Nissan Almera Tino (petrol) 2003 auto - Reluctant to start - starter motor sounded odd - Lee1

Car not been used for 4 days. Jumped in, turned key, sounded normal for 2 secs and seemed to start then dash lights came on/stalled.

Turned key again, lively battery turned over starter motor again but this time the starter motor sounded what I can only describe as wheezy and not the same as usual, not engine cranking sound if you know what I mean. Car would not start, starter motor wheezy sound heard (never heard it before and been driving 20 years) and not the usual sound of car turning over to start.

Waited a minute, tried again, same sound, no start.

I then turned key again and pumped gas/accelerator pedal to see if that helped, kept pumping for quite a while, possibly 20 seconds, smell of petrol, car made a few engine kick noises and after another 5-10 secs pedal pumping it spluttered to life and started, much to my relief as I don't have Home Start.

Took car for 5 mile drive, all seemed normal, switched off, restarted as normal no problem. So, seems okay now.

Any obvious ideas what this was? Momentarily blocked fuel line? Contaminated fuel? Water in the petrol? Or??

Thanks.

Edited by Lee1 on 21/02/2011 at 14:40