Peugeot 207 - MOT test advisory notice issued - Prettygreeneyes_2

Hello

The car a silver peugeot 207 has just come back from its MOT which it passed first time however it has been given an advisory notice which says 'Play nearside & offside steering rack arm' what does that mean do I need to be worried? Its a 2004 car but has only done 38000 miles and is in great condition. I'd be greatful if anyone could help

Thanks

Peugeot 207 - MOT test advisory notice issued - injection doc
the advisory notice is to advise you that the garage consider there is some play in the steering mechasim however slight. This will actually prove to a VOSa examiner that the garage have tested the component and its not worn sufficently to fail but that the garage were aware there is some play. Its a sort of insurance for a garage to prove they are doing there job but it doesn't justify a failure. It is always advisable to seek a second opinion.
Peugeot 207 - MOT test advisory notice issued - Railroad.

VT32s are issued in every testing station every day of the week. They are advisory notices listing items which require attention but are not a failure. The minimum standards for MOT are very low. So low in fact it's sometimes very difficult to apply them when testing vehicles because a ball joint for example might have play, but to fail it has to be serious. It's often a very fine line. If I were you I'd be pleased that your tester had brought to your attention something that could develop into something more serious. I carry out MOTs everyday, and there's only one way to do them. The right way. By the sounds of things your tester did yours the right way too....

I'm glad he's been thorough I just didn't understand what it meant I do not know know what play was or what a steering rack is. I didn't like to ask at the garage I thought they'd laugh.

Peugeot 207 - MOT test advisory notice issued - Railroad.

In the simplest of terms the steering rack is the component that connects the steering column (onto which the steering wheel is fitted) to the steered wheels. 'Play' is a term used to describe free movement, or in this case the amount of movement in the steering wheel which has no effect on the steered wheels. There is a measurement for play in the steering system in the MOT manual which if exceeded would consitute a failure. Yours is obviously not that bad, but some play is present. Some steering racks can be adjusted so that play is minimised. I don't know if yours can be though. Maybe someone else on this board might know.

That helps I do not know much about cars, the steering isn't going to suddenly stop working is it?

Peugeot 207 - MOT test advisory notice issued - jc2

NO;it may even pass again next year.