golf mk6 - i was victim of buying cloned car advice needed - armani

i am just going to cut my story short.

i have been a victim of buying cloned car, this is car is been found in autotrader , i did HPI check it come back all clear, i went 2 check the car the vin much the number plate and i checked the vin numbers they all the same.

i tried to contact the seller the next day i couldnt get hold of him , i applied for my V5 after waiting for such a long time i didnt get it , DVLA said your car need to be examined by police officer, i took it to police station on that time i knew that i bought cloned car and everything has been changed on it.

i had interview with police yesterday, i showed them all the document i had and all the procedure i followed since i bought the car they knew i was a victim , they told me about story of this car bisically this car is been hired by a women and this women now she is arrested , but the person who sold me this car is a men which i believe he is involved , this women she raised her hand and she said she will take all the blame and she didnt want to mention where is the car gone or who she gave it to.

so now where can i claim my money back from HPI , or can i sue this women coz she is the one hiding everything !!!

thank you for any replay in advance .

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - TedCrilly

If the car it was cloned to wasnt dodgy why should the HPI check flag up an issue? HPI didnt know that there was two cars running around on the same numbers, how could they ? For all you know there could be even more of them on the same numbers out there.

Get a good solicitor on board or......bend over and assume the position.

golf mk6 - i was victim of buying cloned car advice needed - Collos25

If you paid cash and the seller cannot be found I would think you have very little chance of seeing your money again,if you paid through HP or credit card then there may be some recourse.What have HPI done wrong if they did not know there was cloned copy around there must be hundreds if not thousands of cloned cars in the UK.I think any HPI search will only bring whether the car is on HP other than that they are pretty useless you arn't the first and you won't be last to fall for this con.You need legal advice and no doubt Lucy will come along with a definitive answer.

unfortunately i paid cash , i know HPI check wouldnt flag up if the car is been cloned .

the police officers i had interview with ,they said if you don give up you might be able to get your money back from HPI, but i have to go to citizen advise bureau first and ask for legal advise because i put the number plate and the vin number which it was visable , note this crimnals they change everything u can hardly notice anything doggy and the v5 the seller showed me was with water mark .

by the way i went to citizen advise bureau they ask me to get soliciter, i send and email to honest john and that is the replay i got from him :

Get in touch with HPI. If you paid HPI for a full test then that is supposed to be guaranteed. If you paid a third party for an HPI test then it isn't.

i paid 20.00 pound for my HPI check not sure is that is full or not i ll ring them 2moro 2find out

golf mk6 - i was victim of buying cloned car advice needed - LucyBC

HPI pretty much check everything but they have to be certain that the vehicle you are checking is the one they have recorded. If the plates have been changed then you are running the check on the wrong car.

There is an HPI guarantee which operates free of charge:

www.hpicheck.com/furniture/guarantee.html

However you must undertake all the checks they require and most people do not. The primary one is failing to identify the seller (in a private sale) and failing to see them at the address on the V5.

In most cases when a cloned car is discovered they end up "buying it again" - this time off the motor insurer.

Frankly I wouldn't be too hopeful about you seeing any of your money back.

So what about this women arrested that she raised her hand and she said she will take the blame can I sue her for that coz she didn't want to mention to who she gave the car 2
Did she sell you the car? If the answer is no then she is not responsible for your loss.
Thx lucy for your replay
Well no she didnt , I have been 2 solicitor 2day , she said there is like 2 options hopefully this women she used her bank card 2 pay for the advert on autotrader , I spoke to the police that I have been dealing with 2 day they said is gonna be a small chance that she paid with her bank card coz the women she is been using deferent identity all the time , but they took autotrader details and they said they will find out for me. Well I might be lucky if she did so then i can sue for that coz she will would be the 1 she adverted the car for sale , and she used this men regardless who is I think her boyfriend just to sell it , and he would have apart for the money .
The other option is HPI, i paid for full test but I rang them 2 day 2 confirm that they said u paid for full test but You didnt give the V5 serial number which make it invalid according to them .
You have no hope with HPI in that case. I wouldn't invest too much effort with Auto Trader or thinking about suing the woman either.

