour is the smoke?

rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - T4mmx

hi its a blue/grey colour

rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - Peter.N.

I assume this is a petrol engine if so blue smoke is caused by the engine burning the sump oil, faulty turbo seals would give this effect as would worn valve guides or excessive bore wear. If its valve guides it will only usually do it when the car is first started, if it is there continiously its either excessive engine wear or the turbo again.

rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - injection doc

when these have suffered turbo failure the oil in the exhaust takes a long time to burn off ! it would need miles of motorway hard work to burn off! I have known pistons to fail on the turbo models. If you could get hold of an old glass spark plugs ( tuner ) for the life of me the names gone ! you could let it idle briefly and check for an orange burn, if its orange it will indicate oil burning and you may need to be able to track down to a cylinder. The engine must be hot first and the tunning plugs get very very hot very quickly, do not drive with it fitted.

Oh dear someone help me with the name its on the tip of me tounge

rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - TeeCee

> glass spark plugs ( tuner ) for the life of me the names gone !

That'll be a Gunsons Colourtune. Orange=Rich, White=Lean, Blue=OK.

I never knew that unexpected orangeness meant oil though. You live and learn.....

rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - dadbif
A compression tester would give you a better idea of what is going on, as previously mentioned, smoke at start up indicates worn valve guides or stem seals, prolonged smoking whilst driving would point to cylinder wear or piston rings, a compression test will confirm this ( or not)
rover 75 1,8 - Smoke from exhaust - injection doc

Thank you Tee cee, yeah oil burning goes orange as well ! usefull in the days before cylinder leakage kits and to track one cylinder burning oil, as if a spark plug didnt give it away already.