speed bumps - crazed
man arrested in oxford today for criminal damage

seems he was digging up the speed bump outside his home

he had tried appealing to the council

very sad state of affairs in this country

speed bumps - Citroënian {P}
I don't normally get into the sp££d cam£ra debates, but this speed hump thing is really beginning to annoy me.

I'm quite happy to drive at 15 or 20mph or whatever the local kids need to play safely, but I resent the huge thump my car makes when going over these things at even 3/4mph.

Worse still, those around here are seemingly just big boulders in the road. I'm sure there's prescribed limits to how steep and high these things are, but West Yorkshire must be at those limits.

Luckily though it doesn't slow down the idiots in 4x4s who can approach these at whatever speed they fancy and zoom over them straddling them, just to tailgate me as I try and keep under the limit and my exhaust and catalyst on the car.

Lee.
speed bumps - SteveH42
I'm quite happy to drive at 15 or 20mph or whatever
the local kids need to play safely, but I resent the
huge thump my car makes when going over these things at
even 3/4mph.

About a year back, Tameside council installed some real killers on the road leading up to Mottram church. Even crawling over them you get a great thump, but to make it worse, these are on a fairly steep hill. Now surely this is really daft - it seems to me the safest, as well as the most mechanically sympathetic way to climb such a hill is at a constant speed. Having to slow right down to the point of having to use the clutch to avoid stalling then having to change up to get any speed up the hill must be causing untold damage to my car and more so to those who live there.

I wrote to them to point out just how bad they were and was basically told tough, they are there to stay. Apparently they are part of their policy of introducing 20mph zones around all schools, and there was wide consultation before they were installed. Now, I use this road twice a week and my partner lives in Mottram and neither of us had heard anything. Of course we might have missed it, but I'd doubt that a friend of my partner who actually works at the school in question would have missed anything, and she was totally unaware of them as well...

speed bumps - Henri
Not only Mottram - Broadbottom as well! There's a 20mph limit through the village, which is really quite sensible but the speed humps are down-right dangerous. The road is not wide and has car parking on both sides of the road which narrows down the road to JUST enough room for 2 ordinary cars to pass in opposite directions. However the speed humps are such that cars are steered all over the road to avoid the highest points. It is extremely hairy driving from the Mottram end in the early morning against the predominantly on-coming traffic!

My other gripe in the area is the traffic lights on Broadbottom Bridge. Apart from the peculiarity of the timing for drivers there is a horse crossing light for the bridle way through the old quarry to access the road across the bridge. I rarely use this because in order to make it across the bridge in the time allowed you have to ride through at a very fast trot on a slippery road surface. The bridge is part of the Trans-Pennine Trail, a bonafide bridle way and the local authority have a legal responsibility to keep it safe for horses and riders and it isn't.
speed bumps - Ian Cook
The man deserves a medal, but of course he will lose and end up in court.

Pity.

Ian Cook
speed bumps - crazed
im all in favour of sponsored dig the humps up days

we could raise money for charity

the more of us the merrier, let them arrest us all

speed bumps - Toad, of Toad Hall.
The man deserves a medal, but of course he will lose
and end up in court.

And whilst 40 per cent of fines are not collected *his* *will* be enforced.

Still I managed to stop a plod at Gatwick getting out of his junction this morning. As a gesture it wouldn't have made Oscar Schindler proud but a small gesture...
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
speed bumps - Armitage Shanks{P}
I wouldn't know where to find them but I do know that there are construction standards for road humps and pads and if your car is damaged by one which does not conform I guess you could speak to one of the no win no fee litigation firms. In the end the slowing and accelerating and use of brakes enforced by bumps and humps releases much more pollution into the air than driving at a steady (and safe) speed. The trick would seem to be to enforce limits in a way which allows steady speed driving, within the limit.
speed bumps - James_Jameson
Citroenian,

are you saying all 4*4 drivers are idiots? Bearing in mind the state of our roads, even without the speed humps making matters worse, I should think that using a vehicle that can cope with our roads is a very sensible thing.

