Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - Roly93

Okay gents.

I'm thinking of swapping my 4 year old A4 Avant for something newer in 2011.

I'm looking either at another A4 Avant B8 shape or possible a 3 series touring with the 2 litre diesel lump. The 3 series touring are now significantly cheaper because I think there is a facelifted 3 series on the way for 2011.

However the new A4 is much improved and a really nice car too, plus my current Audi has been trouble free.

To my mind the pros and cons are that the BMW is perhaps a slightly better drive, but the downside is those stupid run-flat tyres and a more cramped interior. The Audi will also remain a newer model for longer, but is £2K more.

Opinions please...and no saying buy Japanese please !

Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - Collos25

Before buying a 3 series or any BMW diesel look on one of the BMW forums and look for swirl flaps,these small units built into the inlet manifold have the power to destroy engines when they disintregate,they are best removed and blanking plates fitted.BMW have regonised this as a major problem but be aware of it before you chose. Effects vehicles from 2000 to around 2007 but reports of failure on newer vehicles is being reported as the modified swirl flaps are not much better than the old ones.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 29/11/2010 at 19:31

Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - howmuchlonga!
Usual BMW crap!
Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - Avant

Roly - the only answer is to see which you prefer by means of a long test drive in each. I so wanted to like the 3-series (320d Touring - same as the one you're looking at) but:

(a) I didn't like the notchy manual gearchange, and the automatic kept making me think of the performance that I was missing;

(b) I'm 5' 7" with an average sized body but shortish legs, and I just couldn't find a comfortable driving position: to depress the clutch fully I was too near the steering wheel. (It's the same in my old Z3, but this is a fun car and it doesn't seem to matter as much as it would in an everyday car).

Also, it depends on your style of driving: a BMW is at is best when pushed, whereas an Audi suits a more relaxed style of driving. Of the two I'd have the Audi (although I'd look closely at the offset pedals on the new model which road testers keep complaining about) - but I can't resist mentioning that my Octavia estate with the 2.0 TDI engine as in the A4 is £7,000 cheaper. I love Audis but I couldn't afford another 2.5 TDI (2.7 now) and for the 2.0 I just couldn't justify the extra cost.

Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - leaseman

I've had more calls than I can count this week from BMW drivers wanting to exchange for anything we can provide in a hurry, once they have experienced a few inches of snow and how the BMW (or the driver) handles those consequent adverse conditions!

Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - AKD

If you can, wait for the next 3-series touring to come out before making a decision. If that's not possible, then, as others have said, it is down to personal opinion. I have always preferred BMWs, and have owned a 320d touring in the past - however that was an e46, without run flat tyres. The Audi has a nicer interior and would be better in the snow, although I always managed in the BMW. On the subject of run-flats, everybody is quick to say that they are terrible, and most of the time they are. However, I know someone who got a puncture, late at night, on a country road. Run-flat tyres allowed them to get home safely. After being in that kind of situation, most people would be pleased with the fact that BMWs have run-flats.

Audi A4 Avant - New car A4 Avant or 3 series touring - diesels - daveyjp
Appreciating run flat tyres is just one aspect of the BMW a friend has a 5 series with RF tyres - it's had over £2,000 worth in just over two years - both punctures and uneven wear problems. His company will now no longer have a BMW on their list if it has RF tyres.

A runflat will get you home if it punctures, but a puncture means £200 for a new tyre as opposed to £10 for a repair.
A runflat will get you home if it punctures, but a puncture means £200 for a new tyre as opposed to £10 for a repair.

I think theer are just too many downsides to runflat tyres to justify them. For instance, they might get you home, but what if yopu get a puncture on a Sunday afternoon in deepest France 150 miles from anywhere major, you'd be stuffed.

A spare would triumph over a run flat any day in this sort of circumstance, and thats before yo start talking about ride or innability to repair them and higher cost.

Why do so few other manufacturers push them ?

If you can, wait for the next 3-series touring to come out before making a decision. If that's not possible, then, as others have said, it is down to personal opinion.

Trouble is, that if I do this then the equivalent BMW will be the same price or dearer than the current model of A4 Avant and the argument goes away. As I'm not looking to buy brand new, the new Beemer would not be available to me till late 2011, which is the wrong timeframe..