Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - mikej

My 55-plate 2l petrol Mazda 6 has started stalling when approaching junctions and when putting the clutch in or coasting for short distances at slow speeds (in car parks or traffic queues for example)

When this happens, the revs drop below the normal idling range (650-700), bounce up and down and the car then sometimes stalls once they get below around 500. The car will always start fine whenever this happens and I'm able to pull away without a problem.

It started doing this following a flat battery over the Christmas holidays, which I'd recharged. As I've had flat battery issues before, I decided to use this opportunity to replace the battery and a new battery has not solved the stalling problem. (following advice I've read, I'd let the car idle on the drive for 25 minutes once the new battery was connected).

I think the key thing here is that the stalling only occurs when the car is moving - the car starts fine, it will idle fine whilst sat on the drive and it will also idle fine once the handbrake is on and the car is stationary at a junction. In all these cases, it's presumably running on the battery.

I have noticed that the headlights flicker slightly occasionally when stationary and idling though, although I have noticed this happen in the past when I've not had the stalling problem.

I'm presumably going through the ECU-relearning process at the moment, but I've been through this before when I've had reason to disconnect the battery, so I don't think it's this that's the issue. I've driven about 50 miles on the new battery so far at a range of speeds.

All other driving appears normal and there are no other obvious symptoms other than those mentioned above.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Edited by mikej on 19/01/2011 at 23:18

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - Med

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the short response at the moment, but i am sure somewhere there was a recall for this. I'll have a look later and let you know.

Are you getting any sort of "knocking" noises from the back of the car?

Unfortunately, the Mazda 6 UK Owner's Club forum disappeared last year, so the only TSB list I can find is from an american forum :

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=13

I've had a quick scan down but can't find anything that looks relevant.

I did have the ECU software upgraded a few years ago, but that was to correct the idle speed while stationary, which was a bit on the low side at the time.

I'm not getting any knocking noises from the rear that I can hear, although I do have a bracket on the 'Y' section of the (twin) exhaust that's come away and rattles. This is presumably unconnected to this problem and just needs welding back on.

When searching for stalling problems online, possible causes can include the idle control valve, alternator, battery, split hoses, or could it be a speed sensor issue, as it only happens when the car is moving ? The ECU controls the ICV by the sounds of it, so maybe I should see if it improves with driving over time.

I've borrowed an OBD2 fault code reader so I'll see if that gives anything useful.

In the meantime, any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Update - the U380 OBD2 fault code reader I borrowed isn't CAN-compliant, so doesn't read the codes from my car, which (after a quick online search) looks like it requires a CAN-compliant scanner :o(

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - Mr_Jolly

Hi

I posted about the exact same issue with my diesel:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89020

I did find these notes after a search:

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1529.0.html

and

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1575213-mazda_6_2_0_136bhp_diesel_stalls_all

Thanks for the reply - I've also stumbled across those threads when I've been looking into this problem.

As far as I can tell, suction control valves (scv) seem to only be present on cars with diesel engines though, so might not relevant to my problem as mine's a petrol.

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - phatt al

Hey there,I'm having exactly the problem as this following disconnecting my battery and subsequently replacing it. I also seem to have lost the ability to use the electric windows from the drivers door console. That has happened before following the disconnection ofthe battery but eventually gets better??? Did you find out what it was or what caused your issue?

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - Falkirk Bairn

I have had the similar stalling issues with my much older Mazda - not so much stalling as dying at a road junction or just as I reverse into a parking space / my driveway.

A few gallons of V-power / Ultimate and an Italian Tune-Up seems to work wonders ............. repeat as necessary every few months.

I had tried new leads, new / clean up plugs etc in the past but the premium petrol / fast run in lower gears seems to work on my car at least.

A few gallons of V-power / Ultimate and an Italian Tune-Up seems to work wonders ............. repeat as necessary every few months.

I had tried new leads, new / clean up plugs etc in the past but the premium petrol / fast run in lower gears seems to work on my car at least.

Thanks for the tip - I guess I've not got much to lose by giving it a go !

The problem went away on it's own when this happened last year, but funnily enough it's started happening again, following a week or so when the car was in the garage with the battery disconnected at the end of last year.

Having read up on the problem further, I decided to clean out the throttle body. I couldn't get it out of the car completely, but managed to clean it (carefully !) partially in-situ. This didn't solve the problem entirely, but it did stop the car falling to 500 revs and stalling so I'm wondering whether cleaning it out properly might be the way forward.

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - nikonman

Hello Mikej,

As previously mentioned the mazda 6 forum closed, but is now open again on another website name.

Most of the old members are still there including me !

www.mazda6oc.co.uk/

I take it that you cleaned out the gunk from the throttle body, did that settle the idle speed and cure your problem ?

Air filter ok ?

You could try cleaning the maf sensor inside the air filter housing carefully with some servisol switch cleaner, or change spark plugs if they are crudded up.

Mazda say 5 yrs on iriduim plugs, I swap them every 2 years for peace of mind.

Nowt much goes wrong with a petrol 6.

Keep on good oil with regular changes and everything should be just dandy.