Another point on speed humps - some studies have shown that properties in the vicinity have sustained damage to their foundations as a result of the constant thumping of vehicles over the humps.
speed bumps - Flat in Fifth
I wouldn't know where to find them but I do know
that there are construction standards for road humps and pads and (snip)

AS, here you are

You need The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999

www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19991025.htm

also The Highways (Traffic Calming) Regulations 1999

www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19991026.htm

You might also like to look at the Traffic Calming Bibliography which will give you lots of possibilities to put into your search engine to find the appropriate documents.

www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetwork/ditm/tal/traffic/...m

And on a wider basis the full list of traffic advisory leaflets is always worth having in your favourites

www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetwork/ditm/tal/fullinde...m

speed bumps - Armitage Shanks{P}
FIF. What a mine of very useful information you are! Thank you for those links!
speed bumps - blank
How about a camera that takes a picture of your registration plate if you exceed the speed limit. With these devices we will be able to drive along at or below the speed limit, at a steady speed. ;-))
speed bumps - GJD
How about a camera that takes a picture of your registration
plate if you exceed the speed limit. With these devices
we will be able to drive along at or below the
speed limit, at a steady speed. ;-))

And then, when one or two members of the baseball cap brigade drive through preposterously fast and get photographed and disqualified, the local residents, many of whom don't drive, can apply to have the limit reduced anyway. Power to the people. How refreshing.
speed bumps - Flat in Fifth
Please assume smiley winky things wherever necessary.

Of course it is the residents who campaigned strongest for the limit reduction who are always actually the ones to get nicked. Mum on the school run, Dad on the way to work, Uncle Bert on his way to the Legion etc etc.

speed bumps - Dynamic Dave
The full story:-

www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/oxfordshire/archive/20...l
Strange that around where I live there seems to be money for speed humps and other congestion-creating schemes, but not for mending the roads. Even cheap, short-lived patching up / filling in of holes takes weeks to achieve.

Pity the road tax (used to be called "road fund licence"!) doesn't get spent on the roads.
speed bumps - crazed
why dont you drop the leader of the council your thoughts on this issue ?

keith.mitchell@oxfordshire.gov.uk
speed bumps - crazed
contents of my email to council leader

Hi,

I would like to nominate Ian Beesley for an outstanding citizen award. I would be grateful if your council could give this award due consideration.

For fighting the council mandarins who are blindly following an anti-car agenda, and failing to improve road injury statistics.

The ever thinner roads, increased persecution for minor speed infringements while driving safely, speed bumps causing ever more widespread adoption of 4 x 4 vehicles, none of this makes sense.

You really should review the thoughts of the silent majority, and I humbly suggest organisations such as the association of British drivers have a better handle on that, www.abd.org.uk

Congratulations for getting your council on the national news for being a shambles, and clearly not consulting the public in a wide enough way.

Regards etc
speed bumps - CM
contents of my email to council leader

Crazed, I'm sure that your letter won't get a reply but I think that you comments raise an important point. With the ever increasing tampering with the roads to slow people down, usually by putting obstructions in the middle of the road, I believe that drivers become more irrate and when this happens concentration levels are reduced and accidents could possibly rise. Also it seems that it is our nature that if we have been stuck in some (unnecessary) queue then we will drive more erratically and quickly when we can (to make up for lost time).

I do it myself to a certain degree so presume that lots of others do as well. If this is the case then these impediments are slightly counter productive.

The calming scheme that annoys me the most is without doubt when in towns/villages one lane has been completely blocked off and a priority system has been implemented. Annoying and IMO increases the danger of crashing.
speed bumps - TrevorP
"I do it myself to a certain degree so presume that lots of others do as well."

Ah yes - the infamous
"I think x - so OBVIOUSLY most other people think the same"
syndrome.

My aged mother always starts conversations with neighbour with words
"I'm sure dear that you'll agree that . . . ."
speed bumps - BrianW
TrevorP
Nothing to do with thinking (it annoys me when people say "you did , or said, that because you ........." when no such thought crossed my mind) but all to do with ones own ACTIONS and those observed in others.

My observations are that vehicles which have been travelling at 60 or so, after being held up accelerate rapidly to a far higher speed than they were travelling at before the holdup.
An update. A website is planned to support \"Digger\'s\" cause, free legal representation has been offered to him, and a t-shirt campaign.
This bloke needs praising, not punishing.

www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/oxfordshire/archive/20...l
CM - I sympathise with the way you feel. I too get so worked up by traffic "calming" (driver irritation) schemes that I also feel compelled to get my own back in some way - driving faster whenever I get the opportunity because I like to ENJOY driving and don't want to be held up by artificial means.

