ford ka 2004 - powers steering pump - mercury

had car for 6 years, to pass the mot in 2010 ka needed new racking and power steering pump, first ever fitted in my ownership, cost over £1000 to repair. i had slid into kerb in ice and that had caused the damage garage told me. 2011 mot passed all ok, within 2 weeks car steering felt wrong, monitored for a few days and took it back to the garage, they were busy and i had to tske it couple days later, told it needed a nother steering pump. garage thought it wrong within the year, held onto car to speak to ford uk. they were not taking any responsibility as the part was one day out of warranty when i felt a problem, and nine days by the time the garage had looked at it. ended up having to pay to get car back but now trying to get some answers from ford and their dealership. anyone had similar problems?

anyone out there no how long a power steering pump should last on a 2004 ford ka when only done 4500 miles in the year since last one fitted. not needed one for the 6 years before that. can you help

ford ka 2004 - powers steering pump - Peter.N.

I would think a pump that only lasted 4500 miles was 'not of merchantable quality'. or 'fit for purpose'. Do they know why the pump failed? Were there any external factors? If it really was only one day out of guarantee I think they are being unreasonable. I would try trading standards.

Edited by Peter.N. on 06/03/2011 at 13:39

I would think a pump that only lasted 4500 miles was 'not of merchantable quality'. or 'fit for purpose'. Do they know why the pump failed? Were there any external factors? If it really was only one day out of guarantee I think they are being unreasonable. I would try trading standards.

peter n - thanks for your reply, the ford dealership held onto the car to speak to ford uk, they were not interested, we are aimimng complaint at dealership now after advice from trading standards. wanting to gain some advice on waiting from dealerships excuses/explanations- seems strange it failed after getting through mot only 2 weeks earlier.

peter n - thanks for your reply, the ford dealership held onto the car to speak to ford uk, they were not interested, we are aimimng complaint at dealership now after advice from trading standards. wanting to gain some advice on waiting from dealerships excuses/explanations- seems strange it failed after getting through mot only 2 weeks earlier.

what do you mean by external factors please?mercury