Cavalier Elec Windows - mike harvey
I have a 1990 Cav 1.6L with elec front windows which have developed a mind of their own, ie they close themselves at random. Sometimes both will close concurrently, sometimes independently. I'm quite handy at electrical diagnostics, so i'm after a quick pointer in the right direction please, to save me from stripping the whole electrics out. I think some models had automatic closing on the deadlock, but I don't think mine has this. If it does, it hasn't worked since I've had the car.
Thanks,
Mike
Re: Cavalier Elec Windows auto close - Stuart Bruce
I had an 89 Cavalier 1.6 (but GL) which had auto closing, I thought all electric windows on Cavaliers this vintage had this. Its not when you deadlock it, you have to lock the car and hold the key in the locked position against spring pressure. Vectra still has this system to this day.
Sorry cannot be more help.
Re: Cavalier Elec Windows auto close - mike harvey
Stuart,
Thanks a lot. Perhaps it's because it's never worked that's where the fault is. Looks like limiting my search to the drivers door lock then!
regards
Mike
Re: Cavalier Elec Windows auto close - Ian Aspinall
If the auto-close facility doesn't work, it's more than likely because it needs reprogramming after the battery has been disconnected at some point. To do this, hold the switches in the 'close' position for 5 seconds with the windows already fully closed. This also reprograms the one-touch operation. Dunno if this will solve your particular problem with the windows having a mind of their own, Mike, but it's worth a stab.
Re: Fixed it - mike harvey
Dodgy micro switch on the back of the drivers door lock.It works fine now. Thanks for assistance.
Mike Harvey