Ford S-Max - Windscreen repair problem - sarahjohn

Had a scratch removed from the windscreen but fround that when it rains I can see the repaired area as it seems to be clearer than the rest of the screen, as if the rest of the screen as a fine smear/covering on it. Also the rain seems to stay on the repaired area but dipersies from the original unrepaired areas.

The car is only 12 weeks old, any suggestions to whats caused this and how I can correct it.

Edited by sarahjohn on 25/01/2011 at 20:49

Ford S-Max - Windscreen repair problem - rrvfireblade

im not an expert on windscreens sarah and i wouldve thought it would be virtually impossible to remove a scratch from a windscreen,,im assuming by what you have said though that you have had a chip in your windscreen and someone has repaired it??if this is the case then they inject like a silicone filler into the chip to stop it from spreading and you ending up with a huge crack in your windscreen,,, most insurance companies cover this work for free and it dont affect your claims as they do not want you claiming for a full windscreen,,,makes sense....anyway...if this is the case then maybe the guy has left some crud on your windscreen somewhere and when you have used your wipers in the rain its spread all over and made it smear,,other than obviously washing the window with lots of hot soapy water which dont always work you can try buying some windscreen cleaner from halfords or wherever as this gets rid of any oily deposits on the screen,,,,dont forget to give your wipers a good clean as well which can be the difficult part as whatever is on your screen is obviously on your wiper blades,,,you will be surprised at how many people simply clean their screen with this stuff and forget about the blades and then wonder why it has not worked lol,,,,good luck

oh and the repaired area is more than likely cleaner as has probably finished his job by cleaning it with the very same stuff ive just mentioned,,,if not something similar,,but he obviously hasnt cleaned the whole screen

Ford S-Max - Windscreen repair problem - sarahjohn

Thanks for the advice. Itwas a long but not deep scratch that was polished out using a compound similar to Jewellers Rouge (i think). There scratch is no longer there but as I said the repaired area behaves differently. In misty rain the rain stays on the polished area more, and in heavey rain the polished are is clearer leaving the rest of the screen appearing smeared/misty.

now i see what your saying sarah,well all i can think of with regards to the repaired area is because they have rubbed it out with an abrasive compound( i have heard of people using toothpaste for scratches on glass believe it or not) again slightly abrasive but takes a hell of a lot of rubbing apparently,never tried it myself ,some traces of the compound might still be on the screen give the guy a ring who did it and ask him if this is normal and in the meantime try cleaning it like i suggested.