Wording an advert - help - cabsmanuk
I'm thinking of selling my car privately which has just had
a new engine fitted by VW and has 10 months warranty on it.
Should I mention this in the advert and risk potential buyers
thinking the first engine (and hence the car) had been thrashed
to death (it hadn't) or is it best to keep quiet in the advert
and only mention the fact when someone shows interest and I
am able to explain the circumstances?
Wording an advert - help - Jonathan {p}
Difficult choice.

If you hide the fact (they will assume that you are hiding it) by not telling people in the ad, then they will walk away. If you tell people then less will call, but anyone that does will more than likely be genuinely interested in the car.

How much are you looking for it?

It might be better to send it through auction or part-ex it.

Jonathan
Wording an advert - help - Dynamic Dave
Advertise the car as having a new engine fitted at "x" miles. That way the potential buyer will know how many miles the rest of the running gear has covered.
Include how many miles the new engine has done, and the remaining warranty period.
Wording an advert - help - blank
Cabsman:
Personally and possibly wrongly, I would not resond favourably to an ad mentioning a replacement engine, unless the car had very high mileage. I would presume it had been neglected or mistreated. I would therefore probably move on to the next ad.

I know your unfortunate circumstances leading to the engine failure, but a prospective buyer does not.

I'm not suggesting the best course of action, just hoping my personal viewpoint may help.

Andy
Wording an advert - help - Carmad 10000
Personally, I wouldnt mention it...

Wait till they ring and then make that the first thing you mention so that their aware. Make it a 'feature' as appose to a bad point. 'professionally fitted engine with 10 months guarantee, etc..' - just blag it as much as possible and also explain about the mileage it did have before this and show them some evidence that it was that mileage when it was done (if you get the viewing that is). When we sold our last car there was one identical which advertised a new engine and the car was £2000 less....ours sold and i believe his advert (in autotrader) is still on there. I rang the advert up and the car sounded better than our last one so it must be down to the engine...