Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - Beaks

My mother in law drives an '09 plate Hyundai i20 (which she loves). However recently with the cold weather she has had ice forming on the INSIDE of the windscreen. Now, I have not quizzed her about the air-con being on/ off etc, but clearly she shouldn't have to defrost the inside of the windscreen as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thank..

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - jc2

Sounds like a combination of cold weather and short journeys;car never gets to dry out.A/C won't be operating at low temps. anyway.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - TeeCee

Try cleaning the inside of the screen thoroughly with ordinary household window cleaner. Best time to do this is when the thing's nice and warm after the car's been used a bit. I find that a clean screen is far less likely to form condensation and thus ice on the inside.

I have always found that a condensation / icing problem usually disappears after a good clean until the dirt film builds up again. Also running the airco with the heater once the vehicle is warmed up will dry the air in the car, making condensation less likely when it cools overnight. Most climate control systems do this anyway to maintain humidity levels, so if it has such you shouldn't need to do anything here.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - Collos25

If the heater is set to recirculating for a faster warm up over short journeys then the windscreen will get condensation as soon the car is parked up for the night.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - Harryboy16

I also have an i20 with a similar problem. Its on a 59 plate and I have regularly had to scrape ice from the inside of the windscreen. When its not quite as cold I have to clear condensation from both the front and rear windscreen that the blowers just can't clear. My car has been back to the garage it came from quite a few times and from what they've told me Hyundai UK know there's an issue but are unable or unwilling to fix it so are ignoring it.

Mine's that bad that I'm considering taking legal action as as far as I'm concerned (and the dealership agree's) the car is just not fit for purpose. I've also had i20 courtesy cars from the garage with exactly the same problem. Be interesting to know how many people are also having this problem.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - dieselnut

This is usually a sign of water getting into the car.

Check the carpets carefully for damp. If you have rubber mats down check the backs for condensation.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - Andrew-T

This is usually a sign of water getting into the car. Check the carpets carefully for damp. If you have rubber mats down check the backs for condensation.

+1. My Peugeot has been taking in water via a poorly-seated grommet for many months, now sorted (I believe). In the present cold spell with overnight frosts, ice still forms inside the screen, which because of its slope is the coldest surface in the car for moisture to condense on. Until the carpets (and other damp pockets) dry out fully I think it will continue.

I wait until midday to remove as much as I can, and a small dehumidifier is in place too.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - Jackie Carvell

Hi I have the this problem 2017 model going in again to dealer next wk 2nd visit for this problem anyone else had this problem and how did they get on fixing it

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - jc2
Air con-systems don't normally operate below 5 deg. C.
Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - jthan

In every a/c equipped car I have used, I have found that using the a/c leads to the windscreen misting up more when parked.

Rightly or wrongly, my suspicion is that some of the moisture which the system clears so efficiently in use stays in the trunking and evaporates back onto the screen when parked.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts...

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - RT

In every a/c equipped car I have used, I have found that using the a/c leads to the windscreen misting up more when parked.

Rightly or wrongly, my suspicion is that some of the moisture which the system clears so efficiently in use stays in the trunking and evaporates back onto the screen when parked.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts...

If that happens, it's more likely to be a blocked condensate drain tube.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - focussed

Yes it happens - the moist outside air condensing on the cold aircon element in the heater housing, evaporates after car stopped, goes up the demist trunking and condenses on the cold screen.

The remedy is to turn off the aircon a mile or so before stopping, turn the heater to maximum to dry out the aircon element and shut the heater system down.

The same advice as is given to avoid smelly aircon.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - RT

Yes it happens - the moist outside air condensing on the cold aircon element in the heater housing, evaporates after car stopped, goes up the demist trunking and condenses on the cold screen.

The remedy is to turn off the aircon a mile or so before stopping, turn the heater to maximum to dry out the aircon element and shut the heater system down.

The same advice as is given to avoid smelly aircon.

That's only needed if there's a problem - many cars have climate control these days where the a/c is running all the time, right up to turning the engine off.

If the condensate drain is blocked / restricted or the cabin filter is blocked / restricted, the best thing is to rectify the fault.

Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - Steveieb
An elderly relative had flat battery problems with her new I 10 and the dealer refused to believe her , thinking it was her leaving the door open.
It was only when I became involved and took the car back that they checked with Head Office and found that there was a problem behind the dash on all these cars causing battery discharge.

But it was there refusal to believe there was a problem that was frustrating and at one time I began to believe them.
Hyundai i20 - Frozen windscreen on inside of Hyundai i20 - sammy1

High level of water vapour on the inside of car. Could be a leak, not being driven much or with the recent wet/snowy weather it is surprising how much water you can take into your car on your footwear and it cannot dry out in this weather.