Peugeot 307 1.6 D - Engine Knowcking Noise afer Snow - ColW

Our Peugeot has been stuck in snow for a few days and when I finally drove it out (over some compact snow) it has started making a knocking (big-endy) type noise from the rear.

All I can add is that the frequency of the knocking increases with speed and disappears under road noise above about 30-40mph. Also, weirdly to me, at lower, noisier speeds, if I compress the brake the noise disappears immediately, i.e. before I have really decreased in speed at all.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Col

Peugeot 307 1.6 D - Engine Knowcking Noise afer Snow - Rich320d

I expect you have some lumps of frozen ice/snow trapped in the back wheels or brakes, causing this knocking.

Short of getting it in a heated grage, I expect it will continue until it wears away or the temps increase and it melts.

I had snow frozen in my back wheels once, after I had been doing hand brake turns in the snow, it caused wheel imbalance, the whole back of the car vibrated., until I knocked it out with a stick.

Peugeot 307 1.6 D - Engine Knowcking Noise afer Snow - Collos25

Could have broken an exhaust mounting bracket.

Peugeot 307 1.6 D - Engine Knowcking Noise afer Snow - ColW

Just got round to looking at this.

My back right brake disc does not turn when the alloy turns! Left is OK.

O dear, wheel nuts seem seized a bit too so I'll get it inside and do it properly. Anyone familiar with the car can tell me what bits to order? bearing?

Thanks, Col

Peugeot 307 1.6 D - Engine Knowcking Noise afer Snow - madf

Physically impossible. Studs holding on wheels go through disc hub.

Peugeot 307 1.6 D - Engine Knowcking Noise afer Snow - galileo

Physically impossible. Studs holding on wheels go through disc hub.

Unless there's a circular crack round the disc hub?