Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 53 reg - rattle at start / stop - looking4car
Hi,
My Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 130 53 reg seems to run fine, but when I start the engine there is a rattle that lasts a second or two.

Engine runs smoothly , but I get a slight rattle when I turn the engine off.

I know little about diesel engines, actuall less than little, but did read online that diesel engines can rattle when overfilled with oil.

My oil warning light was on intermittently after I left the car standing for a five week period over the cold christmas period.

After adding a bit extra oil and running for a couple of days the warning light stopped.

Also read rattles can relate to belts / chains.

I bought the car in Feb 2010, the mileage is 91000 and the car has a full service history including a full service in early december.

Any views on diagnosis / prognosis would be welcome.

Thanks
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 53 reg - rattle at start / stop - elekie&a/c doctor
A rattle on start up and turn off could be the start of the dual mass flywheel breaking up.Does the noise change if you put your foot on the clutch pedal?
Thanks for the feedback.

I've just been in the car. The following happens regardless of whether I have the clutch down or not.

On start up, there is a thudding noise and car seems to shake. This lasts less than a second , and then engine sounds ok.

When I rev the engine it sounds fine.

When the engine idles after revving there is a bit of a rattle for a short while (depressing clutch has no effect ) but it settles down.

When I turn engine off there is a thudding noise / slight shake, similar but less pronounced than that experienced when starting the engine.
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 53 reg - rattle at start / stop - Peter.N.

Sounds as though might have metal to metal contact as the engine tends to move more on start and stop, could be the exhaust coming into contact with something or a faulty engine/gearbox mounting.

Thanks.

Does the fact that pressing the clutch has no effect suggest it is not a DMF issue ?

I know nothing about DMFs other than that they can prove expensive.

If it was engine mounts , does that require immediate attention, and is it a big problem, with costly remedy ?

Could it result in catastrophic (i.e. to car) event , or is it just something that will get progressively worse ?

I guess the car is worth about 2k without the problem.

Might it be worth adopting a breakdown maintenance approah and scrap when it does go pop ?
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 53 reg - rattle at start / stop - ddr

I had a similar sort of 'difficult' start my TDCI - slow to start, rattles. I put it down to just normal for diesels, as once started the engine ran smoothly. However after cleaning out the EGR valve and giving the car a bit of an italian tuneup, the engine seems to start a lot easier. Turning the aircon off may also have helped.

I took the car to my mechanic and explained the symptoms.

He grimaced and said oh dear as I went through what I'd found.

'Sounds expensive' he muttered. '....... they've got this thing called a Dual Mass Flywheel ..... oh dear ...'

I started the engine, and it made the usual noise.

'Oh that sounds like a dodgy exhaust bracket'

stopped the engine

'So does that !!'

He climbed under and confirmed exhaust was a bit loose.

So, taking it back on Monday (earliest I could manage) when he'll sort the exhaust fittings, and hopefully that will be it.

Sorry if I've been a bit dim and wasted your time.
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 53 reg - rattle at start / stop - Peter.N.

There you are then - that will be 7/6d

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 53 reg - rattle at start / stop - mr thicky

I had the same problem noisy as hell on tick over and when starting and switching off.Bet your bottom dollar it needs a new crankshaft pulley and belt. Mine ticks over like a goodun now(which it isn't ) but it also feels so much smoother. the pulley is like a small dmfw.to absorb stop start shocks.pulley £85.00 belt £15.00 plus fitting.jj