At auction tonight - DavidHM
Some of the more interesting cars at auction today

90H Renault 5 Campus, 6 months' MoT but blowing exhaust, £8
91H Nissan Figaro, finance repo, some body work needed, £3100 provisional
96P Renault Laguna RXE, 134k, purple, £750, a bit rough
96P Mazda MX5, UK car, 44k, fsh but not mint, non standard alloys, £3700 provisional
98R Mondeo 1.8 LX a/c, 102k but lovely condition, £1225

Mostly though, nothing exciting and I only included the Mondeo because it was an amazing bargain that I wish I'd bought myself.
At auction tonight - blank
Certainly a bargain on the Mondeo, but unfortunately reminds me what mine is likely to be worth in a couple of years with slightly higher milage.

Am currently trying to get good info on MX5's. Do you know what spec (1.6i, 1.8i or 1.8iS) the car was and can you comment on how ratty it was?

Thanks a lot
Andy
At auction tonight - Maz
Hi Andy

Not quite such an exceptional price but saw a P-Plate MX-5 for £5k (no offers) in last weeks Trade-it. Seems about the same price is being asked for a P plate or an H or J. Sadly it was a 1.6 and HJ says this is underpowered with a cat.

Anyone know when the cat came in on the MX5 and Eunos?
At auction tonight - DavidHM
No idea on the spec of the MX5. It was red, with a hardtop, quite faded paint and badly kerbed Momo alloys. It sounded okay, but it looked like it had been lowered and generally seemed well used. It was locally registered (BPE, like my car) and with main dealer history and about 6 months' MoT I think.

The auction crowd was mostly after sub-bangers and not interested in the Mazda at all. I wasn't particularly bothered at the time either, so I can't comment on the interior or engine condition, it just wasn't the usual pampered MX5.
At auction tonight - T Lucas
Eunos has always had cat fitted,don't understand the underpowered 1600 bit though,is that in comparison to a Skyline?
At auction tonight - Maz
Is that in comparison to a Skyline?

Hehe.

This is what I was referring to

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=22...0

I thought I also read earlier that when the cat was fitted the loss of power made the 1.6 into a 90hp nightmare.

As an H reg Eunos produces around 118hp IIRC, I assumed no cat. Where am I going wrong?
At auction tonight - blank
My slightly sketchy knowledge says that early MX5's had about 115bhp from the 1.6. I think this was the case until about '93.

Later MX5 1.6's only had about 90bhp or so, but the very recent ones are higher powered.

Far from sure about the cat's.
At auction tonight - T Lucas
The Japanese Eunos 1600 gave a bit more power than the Euro MX-5,can't remember the figures,but i'd have a bet that with 10 cars,5 with the 1600cc and 5 with the 1800cc the average punter could not tell the difference and identify which was which.Mind you if you were planning to tow a large twin axel caravan....
At auction tonight - Maz
I'm not sure what to think!

I think £5k is very competitive for a P plate 1.6 MX5 and I wonder if there's a reason when H & J's are going for much the same in my neck of the woods. (Ad says good condition)

Unless I can get a definitive answer I guess I'll have to go and test drive the car and see for myself. As this would involve me staying sober over the weekend it's not ideal though!! :->

Does anyone have any other views? Is the P-plate 1.6 going to have the same power & weight as the H plate?