can you be prosecuted for fail to stop even though - chish

can you be prosecuted for fail to stop even though you report the collision with 24hr

Hi i bumped a car in a multi storey car park.i got out to check but could see no damage.i waited for 10 mins to see if anyone come so i could let them know but had to leave as had a hospital appointment.when i got home i phoned the police non emergency line and was told to report the incedent at the local police station as it was shut.ive been to the police station to say whats happened and filled in a form.she said nothing would happen unless someone reports it to the police.i asked would i still get done for noy stopping.she said no and that as i had reported it within 24 hours i there would be no further action is that correct

thanks
in advance

can you be prosecuted for fail to stop even though - LucyBC
Very unlikely to go any further in terms of a case against you. However it would have made sense to have taken a photo showing the (lack of) damage.

i know i thought about that later on but there is camaras as you go out the car park so hopefully if need be they will show any damage if so to the car

thanks

can you be prosecuted for fail to stop even though - FP

I very much doubt if the cameras you mean would show that much detail.

i know hey wont show slight detail but if they claim i had smashed the bumber or lights it would show i hadnt if they drove past the camara

can you be prosecuted for fail to stop even though - Dwight Van Driver

You did STOP (first requirement) but no one present to give your details to (second requirement) so you reported as soon as practicable and within 24 hrs to Police (third requirement)

You complied with the law.

dvd

do i need to let my insurance know even if im not sure anyone will claim and i havent accepted any blame

thanks

chis

Technically yes but practically no. You have to put them on notice of a claim if one is made and should inform them of any accident but if a claim does not materialise...

Edited by LucyBC on 02/02/2011 at 17:21

hi Lucy you thanks for your advice just a couple of things im concerned about if you could help would be great.one thing is i didnt get a reference number at the time of filling in report was told i would get this in post after the form had been proccessed.does this sound correct or should i have been giving a reference number at the time.also as i didnt have no pen on me i couldnt remember the reg number of the car i may have bumped only the make and colour does this effect me in any way.thanks again
chish

I don't think anything will happen but if it does come back to me.