Your best line is probably trying to contact the insurer. If they have already paid out on it you might be able to buy it in relatively cheaply.

the car below to lease company, and they hire it to hire company , but the police said the insurance they havent paid out for it yet even that the car is been reported stolen like since 5 months ago , but i believe the lease company they wont be able to rent it out coz it wil be like stolen recovered car.

but the problem is the police they wont be able to give us information who is this lease company because is confidante, they said they will pass our details out to this lease company if they want to sold us the car ( but u never know if they gonna bother doing that )

is that anyother way how to find out who is this lease company so i can write them a letter myself like from DVLA or something .....

hi lucy

how would i find out the insurer company , because the police they wouldnt give that out

thank you

You need to do an MID enquiry on the original plate:

www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx
golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - BobL

When you bought the car did it come with a V5 from the seller. Was the seller the name listed on the V5 (Identifyable by passport or photo driving license). Did the address on the v5 match up with where the car was being sold from? And finally did the V5 have a watermark in the correct place. If any of these checks were not 100%, most people would walk when paying thousands of pounds no matter how convincing the seller

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - armani

well trust me u dont know wot i am talking about mate this people is like a gang , the V5 had water mark this person i bought the car from showed me ID (driver licence) and tenancy agreement but well that V5 was one of the ones stolen from DVLA while ago, i tried 2 get a hold of him the next day coz the engine light came on ,his phone was off i send him txt next day to check if he send V5 i didnt get replay ,i went to his place and i knocked on the door the door open itself i went in the tv has been left on and mess was everywhere then i was sure there is something doggy with this car, i went to DVLA the next day with a bit normally buyer keep from V5 and they said we cant see any problem just fill this form and u get your V5 soon

Edited by armani on 17/02/2011 at 20:49

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - armani

so any suggestions guys anyone came cross something like that !! i hope you didnt and i wish you will never do because them people they don care how 2 take other ppl money i lost about 10 thousand i worked for that day an nights

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - nk55

Armani, i think i'm in the same situation as well.

Do you think it is possible to find who are inusred for the same number plate?

Is it worth talking to DVLA?

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - tony g
Hi nk,
The thread your reading is three years old !

However the information in the the replies are as relevant .
golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - mike bmw

HI Tony I know this post is old but I hope you don't mind me asking few things...

I' am going through that crap with cloned car and it is just a big disappointment, police wasn;t helpful at all so I'am trying to get some help myself.

Could you please tell me how your case was finished? Did you get anything back of hpi or other people? I did ask in citizen advice bureau but to go any further I will need to pay 500 pounds just to send letter to autotrader who was my hpi check provider....

PLEASE HELP !
thanks Michal

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - skidpan

For one last time just in case people have not read any of the above

HPI DOES NOT TELL YOU IF ITS A CLONED CAR YOU HAVE PROVIDED DETAILS OF.

HPI will tell you if there is finance oustanding on the car whose details you provide.

HPI will tell you if the car whose details you have given them has been a write off etc.

But if the details you give them i.e. the reg and VIN are off a perfectly ligitimate car the results HPI will give you will be for that car and not the fake car you are looking at.

HPI do not have a crystal ball. If the car you give them the details off is clean you will get a clean result.

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - mike bmw

Thanks mate, so I understand I just should forget my money and a car? cos its seems like is no chance to get anything back ...

Have you managed to do anything with it?

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - Avant

Tony G hasn't posted on here for a couple of months - a pity as he's a car dealer who was willing to share some inside knowledge.

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - vacky

HI Tony I know this post is old but I hope you don't mind me asking few things...

I' am going through that crap with cloned car and it is just a big disappointment, police wasn;t helpful at all so I'am trying to get some help myself.

Could you please tell me how your case was finished? Did you get anything back of hpi or other people? I did ask in citizen advice bureau but to go any further I will need to pay 500 pounds just to send letter to autotrader who was my hpi check provider....

PLEASE HELP !
thanks Michal

going through the same s*** :(.....bought a cloned car n lost 13k.......paid cash , did HPI, person got caught but no chance of getting my money back :(....what about you guys?... or any advice?? thx

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - RobJP

Yes. Learn for the future.

Never pay cash - it can't be traced. Always make a DIRECT payment into another UK bank account.

Virtually every person who gets caught by one of these scams is drawn in by greed. A really cheap car that the owner is "desperate to get rid of". Always be suspicious. There's an old saying "too good to be true". Well, if it looks too good, it's a lie.

golf MK6 - i was victim of buying cloned car - slkfanboy

Better advise dont buy from a private buyer. For the sake of spending around £500 go to a dealer. The car should be as recorded, safe,serviced,MOTed and a good chance of getting major faults fixed by them. These kind of issues and Sales of Goods act. Makes it the best £500-1000 (indie-dealer) extra you every pay.

Regards V5 and HPI. The hole point of cloning a car is that a car takes the identity of an already registered car!

Therefore nothing new is registered and not a 'hope in hell' of the HPI system detecting a clone. It's only when you try and register will an issue be flagged and thas is too late!