Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.8Lt DEAD - GMB

Hi,

Sorry, new here and not very well up on car maintenance issues.

Got myself a nice 2001 Peugeot, 36K on the clock back in April (very good for a 10yr old car). Ran beautifully, passed MOT first time in Sept. Then over the cold spell in December for the first time it wouldn't start.

It tried to start, wasn't totally dead. We jump started it and I took it for 45 min run along the dual carriageway to charge it. Next day... dead again.

I was then forced to leave it and rely on public transport as my other half took our other car away for a good few weeks. When he came back, we did the same thing again. Same thing happened, only the next day I couldn't even GET INTO IT as the central locking had utterly died.

We jimmied open the door (after much swearing and odd looks from the neighbours) and this time I took the car on an hour's trip and pushed it up to 80mph. Next day it started fine and we thought "hooray, end of the issues! It's finally charged enough" day after, dead again.

Before I rush out and buy a £60 battery, is it definitely the battery do you think? Could it be the alternator? Both? Neither? Is there any way of making sure one way or the other?

While I'm at it, last time I was driving, the stereo (manufacturer's standard) asked me for a code (??) checked the manual and it says it's a security feature and the confidential code should have been supplied at the point of sale (well it wasn't). Any ideas?

Thanks - sorry if this annoying, like I said I'm a newbie and not very clued up with cars!

Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.8Lt DEAD - Peter.N.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, if the alternator is OK it should read 14 volts or just over. If the battery is being discharged by something overnight you can check by disconnecting it when you come home and see it it starts the next morning, if not, its the battery. Check the voltage before you reconnect in the morning, it should be at least 12 volts, if not - battery