Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? - Dazl1212

Hi I have just had my Gold 1.9d wrote off by a guy in a land rover!! I have seen a 25 Diesel for sale on decent mileage and cheap. I know the petrol’s are poor reliability wise. What are the diesels like reliability wise? The Golf was reliable and that was 15 years old. I wouldn’t get another as it was really slow. I believe they are coa*** but that doesn’t bother me as they are pretty quick and have decent MPG figures. I don’t want people telling me I should get £5k together and get a Golf etc as I have not got that kind of money.

Edited by Dazl1212 on 15/12/2010 at 10:36

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? - Gordon17

We had a 200 Diesel for 10 years from new until about this time last year. I think it had about 85,000 miles on it when we got rid of it and it had been 100% reliable, needing only wear and tear parts. It was a pleasant enough drive, but definitely smaller inside than a Golf - more like the size of a Polo. I always thought these were good cars, but a bit over priced as Rover seemed to be selling the 200/25 as a Golf/Focus competitor when it was really a Polo/Fiesta class car. My only concern with buying one now is whether the parts will continue to be available.

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? or other cheap reasonable diesel suggestions! - Dazl1212
Other possibilities are Vectra DTI, Bravo JTD and 306 HDI relibility is the main issue really as I cant afford to miss work too much......

Edited by Dazl1212 on 15/12/2010 at 16:13

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? or other cheap reasonable diesel suggestions! - SteveLee
The L-series rover diesel is an efficient and robust engine, they are generally very reliable unless they've been abused through lack of servicing, head gaskets can go if the car has been run extensively without antifreeze. If the car is sound and you change the oil twice a year they can clock up stratospheric mileages.
Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? or other cheap reasonable diesel suggestions! - 659FBE

I was involved in the development of a version of this engine - via a third party.

Good: Specific fuel consumption, life (including cambelt), cold starting.

Bad: Noise, roughness, smoke, slight crank weakness (no consequence in a car application), limited power output.

I would suggest that this is an efficient and servicable engine for basic transport needs - but would be better used in a generator set.

I would have far more reservations about the vehicle you propose to buy with it - dubious engineering background and no spares support for starters.

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? or other cheap reasonable diesel suggestions! - mrnikko

Plenty old diesel Rovers up here in the north with high mileages on them. Friend of mine who is a signal man on the railway has one of these now looking at 135,000 on clock he needs his car to get to work often early morning and late at night and in remote areas and he is happy with his car. Spares do not seem to be a problem is that what X part were set up to do.

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? or other cheap reasonable diesel suggestions! - Dazl1212

Thanks for all the input they sound pretty decent. Any input on the other cars I have mentioned?

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? or other cheap reasonable diesel suggestions! - danidge

Diesel Car magazine circa 2000-2003 were positive about this engine. I recall their approval for reliability, robustness and economy. Also it was a straightforward engine without complex diesel pump, common rail etc.

With regard the 3 other cars you mention I suggest build quality and/or reliability is likely to be an issue with all. None will ever enter the motoring hall of fame. If pushed for a decision I would go for the Vectra.

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? - Frank01

I bought a Rover Streetwise with the 2.0 Litre L series deisel in 2005. We are still enjoying trouble free motoring after 75000 miles. The engine is bombproof and starting on the key every time.

The engine is agricultural and the car is onthe small side. Never had a problem with parts as I have never needed them.

Rover 25 - Rover 25 Diesel any good? - oldroverboy

I had a 45 diesel in 2001 for 2 years, same engine. Forget all the rubbish you are reading about spares. X-part and any dealer who still has access to them can supply most of the bits you are liable to need. I invite anyone to do withX-parts to comment on this. When I asked a question of technical support at x part last year about HGF on the k series Mgzt !.8 turbo I was told that if the head was in tolerance and the water pump was changed and new original head bolts were fitted and the work was done by an x-part repairer the work would be warranteed by x-part as normal. Yes Mg/Rover are gone, but spares support is there for most things mechanical except trim.

Try also Rimmers and the MG/Rover forums. If you are near Bristol Wilcox in wickwar will be helpful and they've also got various cars.If the price is right and the condition ok get it, just insist on a new mot so it will just have had a smoke test.

Happy motoring.