Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - The_Grouch

Hello everyone - first post!

I just bought an 04 Mazda 3, and whilst checking it over noticed that the rear wheel arches have a 'felt' liner on the outside - like the stuff the inside of the boot is made out of. Is this normal/typical? Seems to me that this sort of stuff will get wet with spray from the wheel and stay damp and maybe increase corrosion? Anyone else have these on their car? Any ideas on something I could maybe coat them with?

Cheers!

Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - Dutchie

Hello Grough.

I have the same on our Ford Focus the rear wheelarchers have like a kind of felt liner.I have never thought about it its a six month old car. It must be designed to do the job.Your car is six years you could take the liner out.Check the wheel archers put a coat of Hammerite or a Bitumen protective coat on the archers and the put the protective felt back on.I think the wheelarchers will be fine.

Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - Collos25

I think you will find its different material one of its features is that its texture is designed to stop spray plus its cheaper than plastic.

If it was the same material as the boot lining it would last about a week if that.

Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - The_Grouch

Thanks for the reassurance guys. It just doesn't look like a very weather resistant material that is all! Its getting a good soak with all the snow around at the mo, so I will keep an eye on how well it dries out etc.

Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - Roly93

Hello Grough.

I have the same on our Ford Focus the rear wheelarchers have like a kind of felt liner.I have never thought about it its a six month old car.

The Mazda 3 is a Focus basically isn't it ?

My Audi A4 has this same sort of felt liner on the rear arches.

Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - Dutchie

We are all happy Roly.

Mazda 3 - 'Felt' Wheel arch liners - turbo11

My wifes 07 Mazda 3 has the same. I have noticed that they dry quickly after getting wet, and they stay fairly clean(unlike the black plastic liners) as I clean under the wheelarches regularly. They obviously do the job ok as yours is 6 years old.