When the traffic is heavy, we all get held up "naturally"; when it's clear, I'm sure we all want to ENJOY driving, not to be told "OK, the road is clear, but we'll fine you / slow you down / irritate you if possible.
speed bumps - madf
Well I enjoy driving but some of you sound as if you need stress management courses:-)

I can recommend yoga:-)
madf
speed bumps - TrevorP
"I too get so worked up by traffic "calming"

I suggest you take madf's advice.

I LIKE traffic calming.

It slows the "Richard Heads" to the speed that I was doing anyway.
speed bumps - neil
Interesting point, TP - and one we would all do well to remember the next time you're wearing your 'advanced driving instructor' persona! "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" as we used to say!
speed bumps - TrevorP
but this IS part of the 'advanced driving instructor' persona!!

Where O where did some people get the really STUPID idea that 'advanced driving' means driving fast?

Especially around housing estates?
(like where they put these "intolerable" speed bumps.)
speed bumps - Blue {P}
Trev, would you want one of these things outside your house?

So I take it that you drive over the things at 30 mph? Of course you don't, some of them are so violent that you have to come to an almost stop to get over them gently. These are made too sharp/steep/tall whatever and they do damage to my car unless I stop and go over in 1st gear, why should I have to put up with that?

Blue
speed bumps - neil
Well said Blue! That is EXACTLY my point Trevor - these absurd things have no place in advanced driving - they reduce all to the lowest common denominator - of faxing gaze on the 'target' speed hump rather than the little old lady/pram wielding mother/child playing a few feet either side of it. Hence, my view that your 'advanced' driving and mine are not the same perhaps. And I didn't suggest that advanced = fast, although I have to say 'making maximum progress in safety' does ring a bell...? You, on the other hand, prefer your traffic 'calmed' - okay, lets not argue, but it doesn't seem consistent with advanced driving theory to me!

Neil
speed bumps - Blue {P}
The whole point is that advanced drivers don't need traffic calming as they are perfectly calm and safe without the things.

I make rapid progress through the City Centre without ever breaking the speed limit, and yet I can leave other cars in my dust, through careful lane planning etc. rather than all out pedal to the metal, speed limit smashing...

I don't really know where I'm going with this strange rambling response because I think it's time that I went to bed, but I suppose all I really want to say is that personally, I think that too many speed bumps are badly constructed and damaging and i find them highly irritating as I have absoloutely no need of them...

I'll go to bed now. :)

Blue
speed bumps - TrevorP
"these absurd things have no place in advanced driving -"

Of COURSE, they don't dear boy -

Neither of course do speed cameras

OR speed limits of any kind

and any of the other REAL WORLD stuff.

You carry on living in your dream world -
I will carry on in the real.
speed bumps - HF
Hello Blue, m'dear,

Shedding bucket-loads of anguish here because I slightly disagree with you on this point! (don't know the 'tears' sign on here but suffice to say I have been breathing the fumes from that garlic last night!)

Speed humps in stupid places, for example all the places near where I live where all the residents of the 'rich' roads got them put in purely because of their influence with the local councillor - well those are stupidand should be done away with.

I maintain however, that outside my kiddie's schools, for lack of other preventative measures, I think we should have speed humps. (sorry going back to earlier discussion, and don't mean to be monotonous!)

There are alternatives, as have been pointed out to me- - and I agree with the alternatives, if ad when the council ever puts them into practice.

Well I hope i haven't annoyed you Blue - just aother side to the argument you're having.

Take care Blue,
HF

speed bumps - Blue {P}
Hi HF, I couldn't resist waiting just a bit longer to see if anyone replied. :)

I agree with them outside of schools and stuff, I was refering mainly to residential roads where they tend to be more badly constructed. I've driven over some that are absoloutely viscous (they were constructed from red blocks) and really would do damage to the car. These are the kind where nothing short of stopping before each bump will do. I think I should have worded the post better!

There is a sort of raised platform with a crossing on it outside of my brother's school and indeed I think it is worth it, as it makes more drivers stop for the kids, if it wasn't there, then they would be more likely to try and speed across before the kids get to the edge of the crossing...

