Insuring 89-year old fathers car for self and son - leonora

My 89-year old father had a stroke last August which affected his peripheral vision in one eye. He has not driven since but the doctor has not actually told him to contact the DVLA or insurance company so my son (who lives nearby) and myself (who live 60 miles away) who are both on the insurance policy have been driving him and my mother around in his car. The renewal has just come up and we had decided that the best thing to do was insure the car in my name with my son as a named driver. This has pushed the premium from £799 with his company to over £1,400. I was told this is because I do not have an NCB with them and that I could transfer my own from my policy but this would evidently affect my own premium. I then contacted another company who informed me that I could not insure my father's car for myself as he is the registered owner and keeper. Please could someone advise what is the best /cheapest course of action to keep the car at my father's address but with my son and myself as the sole drivers. and without this impacting on my own insurance costs. I would add that my own car is a three door and cannot therefore accommodate both of my parents as they are not agile to fit into the back.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Insuring 89-year old fathers car for self and son - bathtub tom

I had a similar problem when I bought a second car. Both were registered in my name, but the wife was the main driver of one, so I thought it should be insured with her as the policyholder. Many companies wouldn't quote because she wasn't the registered keeper.

Sheila's wheels came up trumps.

Try the price comparison websites.

Insuring 89-year old fathers car for self and son - leonora

Thanks for this info. I did try the price comparison sites but there is no provision for inputting separate addresses for the policyholder and the owner/keeper. At least your answer tells me that the insurance company informing me it was illegal to insure a car for someone other than the registered owner was incorrect so I can pursue other options by phone.

Insuring 89-year old fathers car for self and son - SlidingPillar
Assuming he is with a mainstream insurer, start by asking them.

Although I am currently trying to get my licence back, I had to surrender it for medical reasons. With the NFU, no problem in me being the owner of my landrover, but the sole driver is my brother. Different addresses - no problem.

Not even a charge to issue a new certificate.

A good real broker ought to be familiar with the situation, but you'll never find a web site that copes in my opinion.