Ford Fiesta 2002 - 1.4tdci zetec (non-aircon) - Strange Rattle Noise, Fuel, Water Pump Bearings? - valleyboy44

Hi All,

The wifes 52 reg 1.4TDCI (87,000 miles) i making a strange noise.

It is coming from the aux belt area, am i right in saying this runs the power steeering, fuel and water pump and the alternator?

It started last night (a small whoosh, whoosh noise) turned off the engine started again and it was gone and started again on the way to work - when i got to work i actually dropped the car off at the local garage, they left it running for an hour and checked it now and again, all they could find was a loose bolt for the airbox!!?? and said they cant see/hear anything dodgy. (have used them for all previous work on the car and they have been great)

so sod's law drove her home and it started again, it is intermittent, it is more of low rattle/clicking noise.

To help...

1 - There are no warning lights coming on the dash
2 - It is not overheating, temp is on normal, the noise is there driving or idling.
3 - changes gears fine
4 - steering is fine
5 - starts fine
6 - all electrics work.
7 - it had all injectors replaced about 2 years ago
8 - The timing belt and steering rack have been changed in the last 12 months.

any ideas? a bloke in work thinks its the water pump bearings on the way out?

could the aux belt itself be slipping?? but it seems more a fault wih a pump/alternator?

im just scared that if the wife carries on driving it something will eventually give up and seize, not fun when she has the baby in the car.

cheers for any pointers help... <*** class="bbc_emoticon" src="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif" alt=":)" />

Edited by valleyboy44 on 19/02/2011 at 17:06

Ford Fiesta 2002 - 1.4tdci zetec (non-aircon) - Strange Rattle Noise, Fuel, Water Pump Bearings? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Ramsbottom, Christmas 2011...

You've most probably found this fault by now. It was the crankshaft pulley that turns the auxiliary belt, wasn't it? It's just happened on mine! I thought, in my ignorance, that this was just a pulley! But no. It's called a Crankshaft Harmonic Vibration Damper Pulley to be pedantic, and it breaks! Turns out to be a rubber sandwich and the rubber can part company with the metal causing first a squealing, knocking, clanging and rattling, and then it gets worse and finally the inner part of the pulley keeps turning with the crankshaft, but the outer part fails to turn the auxiliary belt and so you loose the power steering and the alternator! I see I can get a new Bilstein one for fifty quid on e-Bay. Why wasn't I recommended to get this changed when I had the cambelt changed at 100K miles? I'm not having a go at this in my muddy back yard in the middle of Winter. Another job for Oily Mick down Kay Brow methinks.

Happy New Year to all...

Ford Fiesta 2002 - 1.4tdci zetec (non-aircon) - Strange Rattle Noise, Fuel, Water Pump Bearings? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Noo!!! You can't get a Bilstein Crankshaft Damper for fifty quid on e-Bay!! The picture against the advert was a Bilstein, but the one they sent me was an un-named one in a plain cardboard box. Most probably made in China. I'm not happy. I'll put an appropriate comment on the e-Bay feedback... The car has done 150K miles now, by the way, so changing the pulley at 100K miles together with the cam-belt would have been the wisest course of action. I suppose the alternator will need changing next. With my luck it'll last another year and fail next Christmas so's the car will be off the road 'till New Year again!