HF - You could never annoy me by disagreeing with me! :) I'm not the kind to think I'm always right and I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong (well sometimes anyway :), you can count the above as a sort of admission as I didn't think about or mention schools etc. when I wrote my first posts! oops. That's what I like about posting at this time of night, you can say almost anything and blame it on tiredness! :)

Take care.

Blue
speed bumps - HF
That's what I like about posting
at this time of night, you can say almost anything and
blame it on tiredness! :)

Hello Blue,

I am dreadfully tired, as I always am at this time of night/day.
Which must excuse anything I've ever said on here!
And i *know* what you were referring to, I was just trying to make a point that this isn't necessarily a totally above-the-board general thing - as you obviously know, with your comment about your brother's school..

Agree that most speed humps are riduculous and damage our cars. And am being converted away from the idea of speed humps outside every school,as long as there are other traffic calming schemes that work there. Still not convinced that I wouldn't be happier seeing them outside my youngest's school - other realy good possiblities have been mentioned here to me, but I cannot really see the council doing any of these. If they do, great, But it will take more than me campaigning on my own to achieve a change!

Well, like I said, I'm tired and am talking nonsense - so better go, wish you well Blue, have a good night and speak to you soon I hope.
HF
Blue Oval and HF. Some sensible thoughts. Basically, I would like to see common sense coming from education and not control.

Control is for the less educated, in the controller as well as the controlled. It's too easy to keep piling on more and more restrictions.

As Blue Oval said, you can make "fast" progress without being dangerous, it just takes better driver education and, perhaps, a different approach to driver training and the driving test.
speed bumps - TrevorP
"it just takes better driver education"

Absolutely.

"Understanding your own attitudes and changing them to reduce accident risk is a difficult task"

"Many drivers who are fast, aggresive and inconsiderate are quite happy with the way they drive and do not accept that it is unsafe.
They tend to think that their behaviour is more common than it really is, and that it is as a result of external pressure rather than their own choice.
These rationalisations create barriers to attitude change."

- Source:- Chapter 1 of Roadcraft.
speed bumps - BrianW
"Many drivers who are fast, aggresive and inconsiderate are quite happy with the way they drive and do not accept that it is unsafe."

It's the aggressive and inconsiderate bit that we really have to deal with, and that can only be done by on the spot by law enforcement officers.

The police do not seem to have the resources to do this, and IMHO the criminalisation of certain technical motoring offences has done great damage to police/public relations.

Maybe it is time to have a separate body, trained only in
road traffic matters, to take to the roads, actually catch these idiots in the act and issue fixed penalty notices or institute court proceedings as appropriate. They need not be concerned with speed limit enforcement: it would be careless driving, dangerous driving or nothing.

Such a body would not need the training in drugs, riot control, first aid, etc., etc. of a fully fledged police officer but could make a major impact on road safety.
speed bumps - HF
It's the aggressive and inconsiderate bit that we really have to
deal with, and that can only be done by on the
spot by law enforcement officers.

Yes, absolutely! We could have all the improved driver training in the world, but it is never going to change the attitudes of those who drive aggressively and inconsiderately, and believe that they have some god-given right to put the lives of all other road-users at risk so that they don't get home from work 5 minutes late.
speed bumps - TrevorP
Oh yes.

Which is why the "cowboy drivers group" asking for training INSTEAD of being fined is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Latest update for those still interested;-

Builder Ian \'Digger\' Beesley has been charged with criminal damage after digging up an Oxford road hump in November. He will appear at Oxford Magistrates Court on December 13. And in a double blow for the 41-year-old, his JCB digger was also given a parking ticket -- after he drove it to the city\'s St Aldate\'s police station on December 11. He had parked on double yellow lines in Floyd Row and had caused traffic jams while he was at the police station.

Rest of story at:- www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/oxfordshire/archive/20...l

De-humper Guilty - Jonathan {p}
Taken from today's telegraph.

Good on him I say.

Speed-hump digger guilty
(Filed: 03/10/2003)

A builder who dug up a speed hump with his JCB has been found guilty of causing criminal damage.

Ian Beesley
Ian Beesley, 42, took his mechanical digger to the bump after five weeks of sleepless nights caused by lorries passing over it on Ferry Hinksey Road, Oxford.

He was given a one-year conditional discharge and orderd to pay £263 compensation to Oxfordshire County Council.

The verdict followed Home Secretary David Blunkett's comment that he had a "great deal of sympathy" with the plant operator.

