Shell vs supermarket - blank
I don't intend to cause regurgitation of a lot of ill-informed arguments, but I think an observation of mine is worth sharing.
Recently I have been attempting to use Shell diesel when possible, but the last 4 times I have filled my Polo have been twice from the Shell station and twice at Tesco.
Both times at Tesco I have noticed the fuel markedly more frothy and difficult to get brimmed full (to measure fuel consumption - anally retentive I know...)

I was wondering what information this gives on the content of surfactants to help keep the engine clean??

Shell vs supermarket - Simon Templar

I predominantly use tesco diesel but have not noticed the frothing at all.There is always Millers present in the residual
fuel in the tank.

Simon T.
Shell vs supermarket - Godfrey H {P}
Diesel fuel contains anti-foaming agent. It would appear that the Shell anti-foaming agent is more effective than the one used by Tesco.
Shell vs supermarket - Jon Cunningham-Smith
I agree with Godfrey H,

I use BP, Tesco and Sainsbury's City Diesel.

BP - Not frothy, fills up the tank in a flash.

Sainsbury's and Tesco, quite frothy and takes longer to fill.

I guess BP and in this case, Shell have a better additives package.

As a long time reader of Diesel car, I can't imagine one to be more efficient than the other.

You need to go to France and fill up there to get better diesel performance wise. French diesel has more sulphur, we already conform with the tight Euro standards for 2004 Diesel wise.

French Diesel will give more smoke, but slightly enhanced performance. It's a direct trade-off.

Cheers - Jon S