any - 80 mph limit on motorways - oldroverboy

I read HJ's article on this siteabout the proposed increase in the motorway speed limit and Brake (the anti motoring charity) saying it will lead to more deaths etc etc.

When i am on the motorwayhere in West wales(M4) doing a true 70mph i am still being overtaken by lots of cars, many of whom are doing approaching 90mph and the odd lunatic having fun at the ton! And some of those are white van men, but get to Cardiff east to newport east and the limit is 50 with lots and lots of average speed cameras so all of a sudden everyone is doing 50. Surely the powers that be can invest in a few more (400) cameras for the rest of the M4, 200 each way and then set the cameras to nick anyone over 80, european levels of fines (makes your eyes water!) see how that does for speed control.

Sorry not april 1st yet...

incidentally last week went from carmarten to west london 210 miles 3 hours 10 mins roads eerily empty between 10.15 and 1.30 in the day. fuel cost seems to have stopped a lot of driving and slowed down lots of people too. But 4 of us went by car, cost 46 lites in diesel round trip, train fare would have been £67 each + 2 underground tickets zone 9 @£11 each so far cheaper for us to drive,

Edited by OldRoverboy on 16/03/2011 at 16:47

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - dereckr

"train fare would have been £67 each..."

Not wishing to push this thread off topic, but you have omitted the running costs of the vehicle per mile. Of course the car is the lowest cost option for four people, but 46 litres of diesel costs around £63. You should double that figure (at least) for your true cost per mile.

Edited by dereckr on 16/03/2011 at 23:36

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - oldroverboy

Thanks dereckr, see your point, but as running costs are subjective, i own the car, bought far below market value, no finance, resale value nil as far as i'm concerned, just the costs of tax, currently £185, insurance £245, annual service was £217 last week, will allow for £150 for 2 new tyres in a few months time, by my calculations running costs were £48.60 + fuel £63, still good for 1 person compared to £67 +£22 for underground tickets. It wasn't really about costs though, it was about the empty roads too!

happy motoring

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Roly93

"train fare would have been £67 each..."

Not wishing to push this thread off topic, but you have omitted the running costs of the vehicle per mile. Of course the car is the lowest cost option for four people, but 46 litres of diesel costs around £63. You should double that figure (at least) for your true cost per mile.

This is the circular argument that always rages about public transport vs running a car. However the fact is that unless you live in a major city which you hardly ever leave, you need a car. When you have got a car you have paid for the running costs ie Insurance, TAX and services so you might as well use it.

I go to see my parents in West Wales regularly, and to do this by rail would cost an arm and a leg, and be grossly inconvenient and time consuming. In the car it is exactly 200 miles, I can do this in 3 1/2 hours. By train I would have to get a TAXI to the station, change trains in Swansea and walk the last 1/2 mile from the final station with luggage etc. Not to mention the limited timetable when you move very far away from a major town.

I'm sorry but I am remaining as 'Mondeo Man' as one of our politicians once put it.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - craig-pd130
Interesting that you saw very little traffic on that journey, this is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard this mentioned recently. I wonder if traffic levels have decreased generally across the UK?

Not sure what an 80mph limit would mean on motorways -- for example would it mean trucks and HGVs having a higher speed limit too?

I've posted this before, but with my old B5.5 Passat, I would get better mpg on motorways by cruising at a steady 85ish in normal traffic conditions.

I found cruising at 70ish in the same road conditions would mean that I was often being baulked by trucks, and having to decelerate / accelerate more.

The higher cruising speed enabled a more consistent pace with less slowing down and speeding up. Also the Passat seemed to have a 'sweet spot' at that speed and rpm in top gear.

Before people jump down my throat about a) speeding or b) how it can't POSSIBLY be more economical to drive at higher speed, I'm talking about my particular car, used in the give-and-take of everyday, working-week motorway conditions.

I'm sure that, given a clear motorway with light traffic, I would have got better mpg cruising at 70mph. But I was rarely on clear motorways with light traffic.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 17/03/2011 at 09:56

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - 659FBE

You make an interesting point concerning speed versus fuel consumption but as you point out, your comments are specific to one car model. As I have almost the same vehicle (Skoda Superb AWX) but for a longer wheel base and a slightly heavier body - which is of little consequence under steady state conditions - I thought I'd try to repeat your observations.

