Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - Wally Zebon
After my car has been sitting overnight or at work all day, something weird happens to the brakes. It's an auto, so whenever I start it up I have to hit the brakes to switch the brake light off. The next time I hit the brakes everything is OK, but on the third occasion, my foot hits the floor and it takes twice as long to stop. After this it is fine. The first few times this happened was at a junction onto a busy road which scared me ever so slightly. Now that I know it happens, I hit the brakes repeatedly until I am happy that I will be able to stop safely.
Can anyone explain what is happening and if there is a way to fix the problem? The car is a 1993 L reg Mk3 Cavalier V6.

Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - Dynamic Dave
Wally,

1st thing I would do is check the brake reservior is full and also get the brakes bled.

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? Vauxhall recommend every 2yrs.

Bit confused over why you have to hit the brakes when you first start up to switch off the brake light. Do you mean the warning lamp on the dash, or the rear lights?
Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - Wally Zebon
Dave

Rear brake lights are on whether I'm touching the pedal or not as soon as I start up. I had to do this on an old BMW that I had, so I just thought it was normal for automatics to start up with their brake lights on. I'm not sure why seeing as it has to be in Park before it'll start so it's not going to run away anywhere.

Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - Dynamic Dave
Rear brake lights are on whether I'm touching the pedal or
not as soon as I start up.

Never come across that before. My previous car, Cavalier 2.0 Auto and current one, Vectra 2.2 Auto don't do that, neither does my Dad's Auto Astra 1.6. Hmmmm.
it has to be in Park before it'll start....

You should be able to start up when in either Park or Neutral.
Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - Reggie
It may be the brake master cylinder that "is going". This may explain why by pumping the brakes you "regain a pedal" i.e. a pedal that will slow the car down, and as the brake light switch is on the brake pedal, if the pedal "drops" due to ? a faulty master cylinder, by "pumping" the circuit, the pedal will reset itself in the correct position, and therefore the switch and the lights will work correctly. My advice is to get it looked at as soon as possible by somebody competent as you may be risking total brake failure.

Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - RogerL
Check Control requires the brake to be operated, ie touch the pedal, so that brake bulb failure can be tested.

There should be no noticable difference in pedal feel or braking ability. Your brakes need attention.
Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - Dave_TD
I had the exact same thing on a MkII Cav about 10 years ago, wehere the brakes would work 2 attempts out of 3! I've been racking my brains to remember how my dad & I fixed it, and i've finally remembered. It was the seals inside the master cylinder, one of them had an almost invisible split and depending on exactly what kind of mood it was in it would either lose all brake pressure or it would work perfectly. IIRC it's possible to purchase a "master cylinder overhaul kit" consisting of all the seals you need from a Vauxhall dealer.
It's a very disconcerting feeling, knowing that the next time you press the brake pedal they will probably work, but they might not! Hope that helps.
Brakes on a Mk3 Cavalier - steve paterson
Some Vauxhalls of that era suffered from master cylinder failure after changing pads or brake bleeding. According to the local dealer, a seal in the cylinder flipped over in it's groove. I've stripped a few faulty cylinders but never seen a flipped seal. A new cylinder always sorted it out though.