Morris Mini 1963 - Ignition Light not working - vince208
I have changed my mini from a dynamo to an alternator, following the instructions carefully. I did this (partly) because when I connected the car up to a battery charger to test the lights etc (the car has been off the road for two years) smoke started coming from the dynamo and the ignition light glowed brightly, even though the ignition switch was 'off'. When the switch was turned 'on', the light went out!

After changing to an alternator (and -ve earth) I have wired the car up to the battery charger again but the ignition light is very dim or non-existant, even though the bulb works and there is a voltage of 9.5v across the two connections in the bulb holder.

What could be causing this?

The car is a floor start Mk1
Morris Mini 1963 - Ignition Light not working - elekie&a/c doctor

Perhaps the bulb is faulty?Remove the bulb and wire it across a battery to see if it lights to the correct brightness.You could swap it with oil warning light (if fitted)or main beam w/light.hth

Thanks,

The bulb lights when I put it across the battery charger, I'm sure it's not the bulb. Surely the bulb either works or doesn't? The glass is clear and not blackened.

Morris Mini 1963 - Ignition Light not working - Peter.N.

One end of the bulb is connected to the switched 12v supply, the other end to the small terminal on the alternator. What should happen is that the bulb lights until the alternator is going fast enough to charge, there is then 12v on the small terminal so you now have 12v on both ends of the bulb so it goes out. I would suspect that it is wired incorrectly or there is a short to something else. Unless the bulb is connected correctly to the alternator it will not charge, as the lamp provides the exiter voltage. Check the voltage on each end of the lamp and then on the alternator small terminal.

Morris Mini 1963 - Ignition Light not working - Collos25

I always thought in the mini conversions a diode was used which allowed enough current to pass to light the bulb but when it reached around 10 volts from the alternator it stopped the current flowing putting the light out.

Morris Mini 1963 - Ignition Light not working - elekie&a/c doctor

It is possible that there is a fault in the wiring from the w/light circuit.Check at bulb with ignition on ,there should be battery volts on white wire.The earth path to the alternator small terminal via the brown/yellow wire needs to be checked,or alternatively run a new wire from the bulbholder (brown /yellow)direct to the small terminal at alternator.Discard existing wiring.This is a basic circuit and there is no need for any diode or additional components.hth

Thanks for your help. I traced the problem to a poor earth through the alternator small terminal. When I connect the wire to a proper earth (on the car body) the ignition light glows brightly.

Does this mean the alternator is likely to be faulty (I took it off a car in a scrapyard some 12 years ago, and have just fitted it for the first time (following my dynamo conversion).

I will be starting the car for the first time in a year shortly so all should become apparent then, and I will then check the output voltage from the alternator and replace it if necessary.

Thanks again