To cut to the point, I can't quite achieve a lower fuel consumption under steady state conditions (using cruise) at 80 as opposed to 70 mph. BUT the difference is very marginal - the more so in view of the car's in built measuring equipment. I was surprised by this and thought a little about it.

Although VAG and others will never release proper SFC (specific fuel consumption) curves for their engines, I've tested enough diesels to know that the lowest SFC will nearly always coincide roughly with the engine speed corresponding to max torque. Another factor is the low drag of the B5.5 body. Theoretically the Superb clone should have a lower drag than the Passat because it's longer - but VAG gave up shouting about drag coefficients by the time this car got to the bottom of the model pile and won a Skoda sticker.

So, I suspect your slightly surprising result is a combination of running the engine nearer to its speed corresponding to its lowest SFC and also to the vehicle having a very efficient shape. Many models have either not progressed or have regressed in this respect (SUVs for instance).

Interesting observations - usual conclusions: You can't buck the laws of Physics and careful design pays dividends. The PD was the first car-sized diesel to out perform a fossil fuelled power station in terms of SFC. This highly significant point has been totally lost by the politicians leading to some highly questionable policies.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Sofa Spud

Obviously there are conditions where 80 mph in a private car are safe on the motorway - dry weather, light traffic levels, good visibility etc. It would be nice to be able to put the foot down and cruise legally at 80 mph occasionally.

But there are problems. For much of the time on many of our crowded motorways, 70 mph is quite fast enough. If the speed limit was put up to 80, then there would be pressure on car drivers to drive 'up to the limit' if they're in any lane other than the inside lane. On the other hand, if the limit was put up to 80 but strictly enforced with harsher penalties, then the actual speed situation on motorways might not be very different from what we see now.

If they do propose to raise the limit to 80 mph, then there should be a trial on a suitable stretch of motorway first, one that doesn't get too busy (in relative terms).

Edited by Sofa Spud on 17/03/2011 at 11:29

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Dutchie

Driving about 80mph on the motorway is not excessive in my opinion depending on traffic and weather conditions.The motorway police know this, once over ninety mph you start pushing your luck and the cops will have a word and a fine.This has been my experience driving a lot of miles years ago.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - veryoldbear

I thought there was already a trial on the M4 between J13 and J12 Eastbound ...

I thought there was already a trial on the M4 between J13 and J12 Eastbound ...

I live in this area and use this stetch every week, I didn't know this. A trial in what way ??

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - craig-pd130

@659 -- the B5.5 was a very slippery shape, 0.29CD if I remember.

I had the AVF with 6-speed box, and to me it never felt happier than at 2,650rpm. Once I was at this rpm in 6th, it would hold on to the revs up gentle motorway gradients etc without needing any extra accelerator input.

I felt this must have been a 'sweet spot' at which the torque curve hasn't started falling away too sharply, and the power curve is still rising.

As mentioned, though, I attribute much of the better economy at higher speed to the fact I was better able to maintain a steady pace. At lower speeds, I had to do more braking & accelerating.
any - 80 mph limit on motorways - dadbif
As I mentioned ina previous post, Spain has lowered the upper speed limit from 120kph to 110kph, now that I have experienced the effects of this I have to saw it is absolute madness, the traffic police will pull you for 111kph, as a result everyone sticks exactly to 110 or whatever their speedo says is 110, this causes
Bunching with no clean overtaking, most car speedos read high, but everyone is frightened of getting booked, being overtaken by a car doing 1kph more is unnerving especially when you have another idiot on your bumper doing the same speed as you. Last weekend, the first withthe newt it there were 15 fatalities , no improvement.
any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Pizza man

i spent 18 months cruising on the motorway at 56mph in my lexus LS400 to save fuel...and getting about 18mpg

i was in a hurry one week (just wasn't getting ready in time) so was rushing along at 80mph.....and got 24mpg......

I though ok thats strange so spent next week doing 70mph and got 21mpg then another week doing 80mph and again got 24mpg......i was then annoyed at all the fuel i wasted and time i wasted trying to be more economical, i ow cruise along at 80mph everyday, i'd like to try 90 or 100 when i go to germany one day see how it goes then.

