Focus Heater 'clicking' on start - martine
I have a Focus 1.8 1998 and it has developed a strange 'clicking' sound when the ignition if first switched on. It only lasts a few seconds and eminates from the heater.

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Martin - Bristol,UK
Focus Heater 'clicking' on start - Dave N
On turning the ignition, the motor that moves the recirc flap does a quick 'cycle' of the flap. But the load sensing on the motor that should stop it when the flap is closed packs up, and the clicking you hear is the motor still going when it should be stopping, and the plastic gears clicking over each other.

It looks like it needs a new motor, and I've never fitted on but looks messy. Solution is speak to ford about it in case it can be fixed easily, if not you can pull the plug to it and the the recirc flap will stay in 'fresh air' position. Of the 2 that I've seen, the owners didn't know what 'recirc' was or did anyway.
Focus Heater 'clicking' on start - blank
This sounds similar to an occasional noise on my Mundano. Have you seen them afflicted too?

Ta
Andy
Not seen it on Mondeos, and I think they have vacuum operation of some controls, not sure about the recirc function. When you next stop the car, turn it off, then hit the button. If you hear a flap move then it vac operated (try moving the hot/cold knob as well). Can't do it too many times though before your vacuum's all gone!
Focus Heater 'clicking' on start - blank
I'll try, thanks. Not heard the noise for a while, and it actually sounded like the heater fan. Somehow sounded like a loose piece of plastic, or maybe even leaves in it. It it doesn't get any worse it will stay as it is. Life's too short!

Thanks for the info
Andy
Thanks Dave...that makes sense. How do I disconnect the recirc motor?

Martin - Bristol,UK
If you drop the glovebox off, a couple of screws, it's there on the trunking sort of in front of you. Turn the ignition on and the clicking will guide you to it!
Thanks Dave - I'll have a poke.

Martin - Bristol,UK