peugoet206 2.0 ltr hdi - overheating - stevenh82

hi,i gave my sister my 206 hdi for a few weeks.when i got it back and started it up the temp gauge was reading max after a few minutes at idle revs.she had burst the radiator and driving it with no water.got a new radiator and replaced the thermostat,now when i start it up its fine when idiling but after 5 minutes of driving it the coolant temp goes off the scale and the expansion tank is full of steam.does anyone know if its repairable or not?

peugoet206 2.0 ltr hdi - overheating - Peter D

The rad may have burst due to being over pressurised by a blown head gasket. Either get a garage to test the header tank for combustion gases. I assume the water pump is operating. Regards Peter

hi ,it was a stone that burst the radiator it went through the grill and was still lodged in the radiator when i replaced it.thanks for your comment peter

peugoet206 2.0 ltr hdi - overheating - Peter D

Running with no water can distort the head and that may be why your HG is now leaking. Regards Peter

peugoet206 2.0 ltr hdi - overheating - Peter.N.

Head gasket failure in itself does not cause overheating, what happens is that the pressure build up in the cooling system blows the water out of the overflow/pressure cap - then it boils, so if you are not loosing a substantial quantity of water before it boils it must be something else, but as Peter D says if its been boiled its highly likely that the head gasket has failed.

peugoet206 2.0 ltr hdi - overheating - unthrottled

Very true-In fact h/g failure is almost always a result of overheating. If the breach is big enough to pressurise the coolant system-it really needs fixing asap. Aluminium heads are not particularly resiliant.

if the head gasket has failed will the cylinder head need skimmed?