1995 Lexus LS400 4 litre V8 4 speed autobox weighs about 1675kg aerodrag is 0.29 Cd (this is actually fractionally better then my wifes Seat Ibiza Ecomotive that has an aerodynamic kit on it, which gets 75mpg if you have a very good run with no traffic, and then again it's supposed to do 90mpg extraurban....80mpg combined, it gets nowhere near it, My LS is supposed to get 25mpg it gets 20mpg....) 4th gear is designed to do up to about 160mph so i guess the higher speed puts engine into a better torque map.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - ianhad2

My Almera GTi was far more economical at higher speeds. So, bring it on.

Why not have the autobahn system they have in Germany.130KM Top speed is advisory.What are the Spanish authority trying to prove save on fuel?And more accidents are caused by drivers driving bumper to bumper.Strange way of making laws a bit like the states where the majority of drivers go faster than 55mph.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - ForumNeedsModerating

What a silly 'idea'. Just what we need, with fuel prices going through the roof & enough numpties on the road doing 90+ mph at the moment, 100mph will become the new 90 - a boy racers' charter!

Add in the speed differential (especially on a 2-lane NSL) of 56mph trucks & 90+ mph cars - recipe for disaster in my view. I see few people who can drive with awareness & safety at 70mph, what they'll be like at (the probable) new 90+ doesn't bear thought.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - justadriver

But, the price of fuel is driving some "numpties" off the road as was said earlier by others less traffic, which as a result is moving better. Did I see anyone suggesting 80 on two lane roads or dual carriageways? I too think that the long stretches with average speed cameras are better at controlling speed. Anyway, off to europe in the car soon, and will be no speeding, 'cos can't afford the 300 euros on the spot for minor infringements. Not even a single beer will pass my lips if i'm driving, automatic prison for 1 month im switzerland i think + horrendous fines

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Big_Guy

In my experience it isnt the 'boy racers' pushing a ton on the motorway, it is ordinary joe public drivers. I believe in this day and age you cannot pigeon hole a particular driver by what car they drive, their age etc etc. We are all capable of speeding and exploiting the speed limits. Even my humble Yaris will do a ton.

In my experience it isnt the 'boy racers' pushing a ton on the motorway, it is ordinary joe public drivers. I believe in this day and age you cannot pigeon hole a particular driver by what car they drive, their age etc etc. We are all capable of speeding and exploiting the speed limits. Even my humble Yaris will do a ton.

i used to do a ton in my old Mk1 micra 1 litre GSX, everntually got a sports car and then stuck to speed limits as no challenge involved.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Leif

In my view Brake, who are against this, are a bunch of extremists who will only be happy when we have a car following someone walking along with a red flag. 80 mph sounds sensible to me. It is often not possible to do 70 never mind 80, but when the roads are clear, why not.

Yes the train is outrageous. I'd much rather drive, and pop into a supermarket on the way back to do shopping, or stop for a coffee.

Most police if asked outright will admit that they would never nick anyone for doing 80 in good weather on a clear motorway, though I cant vouch for those slimey toad like creatures that sit in their white vans on the bridges !!

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Sofa Spud

I have a lot of time for organisations like Brake, although I don't belong to it.

There's a substantial minority of drivers with a kind of libertarian, gung-ho, wild-west attitude on our busy roads who think rules are there to be broken and what matters is not getting caught. While there are such risk-taking drivers about, we need safety organisations to counterbalance them.

I don't know how many people on here have children, but I think it's when they're coming up to 17 and learning to drive or riding about in other youngsters' cars that one becomes acutely aware of road safety issues.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/03/2011 at 10:33

I don't know how many people on here have children, but I think it's when they're coming up to 17 and learning to drive or riding about in other youngsters' cars that one becomes acutely aware of road safety issues.

Kid's will drive like tits they always will not much you can do only if you limit learngin till theres a proper attitude test or there 30 will new drivers be "safe" and even then no experience doesn't help.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Pat L

If anyone believes that most drivers observe the current speed limit on quiet motorways they're deluding themselves imo! Most cars do 80+ and vans 70+. If we raise the limit to 80mph you can add 10mph to those speeds, making 90-100mph even more commonplace and, therefore, increasing the danger.

Where is the danger on a quiet motorway driving at 80+ instead of 70+?The danger in speeding in my opinion is related to weather and traffic conditions.

