Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent???? - Chirpy99

Hi, my driving license is due for renewal in April , do they send you a reminder or do you have to do everything by yourself???

The DVLA website seems a bit vague.

Thanks

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent???? - bigkaz

Yes they do although i havent had a look at mine properly i have had an application form from DVLA although its only 2 weeks from expiry of my license. so now i need to find out if i can drive whilst the new license comes if it goes over the 2 weeks!!!!

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent???? - Talking Hoarse

I got a reminder to say that the photo needed renewal on my licence (I had one of the early ones). Filled the form out, did it all at the Post Office (they take a photo & charge an extra £4.50) and new licence was back about 1 week later.

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent???? - Armstrong Sid

I got a reminder to say that the photo needed renewal on my licence (I had one of the early ones). Filled the form out, did it all at the Post Office (they take a photo & charge an extra £4.50) and new licence was back about 1 week later.

I just had exactly the same situation. A bit surprised at the extra £4.50 but it saved any messing around. At least they are efficient.

Not all Post Offices do it though; only certain main ones which have all the camera gear set up, so don't go in your local village branch and expect them to take your photo.

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent???? - LucyBC

They send a reminder to the last address -- although there is no legal obligation to do so and if they don't and you don't renew then it is your fault not theirs.

Caldwell v Hague 1914 applies and the DVLA are pleased to record that it has never been ‘successfully’ challenged.

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent???? - Smileyman

Both my wife and myself have received notification letters in the past few weeks - we moved 10 years ago and had to get photo card licences when recording the change of address. So, as photos are valid for only 10 years it has become time to update DVLC with new images. There is a charge of £20 payable for this service. The letters arrived approx 2 months in advance of the renewal date.

I immediately went to the local Post Office (the letter advised which office - it listed two local main offices) and for £4.50 extra they took my photo and electronically sent it to Swansea with signature etc. Very easy procedure and much more secure than by post - probably cheaper too.

New licence arrived later same week - I was very impressed with the speed - BUT .... if you update your passport, the new passport usually expires 10 years after the old one, (same date too, even if renewed a little early) but my new licence has been dated the date of the renewal - thus I've lost 7 weeks of licence life.

I'm annoyed about that, different Gov agencies have worked differently and I 'feel' cheated.

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent?????????????????????????????? - TIP

I am 82 now and have allways had a reminder to renew my driving licence

This year I did not and did not find out out that it had expired untill I tried[

to pay my first ever fine. It cost me £20 to order a new licence.

Renewal of Driving License Reminder sent?????????????????????????????? - dadbif
If you have one of the new biometric (think that's right) passports, then the DVLA can use the picture from that, it's is retained somewhere in the bowels of a government dept.
Not that it's automatic features have ever been used during my many trips in and out of UK, it is always checked by a guardian of law and order who insists it has to be removed from its cover.