Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - mark.d89

Hi,

I have a corsa b 1.5TD suddenly the heater stopped blowing out hot air, i have replaced the thermostat a new heater matrix and flushed out the old cooland and replaced with new anti-freeze.

I now have heat, but only when i accelerate 2krpm and above when i leave the car to idle for 20mins the temperature doesnt rise but as soon as a accelerate it does and i have heat.

I have bled the system and cant think what else this could be ?

Any help appreciated

Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - Peter.N.

Is the engine running at normal temperature and coolant circulating through the radiator OK? If its tending to run hot it could be water pump failure. The only other thing I can think of is that there is air trapped in the heater, if so you should be able to bleed it by removing the top heater hose with the engine running, keep topping up the header tank until you have coolant free from bubbles flowing from both ends.

Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - mark.d89

Hi,

The waterpump and cambelt have been done 5k ago, i did them myself.

The car didnt have heat before this either.

The engine temperature never goes above 90c, even when left for 1 hour on idle it doesnt move, the only way i get heat is if i accelerate over 3k revs which for town driving is not practical.

I will try and bleed the system again but ive done this 100's of times.

Thanks

Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - Cymrogwyllt
methinks it's due to the efficiency of the diesel engine and possibly the weather. I've run diesels for many years and have yet to find one that will warm the engine up (as per the gauge) at idle in all but the warmest weather.

Any attempted use of the heater will not only result in coldish air but result in the engine running even colder.

I've experienced running the diesel at low power for 10+ miles without having the temp gauge getting anywhere near 'normal'
Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - Peter.N.

That certainly is the case, the newer common rail engines are even more thermally efficient resulting in even less heat. I have recently bought a Peugeot 406 Hdi which averages around 50 mpg but you have to drive three or four miles before the temperature gets to anything like normal.

Fortunatly this car is fitted with a diesel powered auxilliary heater, the output of which goes straight to the heater and then on into the engine. I didn't know the car had it until I found that I was getting heat after about 200 yards with the temp gauge needle stuck firmly on cold. As I am a very cold mortal I reckon this to be the best feature of the car, especially with the weather we have had lately. I don't know if they all have them but it shows the manufacturers aknowledge the lack of suffuicient heat output.

Edited by Peter.N. on 28/01/2011 at 20:24

Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - unthrottled
Ye, but this is an idi with tiny cylinders. Those engines reject a lot of heat to the cylinder head-it should warm up as quick as a gasser. If the OP is confident about the water pump and there is no heat from the heater then there must be a blockage in the cooling system somewhere. Try a reverse flush with a hosepipe to dislodge the offending dam.
Corsa B 1996 1.5TD - Corsa B 1.5TD Heater Problems - Peter D

I assume the fan blower is operating. There may be a heater flap that is stuck. Regards Peter