vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - buckie

I live on a slight hill and as soon as a decent fall of snow arrives I have great difficulty getting onto my drive due to tracton loss.

The adaption to the vehicle involves a lowered floor with a spring loaded ramp which is some 500mm behind the rear axile.

The VW is automatic with ESC.

The existing wheels are 6J 16 steel with tyres 205/55/ R16 94 H

I am conidering fitting winter tyres but not sure of tyre size nor pressure

Q1 would I be better fitting a narrower higher profile tyre say 195 65 R16 .

Q2 would I need to fit all 4 tyres or just the front 2

Q3 would I be better buying tyres and wheels for easier exchange

Q4 would I be better turning of the ESC

vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - oldtoffee

No, 195/55/16 maybe or smaller diameter wheels with 195/65/15 tyres but best stay original sizes.

2 tyres good 4 tyres better especially if driving round corners or occasionally applying brakes.

Maybe. £40 to swap winter for summer tyres so £80 a year. Wheels maybe £100 to £200?? Maths issue.

What as an alternative to some or all of the above? No.

vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - Sofa Spud

We have a Touran, upon which the Caddy Maxi Life is based, and have found it surprisingly good in slippery conditions, with very good traction.

I can think of two possibilities.

1) The Caddy Maxi Life is probably has a different weight distribution to the Touran, because of the longer, bulkier body, so has less % of its weight on the front wheels.

2) Tyres. The tread pattern can make a huge difference. I've observed that cars with those high-performance tyres with swirly tread patterns seem to have more trouble in snow and ice.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 09/01/2011 at 10:47

vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - Brit_in_Germany

Our S-Max is fitted with Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyres which although not as good as true Winter tyres do give better traction in snow than standard tyres. The advantage of having 4 Season tyres is that there is no need to change them between Summer and Winter. Economy and braking distance in dry conditions are worse but since we do not cover high mileages or drive that fast, the downside to us is acceptable.

vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - Coke&Olives

I live on a slight hill and as soon as a decent fall of snow arrives I have great difficulty getting onto my drive due to tracton loss.

The adaption to the vehicle involves a lowered floor with a spring loaded ramp which is some 500mm behind the rear axile.

The VW is automatic with ESC.

The existing wheels are 6J 16 steel with tyres 205/55/ R16 94 H

I am conidering fitting winter tyres but not sure of tyre size nor pressure

I looked on the ADAC website and decided to get some Continental TS830 fitted on a Golf estate, the tyres are the same size as your Caddy, I live in the Yorkshire dales (one in five gradients and untreated roads) the tyres I think were about £80 each and are well worth it, you notice the extra grip even at 5c in the dry compared to the fitted summer tyres. The best thing about them is the improvement in stopping distances though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/camerarepublic/sets/72157626492701100/with/5465865884/

Edited by Coke&Olives on 03/06/2011 at 08:27

vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - oldtoffee

Definitely all 4 wheels, check out youtube for videos of cars with only two winter tyres on. I'd go for a second set of wheels, one inch smaller diameter and the higher profile 195/65 tyres and let your insurance company know. Mytyres dot co dot uk have some good priced premium brands winter tyres on brand new steel wheels on offer now at around £100 each (will be more expensive and harder to obtain in the late autumn when everyone starts buying in anger.) If you'd consider the slightly more expensive Michelin Alpin A4, Michelin will give you £40 of Sainsburys vouchers (to July 31st) which is probably what I'm going to do as I reckon I could get an extra winter out of them over Dunlop or Conti (both v good) equivalents.

vw caddy maxi life - Winter motoring - gordonbennet

I second BiG above, run your present set through this summer and fit a set of quality all season tyres when the winter arrives, straight replacements.

BiG recommends Goodyears, there are others and Vredestein is well respected in this sector with Quatrac 2 or 3.

Whichever type of tyre you want, do your research and make a shortlist, then keep your eyes peeled on the many good sites (we can help with those if needed) or indeed try your local indy....my best winter bargains have been bought in the summer months, if you leave it till winter you'll pay dearly.