Vauxhall Astra1.6 club Petrol - starting troubles - scottydog2304

i am having trouble starting in the morning, it is clicking and the lights on the dash go dimmer, after about 6-8 times of this happening it starts and runs fine, i havediscovered that i have had a leak in the rad but have resolved this, the starting prob continues, i have thought of solenoid or starter motor issues but would appreciate any help as i have lost my job due to recession and cant afford the charges that dealers issue to diagnostic check. please help

scott

Vauxhall Astra1.6 club Petrol - starting troubles - elekie&a/c doctor

Get the battery tested before anything else.hth

I will do that, thanks

would that be something that would stop the engine turning over but then remedy itself after 7 or 8 times and then turn it over?

i will try kwikfit tomorrow

many thanks

Vauxhall Astra1.6 club Petrol - starting troubles - Vitesse6

Check the cable connections to the solenoid/starter motor and battery - if you can, take them off and clean them up especially if there is any corrosion present, apply a thin smear of vaseline and do them up again.

Make sure someone doesn't try and sell you a battery if you don't need one. if you have a friendly auto electricians in the area you may get a more unbiased opinion.

thankyou

I will do that tomorrow, need to find out where the solenoid and starter are positioned in the engine compartment.