Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - Vectra timing belt problem/dead engine? - vladcjelli

Couple of months ago, took my Y reg Vauxhall Vectra 1.6 in for a dose of preventative maintenance. It's done less than 60,000 miles, but has not had full servicing lavished on it in the five years I've owned it. I have changed oil and filters annually, but only by myself, an enthusiastic unskilled amateur.

So with ten years and sixty thousand miles looming, I thought it was time to replace the timing belt to avoid the horror stories of cylinder head/valve damage due to belt breakage. Took the car to a small independent garage which is handy for where I work. Couple of months of trouble free running were interrupted last week by a rattling from the engine area. Phoned to book it in for diagnosis, but car would not start to get it to the garage. It had broken down right next to another garage however, so I asked them to have a look. They could tell the timing belt was recent, but could also see how much slack was in the belt, and advised me to contact the garage who had changed the belt to put right the work they had done.

After inspection by the original mechanic, a failed water pump was found to be the cause of the problem. He is going to fit a new water pump to see if the engine runs with the timing belt back in place, if not we will have to find out the extent of the damage in the cylinder head.

Now I realise hindsight is a wonderful thing, but after researching the problem here and around the internet, the general consensus seems to be that during timing belt replacement the water pump should be replaced if only because the majority of the labour in replacing it has been done when taking the belt off.

So to my question, should I have expected the mechanic to change the water pump, or at least suggest/recommend replacement when I booked it in? Surely an experienced mechanic should be aware of the best practise around this issue? From my research this seems to be a common problem with many makes of engine, not just Vauxhall.

Should he bear some of the financial responsibility if the major rebuilding work I fear becomes necessary? How much is it likely to cost? The car (low mileage and fairly good condition notwithstanding) can't be worth all that much by now, so expense approaching/exceeding £four figure sum is hard to justify/afford, but not really in a position to buy a new car either.

If you've lasted this long, congratulations, I appear to have rambled on a tad.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - Vectra timing belt problem/dead engine? - clewsy01
As with VX engines of this age, changing the water pump should be common place and experianced mechanics normally know this. However it is only classed as good practice to change the water pump on a timing belt change.

On these engines (is yours an z16xe or x16xe) vauxhall changed the timing recommendations to 4 years or 40,000 miles which ever is sooner, i think it used to 80,000 and then to 60,000 but it was still written to change the pump only at 80.000 miles. follow that? thats why its not a general requirement but good practice. To me as I have said that when ever the belt is off just change it anyway as its easy to do, and on older pumps it is known for the impeller to just shear off etc.

In my view the mechanic in question knowing the cars mileage should have changed the pump regardless as obviously the next time the timing belt was due the pump would have been passed its mileage specs anyway., The pump was already at its replace age in years, it should have been changed. I would see your local VX dealer and they will give you the full info in case i got anything wrong but I got a 1.6 zafira with these specs, so both engines should be more or less the same.

however if the belt snapped I would not be too hopefull of little engine damage and brace yourself to tackle him on whos gonna pay to put it right. I hope your lucky and its runs ok. good luck
Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - Vectra timing belt problem/dead engine? - vladcjelli

Still waiting for the garage to hook up the new pump and see if it runs.

Regarding the belt, it was intact, but had lost a lot of tension, so the feeling is that it may have been driving the cams at the wrong times having slipped a number of teeth. I assume this is when damage may occur?

So continue blissfully ignorant of potential damage/costs of repair with fingers permanently crossed.

Have now found my mechanic for life. Every car I ever own will pass through this guys hallowed garage doors.

Fixed the damaged valve (replaced the whole set apparently), replaced water pump, cam belt, oil/filter change, coolant change and car now runs as well as it ever has with no sign of problems. All this at no cost as a massive gesture of goodwill.

My faith in mankind (especially those wielding spanners) has been restored.

Small independent garages rule!