I don't know the accident ratio on the German Autobahn with our motorways regarding speeding if it is more or less.

Would variable speed limits be the answer and properly enforced on the motorway just a thought.
any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Pat L

The reason I mention 'quiet' is just because a lot of the time the traffic is too heavy for 'speeding' to occur. I just think that the real 'limit' on motorways is about 80mph, and raising the official limit will just mean that many cars will be doing approx 85-90mph and if there is a pile-up the the results will be much worse. I've seen the aftermath of a few pile-ups at the current speed limit and they were pretty horrendous, just bits of cars scattered across the carriageway. Not nice.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Smileyman

I support the move to 80mph speed limit on motorways, but perhaps not all 2 lane sections, as there is greater scope for conflict for road space between HGV doing 60 and cars at 80. I drive frequently on M2 / M26 both of which are 2 lane as well as other 3+ lane motorways. (M2 is 2 lane beyond the services).

My experience in France is on 2 lane sections there is more need to vary speed to allow for slower traffic using both lanes.

It is a shame we have have had to wait until so long drive at 80mph legally, personally, with such high fuel prices I've made a conscious effort to stick to 70mph - especially when driving for work as my 40p per mile is fixed irrespective of my fuel costs. Compared to when I was in France driving at 80mph my current mpg has improved.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - happy polo

I can't agree with the point about average speeds cams being a good thing on M-ways, or any other fast road. Generally people use their judgement when it comes to speeds, with the odd glance at the dial to confirm and adjustments where needed. When you make these damned cameras part of the equation suddenly everyone focuses the majority of their attention on their speedo, and only what little remains on the road ahead. To enforce speed limits to the point where people's driving becomes paranoid and artificial is a dangerous thing. People should be allowed to use the judgement that any good driver should have to regulate their speed, within sensible boundaries. If your judgement, innocently or otherwise, allows you stray beyond acceptability, then a punishment is fair enough. Most drivers would manage this without a problem.

I've been pulled for speeding on a M-way, very late in the evening on a clear night, in light traffic. The officers had a word, and then allowed me on my way. They had a perfectly legitimate opportunity to issue a ticket, but they didn't. No ticket, no points. The reason being that my driving, whilst faster than it should've been, was safe in every other sense, in terms of overtaking, distances and general road manners etc. The moral would appear to be that if your driving style is reasonable, then your speed alone, provided it's not stupidly quick, probably won't get you in too much grief. On that basis, the current limit of 70, with an unofficial 'nod' to touching somewhere around 80, seems to work pretty fine most of the time.

any - 80 mph limit on motorways - Focus_Driver
When people on here say 70mph or 80mph are you talking about the speedo or actual speed? ie. car speedos over-read by 4mph so 70 is really 66 and 80 is 76. On motorways driving at 70 (66) seems a tad too slow but 80 (76) feels like borderline too fast, yet I always seem to do either 70 or 80 depending on mood, conditions etc.

A slightly off topic question. If you do 70mph at 2500rpm in 5th gear on the motorway and compare that to 50mph at 2500rpm in 4th gear on an A road, which one uses the most fuel (per hour say)? Is it always the one at the highest speed? Assuming traffic coniditions and everthing else are the same in both scenarios.
any - 80 mph limit on motorways - amj

I for one am an advocate of raising the speed limit on motorways. The current 70 limit was put in place decades ago. Car technology, brake system improvements (ABS, Discs all round etc) and tyre developments mean that in theory at least you would stop faster and safer from 80mph today than you would have from 70 30 years ago. I find that on any motorway the general flow of traffic is around 80 anyway. Would this increase to 90 with a higher limit? Theres one way to find out!

And why not do what some other countries do and have a lower limit for bad weather? With the increase of signage that can be changed would it be so difficult to have different limits depending on conditions?

Those who drive in excess of the current speed limit will continue to do so whatever the limit. Those who stick to the limit will also do so whatever the limit.

And before anyone comes out with the old "speed kills" nonsense i would say that a more reasonable phrase could well be "inappropriate use of speed kills" Personally i would feel much safer doing 80 or 90 on an empty 3 lane motorway than 30 past a school at going home time. yet im only doing a third of the speed so must be 3 times as safe surely? And within the posted speed limit too!

Edited by amj on 20/03/2011 at 13:14