I take it that you cleaned out the gunk from the throttle body, did that settle the idle speed and cure your problem ?

Air filter ok ?

You could try cleaning the maf sensor inside the air filter housing carefully with some servisol switch cleaner, or change spark plugs if they are crudded up.

Mazda say 5 yrs on iriduim plugs, I swap them every 2 years for peace of mind.

Nowt much goes wrong with a petrol 6.

Keep on good oil with regular changes and everything should be just dandy.

Hi Nikonman - cleaning out the throttle body properly and also the MAF sensor seems to have helped in so much as it's not stalling any more, but the idle speed when moving is still erratic so it's not solved it completely.

Car is dealer serviced every year, so I'm guessing it shouldn't be a air filter/plugs issue but I'll check.

As for your comment 'nowt goes wrong with a Mazda 6', I might have to take issue with that ! New wheel bearings and a battery at 40k miles ? How about catastrophic gearbox failure caused by a design/manufacturing fault requiring a replacement gearbox at 50k miles ?! I'll get over to the new forum and give you all the gory details soon... ;o)

Edited by mikej on 27/02/2012 at 21:00

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - KittyC

Hi, Just joined so may not be doing the right thing. My Mazda 6 has decided to die on me today!. It started fine this afternoon, and then when I tried to start her later, she was having none of it. The lights work, the drivers window works etc. We charged the battery, but it has not made the slightest difference. The battery did go flat in September, very quickly, but I have not had a problem since. The strange thing is, that when I turn the engine over, all the needles on the gages flick round to the maximum/ flick right. So the rev counter, Mileomiter show maximum speed/revs, but there doesn't seem to be enough power to turn the engine. I have also had the problem where the windows, other than the drivers window do not respond to the drivers control panel situated on the drivers door. Is this a general fault. And while I am at it, the idling speed does seem to be too low, If you don't give enought rev's when pulling away, the car will die. It's not usually too much of a problem for me, as I'm not a Sunday driver, but I do wonder if this is a fault with the car. Love It otherwise. Any suggestions will be warmly welcomed

Hi Kitty - it's far better to start your own thread, but I'll try and answer some of your questions for you...

If all the needles do a full sweep when trying to start the car, that's usually a sign that a new battery is needed - at least that was the score on my previous Focus.

I had to replace the battery on my Mazda 6 at around 5 years/40k+ miles, so the OEM batteries are obviously of a poor standard. I forget the exact value, but the Mazda seems to need a certain voltage in order to start - any less than this and you'll get no response at all, so yours may be dipping below this. I replaced my battery with a decent (Bosch) equivalent and have had no problems since. My advice is to charge the battery up and then take it to a car auto place (or Halfords) for a free battery health check.

When the battery is disconnected or goes flat, the other windows need to be reprogrammed to respond to the main drivers panel - it tells you how to do this in the manual.

As for the low idle problem, I had this on my car and a dealer did a software update and this helped a bit. Our previous MX-5 also had a low idle - must be a Mazda 'thing'. My current stalling issue is being caused by something else.

Hope that helps.

Mazda 6 - 2l petrol Mazda 6 stalling at junctions - LolM

My 55-plate 2l petrol Mazda 6 has started stalling when approaching junctions and when putting the clutch in or coasting for short distances at slow speeds (in car parks or traffic queues for example)

When this happens, the revs drop below the normal idling range (650-700), bounce up and down and the car then sometimes stalls once they get below around 500. The car will always start fine whenever this happens and I'm able to pull away without a problem.

It started doing this following a flat battery over the Christmas holidays, which I'd recharged. As I've had flat battery issues before, I decided to use this opportunity to replace the battery and a new battery has not solved the stalling problem. (following advice I've read, I'd let the car idle on the drive for 25 minutes once the new battery was connected).

I think the key thing here is that the stalling only occurs when the car is moving - the car starts fine, it will idle fine whilst sat on the drive and it will also idle fine once the handbrake is on and the car is stationary at a junction. In all these cases, it's presumably running on the battery.

I have noticed that the headlights flicker slightly occasionally when stationary and idling though, although I have noticed this happen in the past when I've not had the stalling problem.

I'm presumably going through the ECU-relearning process at the moment, but I've been through this before when I've had reason to disconnect the battery, so I don't think it's this that's the issue. I've driven about 50 miles on the new battery so far at a range of speeds.

All other driving appears normal and there are no other obvious symptoms other than those mentioned above.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as yourself.

I took it to the Mazda dealership today. They said that whenever the battery has been changed it's necessary for the management system to relearn it's settings. This can be accomplished by turning the steering from lock to lock. The management system will then begin to relearn previous settings. Sounds bizarre I know. I did this and I'm afraid that I can't claim that it has cured the problem. From start up at the idle speed the engine hunts around the normal idling point. After battery replacement (Kwikfit\) they observed that the battery voltage fluctuated bertween 12 and 14 volts.

Vehicle has another complaint under investigation. It has developed a noise in an area which seems to be at the alternator. I wonder if this could be the cause of the above problem i.e it is loading the engine at tick over ?? However the noise was apparent before the battery was swapped so I am learning to manage a car which stops at every junction requiring a stop.

Heeeelp !!