Vauxhall Astra MkV 1.7 CDTI (diesel) - Engine management light - Englishbullterrier

Here's an interesting one that I'd like some views on if possible.

First thing in morning, all works well when switching on the ignition. All lights come on, as they should and all go out after pre-check.

When I start it, (cranking slightly longer than normal) the engine management light comes on after a short time (car with spanner). If I keep driving, it stays on but with NO deterioration in performance. I can get rid of it by switching off the engine (declutching obviously), switching back on and then bump starting it. It then stays off for the rest of the run AND I don't get the problem when restarting it after a short stop. I think this last information is key.

It's an 05 plate, ex-poilice car with 158,000 miles and on the ORIGINAL battery. The built in hydrometer does not show green after sitting (ie, not charged) and that coupled with the extra cranking time leads me to believe it might be a battery problem.

Does anyone think the same or know if there is any battery sensing ciruits that are very voltage sensitive that might cause this ?

A decent battery (in excess of 600 CCA) is about £100 and I'll get one eventually, but would like some others advice if there is any out there.

Many thanks................ebt

Vauxhall Astra MkV 1.7 CDTI (diesel) - Engine management light - Englishbullterrier

Bump...

Vauxhall Astra MkV 1.7 CDTI (diesel) - Engine management light - elekie&a/c doctor

The alternator has a type of smart charge circuit where the field duty cycle signal is provided from the engine control unit.I would think it possible that if battery voltage /conductance were outside tolerances then this could bring on mil light.I would replace battery .Buy it from vauxhall dealer as they seem to be excellent value for the right product.hth

Thanks hth, I'm fitting a 690 CCA Oldham tomorrow. Will let you know.

One other thing to report, is that if I keep driving, the indication switches off after about 3 miles........ebt

b*****, new battery failed to solve the problem, but I needed one anyway. The engine management light only comes on when engine is cold and goes out after a few minutes.

Took it to have codes read, but nothing stored. Think I'll have try get them read when it's cold and still showing the light.

One thing extra. The car has started "drumming", but that I mean it has always had a single tone tickover but nows it occasiiponally "drums" as if it firing on 3 and a half cylinders.

Maybe an injector is on the way out ? I know nothing about CR diesels and whether they can indicate failure via the ECU ?.......ebt

Bump....ebt

Vauxhall Astra MkV 1.7 CDTI (diesel) - Engine management light - OldBean

Hi,

I just wanted to know if you every got to the bottom of this? I'm thinking of buying a Vauxhall Astra MkV 1.7 CDTI that's had the sensor light reset but keeps coming back and stays on. They're saying that theres no loss in performance.

Thanks in advance for your help.