An acoustics expert told Oxford Magistrates Court today that Mr Beesley would have been exposed to as much noise as a pneumatic drill outside his bedroom.

District judge Brian Loosley said: "Whilst I cannot possibly condone what you did, I can accept at the end of the day, why you did what you did."
De-humper Guilty - Dynamic Dave
This\'ll get merged into the previous thread on the subject later DD.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8891

Done, 04/10/03. DD
HELP - action against speed bumps? - kate
**Does anybody know of any case where residents have campaigned against speed bumps - and won?**

I have less than a week to come up with a valid argument.

Does anybody have any points that I could use?

The 30MPH spine road neighbouring my road houses a boys secondary school c 1800 pupils. At the end of this road a second secondary school for girls is under construction due to house a similar number of girls (picture the scene?!!).

The local council is, quite correctly, reclassifying all roads in the vicinity as 20MPH. It is accompanying this with an inordinate number of "75mm high mastic asphalt flat topped speed cushions" and "80mm high bituminous round topped road humps" not to mention a couple of unspecified "junction tables" and "plateaus".

To spine road is wide with cars parked along either side during the day leaving still sufficient space for two lorries to comfortably pass whilst travelling (if safe to do so outside school start and end times) at the maximum 30Mph.

My road is U shaped adjoing the spine road at each end of the U. The U circumnavigates one proposed "75mm high mastic asphalt flat topped speed cushion". Each side of the U houses about 10-20 houses per side. There is sufficient width for two cars to pass comfortably at speeds lower than 30Mph if there are no parked cars. All houses are 1930's 3 bed semi and quite a lot have retro-installed a one-small-car-driveway in the front garden. Few are sufficiently spaced to house a shared driveway between houses.

The average number of cars/vans per household is nearer 2 than 1. Consequently cars are parked on both sides of the road although part mounted on teh pavement on one side. It is IMPOSSIBLE for even a boy racer to negotiate the entire length of the road at speeds of anything more than 15mph - even during the day. Children play in the street on the flat bit of the "U" (inspite of all houses having decent size gardens and the boys schools playing fields being open to the public) and they tend to be quite careful and polite moving out of the way as cars pass.

So what is my objection? Each of the three sides of the U are to have an "80mm high bituminous round topped road humps" installed. There is no need whatsoever for these. One is to be located directly outside my house. This will:
a) remove the possibility of putting a driveway in in the future removing the possibility of improving the parking situation.
b) make roadside parking even more difficult than it already is.
c) cause damage to springs after repeated use as I have no alternative route to avoid this hump.
d) increase noise pollution from people negotiating the hump.
e) I sound like an old battleaxe but I just don't think these are necessary. It would be sufficient to 20mph sign the road.

Please help. Any reasonable arguments gratefully received. Not to mention any examples of people who fought and won.

Thank you very very much.
HELP - action against speed bumps? - Flat in Fifth
"Not to mention any examples of people who fought and won."

take a look at this old thread

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=54...7

then implement your right to a parish poll, then get campaigning.
speed bumps - kate
**Does anybody know of any case where residents have campaigned against speed bumps - and won?**

The 30MPH spine road neighbouring my road houses a boys secondary school c 1800 pupils. At the end of this road a second secondary school for girls is under construction due to house a similar number of girls (picture the scene?!!).

The local council is, quite correctly, reclassifying all roads in the vicinity as 20MPH. It is accompanying this with an inordinate number of "75mm high mastic asphalt flat topped speed cushions" and "80mm high bituminous round topped road humps" not to mention a couple of unspecified "junction tables" and "plateaus".

To spine road is wide with cars parked along either side during the day leaving still sufficient space for two lorries to comfortably pass whilst travelling (if safe to do so outside school start and end times) at the maximum 30Mph.

My road is U shaped adjoing the spine road at each end of the U. The U circumnavigates one proposed "75mm high mastic asphalt flat topped speed cushion". Each side of the U houses about 10-20 houses per side. There is sufficient width for two cars to pass comfortably at speeds lower than 30Mph if there are no parked cars. All houses are 1930's 3 bed semi and quite a lot have retro-installed a one-small-car-driveway in the front garden. Few are sufficiently spaced to house a shared driveway between houses.

