Ford Galaxy 02 TDi Ghia - Oil Pressure Warning Light - Rich1971
I've recently had an engine change on my Ford Galaxy.It has suddenly started to get the Oil Pressure Warning message appear on the dash display.
My mechanic has changed the Oil Pump,Oil,Oil Switch and checked the Strainer and return hose.All seem fine.
He has now told me the oil is only spitting at the dipstick instead of running up it.
I have spent an absolute fortune on it so far.
Does this mean my engine is about to seize up,or could there be a blockage elsewhere?
Ford Galaxy 02 TDi Ghia - Oil Pressure Warning Light - Peter.N.

Don't quite understand what you mean by not running up the dipstick, as far as I understand you, that will be caused by a low oil level which of course will cause the light to come on.

The oil level is fine.The oil is getting blocked somewhere.
Ford Galaxy 02 TDi Ghia - Oil Pressure Warning Light - boggles

Is this the VW diesel engine? Also, is the oil lamp on all the time, or just at low rpm? This "spitting at the dipstick" I don't understand. I have seen the TDI blow the dipstick out, followed by some of the oil, but this only happens at high power if a piston ring sticks, leading to excess crankcase pressure. Is the engine a new one, or a secondhand, unknown unit? Any warranty? There could be a problem with relief valves in the filter head, or if equipped, the cooler between the filter and filter head. Oil filters can also be faulty. There is a common drive to the exhauster and oil pump, from the auxilliary shaft, this can be a problem, and cause total loss of oil pressure. Probably ok if you only get oil pressure warnings at low revs. Need a bit more detail from you, to help really.

Ford Galaxy 02 TDi Ghia - Oil Pressure Warning Light - bathtub tom

Have you considered temporarily fitting an oil pressure gauge to accurately measure the pressure?

Ford Galaxy 02 TDi Ghia - Oil Pressure Warning Light - jc2

If the age is correct,it's a VW motor.

It is a vw engine.the oil light comes on at high revs.It doesn't show on tick over.The dipstick doesn't show any rise in oil mark at high revs either.

Forget the dipstick, when the engine is running, the sump level effectively drops as the pump pulls oil out and sends it round the system. Returning oil, in some engines, hits the dipstick and looks like a higher level. If the oil lamp comes on at high revs, I still suspect the filter or relief valve in the filter head.

Thanks for the advice boggles.I'm going to take the car to another mechanic,I feel that the mechanic that has done the work thus far isn't competant enough to find a fault and rectify it.I spoke to a different mechanic and he said exactly what you said with the oil relief valve.I'm hopefully taking it in to him(on tow)next week.I'll keep you posted mate.
Thanks again.

Good luck Rich. Hope to hear good news soon! Changing the filter head is not a big job, hope it gives right result.

Had the car back from another mechanic.The oil relief valve was the problem.Now the turbo kicks in now and again.I've just got the oil pressure light and stop message on the dash lit.Hopefully I can take this to an auto electrician and get him to wipe the faults off.It's cost me that much with the other mechanic,I'm watching the pennies at the moment.Wish I'd have known about this other mechanic first,would have saved me £1000 pounds I reckon.Oh well,an expensive mistake that's cost me dear.

Partial success then Rich. I assume your oil lamp is out, but you have a warning message that needs resetting?