Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - Bedhead

The main beam has stopped working on my 1998 A4, it works on flash, but not when you move the stalk forward for main beam, any ideas?

Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - danwhiting
I have the exact same thing happening on my 2001 audi A4. If anyone knows anything about this I would be really grateful as my MOT is due next week!!!
Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think this is a fault with the indicator/dip stalk unit.Internal problem with the headlamp switch changeover contacts.hth

Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - Peter D

Check fuses 18,19,20,12 but I suspect the your stalk switch has failed. There are no relays in this circuit. Regards Peter

Typo, Fuse 21 not 12. Regards Peter

Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - Bedhead

Cheers guys, looks like it's new switch time!

Silly money from Audi I expect!

New stalk or new light switch. Regards Peter

Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - danwhiting
I have been told it is a fault in the central control unit and not the switch or stalk,!?! Going Down to Audi tomorrow. It will be expensive, I have no doubts about that.
Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - TeeCee

Silly question time:

It doesn't have automatic on/off headlamps does it? The reason I ask is that I was driving a hired Merc the other day and it took me an age to work out that main beam was disabled in "auto" mode and only available when the lights were manually switched to "on".

Made all the more puzzling by the fact that this was in SE, so the light switch had no other effect at all!

Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - Falkirk Bairn

2 x bulbs blown within a day or 2?

Bulbs are cheaper than stalk switches - so worth a look!

Audi A4 B5 1998 - No main beam - 659FBE

Headlamps work on "flash" so not the bulbs.

Check main beam fuses first, then isolate column dipswitch and bridge common to high beam contacts. If the lights come on (remember they are only enabled with the ignition on) you need a new dipswitch.

Try GSF for a switch - I think they have them with the cruise switch fitted.

Dan, If the car was a late 2005> then I would suggest the 'Onboard supply control unit' J519 has failed. However prior to that there was no sych unit on the A4. Regards Peter