BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - smallinson

I've had my 320d M Sport for nearly three years now, done 45k miles and I've found its handling superb - until recently. Now it's become hard work on long journeys and very difficult to describe why, although my wife has also commented that all is not well. While it doesn't obviously pull to one side or the other, on bumpy roads it seems to take a lot of work to keep the car going straight. It's as if when the wheels are knocked off centre by a bump, they don't want to go back to centre again. The sensation is that the car lurches about but with no obvious effect on smooth roads. The dealer has visually examined the suspension and steering, done a drive test and come up with nothing. I'm going to get the tracking tested by an independent (BMW want a small fortune just to check it), but has anyone got any ideas? The suggestion I heard recently was a faulty steering sensor but I'm not sure what sensor that would be.

BMW 320d Touring E91 E46 - Steering/handling problem - iamthewalrus1980

I have the same prob. car drives ok on a flat road but when i go over a pot hole or even a raised white line it pulls to the left. I have had the tracking done, tires checked and also the front left bushes but still have the same problem. The garage i have used said its just a process of elimiation till they find the prob which there were alot of parts to change when he listed them, more money. No one seems to be able to sort this problem and there seems to be a trend with these 320d cars there are loads on the net with the same probs. I'm driving the SE with 58500 miles on a 52 plate with full service history. In the process of selling, only had the car 6 months. Also the turbo went on mine 3 months ago cost a nice £1250 to fix. Another common problem with this type of car as i can see from the internet. Wont be buying another. Sorry not solved your prob i've been checking for months for an answer.

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - Steven Quas

It does sound very much like a front suspension problem, probably the shock absorbers. In the old days you could test the shocks by pressing down hard on one side and see how quickly the car stops bouncing, but the M Sport suspension is so firm that you won't get much movement. I know your garage has had a look, but they don't always get it right. If it isn't the front shocks then have you just changed the front tyres to a different type, or are they too worn?

Steven Quas , Hamburg

Edited by Steven Quas on 16/01/2011 at 12:47

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - Peter.N.

You haven't fitted low profile tyres have you?

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - Steven Quas

You haven't fitted low profile tyres have you?

The M Sport models do come with very low profile tyres from the factory.

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - gordonbennet
If you haven't changed tyres to something best avoided, it sounds like the front suspension bushes are getting worn.

Simple test, car parked and handbrake on...apply forward/backward pressure to each front tyre as if you are trying to push the car...any excessive play will show itself as the tyre will move noticeably in the wheel arch where with good bushes it won't.

The mileage sounds about right for this.
BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - greenmidget

I have had the same problem with my 320d SE. The steering is twitchy at low speeds over uneven surfaces.

However, when I changed to new alloys and winter tyres last November , the problem went away! The ride was perfect and no twitches.

BUT when I recently replaced the "summer" tyres and wheels, the steering has become twitchy again.

Has anybody any idea? I have no skills or knowledge about cars - just drive one. So any help appreciated.

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - RobJP

What wheel/tyre sizes on the winters as opposed to the summers ? What age is the car ? That would be very helpful

The car is 60 reg. - about three and a half years old. 35000 on the clock.

Summer wheels are 225/45 r17

Winter ones are higher profile - 55 - but can't remember the width. My winter tyres are stored by dealer.

The front summer tyres are getting close to the legal limit so I am replacing them tomorrow!

I suspect the winter tyres are higher profile and smaller basic size than the summer set, eg 205/55 x 16 as against 17, 18 or 19" summers?...whats sizes and tyre types are we considering here.

Assuming your summer tyres are in good condition and of a decent make and type, then its possible the suspension bushes could do with looking at and/or the wheel alignment is slightly out....worn bushes allow the front wheels to toe out slightly anyway due to drag as speed increases, exacerbated by grippier wide low profile tyres which drag more than narrow higher profiled tyres.

Winter tyres are often criticised by some people for doing exactly what you've noticed and enjoyed, due to their soft rubber and flexible block style tread pattern.

You're on summer run flats too i suppose so harder again than normal tyres.

edit...we're thunking along the same lines Rob, you should be worried..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/04/2014 at 12:31

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - skidpan

My 118D had 205 50 17 runflats on during the summer and 205 55 16 non run flats on during the winter. Other than the better ride on the non run flat winter tyres there was no difference to the handling or charisteristics of the car.

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - RobJP

To be fair, the 1 series is a totally different animal to the 3 series estate when it comes to different wheel/tyre combinations affecting the ride quality in one way or another. When my wife was buying her 118d she drove them with 16, 17, 18 and even 19" wheels on, and only the 19s were any different. The other 3 had minimal or no variation in road noise or comfort level (she bought the car with the 16s, as it 'looked prettier', she said). The 3 touring has a lot firmer back-end suspension setup and, especially in the E91 variants, always seemed very susceptible to small differences in wheels and tyres.

BMW 320d Touring E91 - Steering/handling problem - skidpan

To be fair, the 1 series is a totally different animal to the 3 series estate when it comes to different wheel/tyre combinations affecting the ride quality in one way or another. When my wife was buying her 118d she drove them with 16, 17, 18 and even 19" wheels on, and only the 19s were any different.

Sorry but have to disagree with you. When we bought the 118D we tried it with 16", 17" and 18" wheels and also a car with m sport suspension and 17" wheels. The car fitted with 16" whhels was the best, the car fitted with 18" the worst (by a large dgree). We bought the car with 17" wheels because the package offered (the Edition Pack) was the best combination for us and we felt that the 17" wheels with standard suspension gave an acceptable ride (way better than the Honda Civic we tried on 17" wheels).

I note this was another of the many Bermuda Triangle OP's, OP vanished without trace.

I bought new Bridgestone runflats - and the problem persists!

Then, at great expense, I got the RAC to do an independent inspection - the kind they will do when you are buying a car.

The report showed that there is no problem with the steering or suspension, BUT, to my relief (considering that I thought I was going mad) the inspector agreed with me that at low speed on uneven surfaces, the steering is a bit twitchy. He explained the problem as "tramlining" but said there is nothing to be alarmed about - it is just in the nature of the tyres. I never thought I would look forward to the return of winter to get back to my softer tyres and a twitch-free ride!