Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - primeradriver

Does anyone know where I can get details of the minimum permissable load and speed ratings for a 1.6 petrol MK2 Ford Focus (2007)?

The tyres on the car currently are 91V. The tyre sheds come up with an answer of 91W, but I am interested to know if 91H is acceptable on a winter tyre?

Not from the perspective of "will it blow up" etc, because I know it won't, I'm just trying to find Ford's guidelines.

Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - Mike H

The driver's handbook is a good start :-)

The speed rating of H on a winter tyre is almost certainly fine on the Focus. I have a Saab 9-5 Aero estate (a lot heavier & more powerful than the Focus), the summer tyres are W/Y rated but the winter recommendation is H-rating - and do bear in mind that this means 130mph, which is probably fast enough for the winter. The load rating is 94 for both summer & winter.

Edited by Mike H on 08/03/2011 at 19:57

Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - Cymrogwyllt
The insurance company may well be more than a little antzy if anything less then the OEM is fitted
Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - Mike H
The insurance company may well be more than a little antzy if anything less then the OEM is fitted

True, and worth bearing in mind, but I cannot imagine that 91W is required on the Focus - I had a 2.0 Mondeo in 1996, and the speed rating on that was only H. W equates to 168mph, I don't think the Focus would get terribly close to that.

Edited by Mike H on 08/03/2011 at 20:18

I haven't got the handbook :( I'm going to have to see if I can find it -- all I have is the service book......

In fact, if someone could point me to a PDF of the book, that'd be great!

I also think W is excessive, and the P7s that the car came with were only Vs, but H is one below that. I don't think the 1.6 exceeds 120mph to be honest.

Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - Cymrogwyllt

it's normal for the tyre rating to exceed tha car's capability. The manufacturers are CTOA. If they did any less then they'd be legal fodder.

112mph apparently -- still comfortably below H which is 130.

I think I have found a manual -- currently downloading -- if that gives me an answer I will share that answer for completeness's sake.

Well, the manual was as much use as a chocolate fireguard :)

However, Pirelli and Dunlop both list the tyres for my car as being 205/55R16 91T (yes, T) and Bridgestone are suggesting H for a winter tyre (V for summer).

Is this "good enough", I wonder? I suppose the only way of knowing for sure is to call Ford.

Thanks for the help.

Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - turbo11

My wifes 2007 1.6 Mazda 3(same chassis,engine and gearbox as Focus) uses 91H rated summer tyres and H rated winter tyres.tyres.My Mazda6(heavier than your focus)which had the same tyre size as yours, used V summer tyres and H winters. My current Mazda5(much heavier, and higher loaded) uses 93V summer, and can use H,V or W rated winters. In your position I would be quite happy with H rated winters. I have H rated Pirelli Sottozeros winter tyres on spare rims, which are excellent.

Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - Roly93

The V rating is ample for the Focus, however it is important to never use a lower load rating that the factory fittment, as this may result in tyrewall failure in the long term with standard specified pressures.

Ford Focus - Tyre Load and Speed Ratings - RT

Don't all cars now have a sticker on the driver's door post giving the size/rating & pressures unladen/laden/towing ?

Edited by RT on 09/03/2011 at 13:39

Thanks for all the responses, especially turbo11. If a very similar car (which the Mazda3 is) can take the H tyres, and three major tyre manufacturers say it's OK, then I'm fairly happy with that.

I'll give the car another look over tomorrow, but I have to say that I've not found anything to suggest the answer to the question on any labels.

The irony is that the "sweet spot" for value-for-money winter tyres, which seems to be the Nankang SV-2 (which gets some very good reviews on-line, lasts well and seems to have more than adequate grip in all weathers) is available in V-rating anyway so this might be academic. It's just that a lot of products are only available in H, hence the question.