The average number of cars/vans per household is nearer 2 than 1. Consequently cars are parked on both sides of the road although part mounted on teh pavement on one side. It is IMPOSSIBLE for even a boy racer to negotiate the entire length of the road at speeds of anything more than 15mph - even during the day. Children play in the street on the flat bit of the "U" (inspite of all houses having decent size gardens and the boys schools playing fields being open to the public) and they tend to be quite careful and polite moving out of the way as cars pass.

So what is my objection? Each of the three sides of the U are to have an "80mm high bituminous round topped road humps" installed. There is no need whatsoever for these. One is to be located directly outside my house. This will:
a) remove the possibility of putting a driveway in in the future removing the possibility of improving the parking situation.
c) cause damage to springs after repeated use as I have no alternative route to avoid this hump.
e) I sound like an old battleaxe but I just don't think these are necessary. It would be sufficient to 20mph sign the road.

Please help. Any reasonable arguments gratefully received. Not to mention any examples of people who fought and won.

speed bumps - help... - kate

speed bumps - help... - Dwight Van Driver
Kate

LA look at such schemes and follow guidlines/criteria from Dpt of Transport which are outlined in Circular Roads. One in particular is Circular Roads 4/96 which outlines 20mph/Humps.

Using the key word - "Circular Roads - Road Humps" will bring up a plethora of bits and pieces from which you may glean something.

DVD
speed bumps - help... - volvoman
If you knock on a few doors locally you might find you have quite a few allies in neighbouring streets which are likely to become 'alternative' routes for those who want to avoid the humps. I did just this a few years ago when a major (and largely unjustified) scheme was planned not far from here and found that people in streets on the periphery of the scheme had not been informed about it by the Council and were extremely upset when they found out. The Council denied there'd be any knock on effects from the road humps but we knew different and the uproar created by people whose streets were likely to inherit the traffic problems was a major factor in our success in getting the scheme much slimmed down. Council's like to pretend they consult people widely but IMO they don't and they rely only a combination of public apathy and ignorance to 'drive' through schemes like this and once the humps are down you ain't likely to get them removed in a hurry !

We are currently fighting a major controlled parking exercise the Council here has come up with on the basis that it will simply shift parking problems from streets close to the town centre (whose occupiers presumably bought them to enjoy all the amenities but have now decided they don't like people parking in their streets) to residential roads further away whose occupiers bought houses there to be further away from the town centre and its associated problems. We really don't see the logic in the exercise and feel that it's very unfair !

The key to success is educating people about what's happening, explaining the problems they're likely to suffer and getting them to COMPLAIN as loud as possible direct to the Council, via their local councillors and the local press.

Hopefully you'll then be able to get the scheme modified to provide the traffic calming that's required but without the sort of overkill that's often a feature of such schemes.

Good luck !
speed bumps - help... - paulbounty
hi kate, I am disabled and these speed ramps cause me pain in my
back every time I drive over one,if you have any disabled living
in your road you could use this as a reason for not having speed
ramps.
speed bumps - help... - Tom Shaw
Perhaps it may be worth writing to your council and asking them what plans they or their insurers have for dealing with claims for injury or damage caused by the humps, should for a example a motorcyclist come off whilst negotiating one on a wet or icy road.

Might be worth a try, as local authorities are very nervous about the modern cult of ambulance chasing solicitors.
speed bumps - help... - volvoman
We tried that too Tom and got the distinct impression that the Coucnil could'nt give a stuff about that, after all they're spending our money not theirs !

IMHO councils only get away with suspect traffic calming schemes because of public apathy and ignorance - the same apathy that leads 60-80% of people not to vote in local elections.

Expose dubious schemes for what they really are, publicise the vast costs and the adverse knock-on effects in surrounding areas and you've a chance to stop it happening or get it scaled down. Leave it to someone else and you'll be cursing those humps sooner rather than later ! We spent many, many hours knocking on doors, talking to people and ditsributing leaflets and it worked.
speed bumps - Rob C
I would suggest you print off your argument, attach a petition and doorstep every house, then send that back to the council with their form.

Surely it would be cheaper to put two speed cameras on this spine road, rather than all those humps. After all, nobody objects to cameras outside schools.
Kate, a couple of "longshots":

1. ask the council to put in writing (some hope!) that emergency services will not be slowed should they need to travel down your road;
2. Ask the council to put in writing that the "thumping" of cars over these humps will not damage the foundations of your house (it has been known).