ford mondeo - using water - sparky b

Hello my ford mondeo is using water ,and i have to refill the header tank every fortnite to 3 weeks,ive looked in the oil chamber and their is no sign of water getting in there ,i have no leak as ive checked the floor ,and ive checked the hoses and there is no damaged ones ,but in the cold weather it seems a little sluggish untill ive gone a few miles ,it doesnt pull very well ,but it starts first time ,i have noticed when i turn the key to the first notch i hear a rush of water like a glugging sound then i turn the engine and all is fine ,i havent noticed any smoke out the exhaust so its a little baffling as to where it is going ,could this be the start of head gasket trouble hmmm im not sure ..my mondeo is a y reg 2001 i think and a 1.7 5 door estate ..apart from that its a great motor ..if it is head gasket trouble how long possibly will it last ..thankyou ..

ford mondeo - using water - Waino

When the head gasket went on my '97 2L petrol Mondeo, it was characterised by a loss of water from the cooling system and a noticeable increase in steam from the exhaust. HG failure was confirmed with a 'pressure test' of the system.

Thanks for your help ,i was hopeing it wasnt gonna be the HG but i will get it checked out thanks again ..

ford mondeo - using water - Peter.N.

If its head gasket leakage it will be blowing the water out of the overflow, if you place a recepticle under the end of the pipe you will be able to moniter it.

cheers for that peter i will monitor it ,and the other thing i might try is to pour a bottle of radweld in to see if that can plug any holes ,it may do the trick in the short term thanks again ..

ford mondeo - using water - injection doc
have a look for the condition of the water pipes above and behind the alternator ! this one often leaks and always gets missed
2nd check the watr pump for gradual loss

Thanks for everyones reply and all your help the problem has now been resolved ,after noticing the loss of water , i asked around to what could be the course ,and alot of people said that the HG was the lilkely course so i set about checking for all the symptoms as well as all the hoses ,given the age of the car and 97000 miles clocked HG was the number one suspect ,having none of the usual symptoms i thought i would come to this amazing site ,and to say that the problem lay with the thermostat housing leaking ,..

Anyone who has water loss in there motors should not jump to the conclusion that it is HG and to properly have it checked and definatly come here first ,this site is top draw thanks again ...