Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - anglospider

A rear wheel bearing failed on my July 2007 Santa Fe diesel auto at about 63,000 miles earlier this year. It was replaced without fuss under warranty.
At 72,000 miles the other side is failing and this time the dealer tells me that Hyundai have changed their terms and that this sort of "wear and tear" item is not covered after 60,000 miles. It will therefore cost me £350 to have it fixed.

I bought the Hyundai partly on the basis of its unlimited mileage warranty so am pretty unhappy about this. I have the car serviced regularly by the dealer, at the specified mileages.

Can Hyundai just change a warranty mid-term like this?
Is £350 (this includes the part at £199) to replace a wheel bearing reasonable?

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Dutchie

Hyunda should have replaced both wheel bearings in my opinion,the other one was bound to go,

They gave you a warranty and changed this mid term.Do you still own any money on the car?

If you did I would be tempted to say oh I changed my mind can't pay you anymore.

£199 Is a lot of money for a wheel bearing maybe a indy could do a cheaper job for you.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Collos25

Doesn´ t suprise me surely they have changed the sales contract on which you bought it.

199 ukp for a wheelbearing they know how to charge.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - anglospider

Thanks for the comments which echo what others have said. I now need to find a copy of the original warranty as I only have a verbal comment from the guy at the dealer to say that the warranty has actually changed since I bought the car.

If I can get hold of the original and it definitely has no mileage restrictions on the bearings then yes, I will have a very strong case.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - boggles

I am not familiar with the mechanics of a Santa FE, but some vehicles have bearings that cannot be changed. Instead, you have to fit an assembly, like a rear hub with bearings built in, and a brake drum on some types. I suppose 199 in that case would be acceptable. But, separate bearings should cost no more than 50 at most, if there is two in the hub. Then they want another 150 (My pound key is broken!!) to do the work. That sounds way over the odds. This sort of work on a land rover type, is cheap enough, can't see the Santa Fe being much more complicated.

...to do the work. That sounds way over the odds. This sort of work on a land rover type, is cheap enough, can't see the Santa Fe being much more complicated

My local independent reckons he would do it much cheaper than Hyundai. If I can't persuade Hyundai to do it under warranty then I will use my local guy. And probably carry on using him for servicing, instead of Hyundai, if there is no advantage in terms of access to the warranty.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Avant

Look very carefully at the terms and conditions of your original warranty. They can't change the terms unless they said at the outset that they reserved the right to do so.

Even then, if that clause was so far down in the small print, you might have a case if a court thought that a reasonable person would not have seen it.

Unfortunately I don't have the full warranty to look at. I have the original sales brochure which clearly boasts of the "unlimited mileage" warranty and makes no mention of any exclusions.

I have spoken to Hyundai UK customer services just now and they tell me that the the limit, as described in the service book, is 2 years for "wear and tear" items such as wheel bearings! Of course you don't get the service book until AFTER you have bought the car...

An average mileage motorist might find Hyundai refusing a claim for wheel bearings failing at just 20,000 miles on this basis.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - gordonbennet

I suggest you put the problem in writing to Hyundai customer services general manager inviting his comments about this variation in warranty conditions and the fact it would appear that parts like wheel bearings are only expected to last 2 years.

Maybe a mention that copies will be forwarded to HonestJohn.

This is so contrary to my lengthy conversation with a Terracan owner in particular whose vehicle was durable to the nth degree, and indeed does seem at odds with other reports of Hyundai's warranty honour.

As to price of the parts it doesn't surprise me, a pal had to replace a rear wheel bearing on his mk1 Yaris which turns out to be sealed as part of the complete rear hub at £225ish a side for the genuine part or £170?ish for a pattern part..prices roughly correct but make allowance for my poor memory.

Thanks Gordonbennet. Yes, it does appear to be a unit, like the Yaris you mention. And there is an ABS sensor which may come out of the old one intact but may not, so this would have to be replaced.

I share your thoughts about this experience being unusual, my previous experiences regarding warranty have been fine. But the mileage/age of the vehicle (72,600m and 3.5 years) should not be blocking the claim - the unlimited mileage 5 year warranty was precisely the reason I switched to Hyundai from Nissan, after problems with an X-Trail just outside the less generous Nissan warranty period.

I have written to the Hyundai M.D. so will see what response I get from him.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Robin the Technician

Hi,

I think Hyundai are trying to pull the wool over your eves here. If you have a brochure for the car which stated unlimited mileage warranty then they cannot change those terms without notifying you and you agreeing to it. Trading Standards would have a field day if manufacturers did that. Also, Hyundai refer to the failure as 'wear and tear' - was a specific list of wear and tear exclusions provided with your warranty documentation? I doubt it!!!!. Most wear and tear items refer to brakes, exhaust, tyres etc - NOT wheel bearings. As they are sealed you can't make any adjustments to prevent a failure, nor are you able to lubricate them. I suggest you ask Trading Standards for clarification and guidance. Even if Hyundai won't budge they should at least make a hefty contribution towards the repair.

And there I was considering a Hyundai estate.......oh well, back to looking at Peugeots instead.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Roly93

Can Hyundai just change a warranty mid-term like this?
Is £350 (this includes the part at £199) to replace a wheel bearing reasonable?

Wow £199 for a wheel bearing, what is it made from, diamond embossed platinum !!

Thats pricey even by Audi/Mercedes standards, Iwould just get the part and get an indie to replace it if you can't get them to back down on the warranty. Although from a legal standpoint they are on dodgey ground, as I have nevber heard of a contract (ie you signing up to buy the car with an existing unlimited mileage clause) then suddenly being changed med-term !

Whatever next, the vendor of your house asking you to pay more than when you exchanged because he wants to revise the contract of sale perhaps !

I could never see how such a long term contract on something like a car could pan out to be honest.

It is a sealed unit which partly explains the cost. I have posted the following latest update on the Hyundai Owners site this morning:

The latest in the saga is that I phoned Hyundai UK on Friday as they hadn't called me back. I left a message and the person I had originally spoken to then did call me back. He told me he had called CMC Harlow and instructed them that they could take the car in to inspect the bearing and, if it was shown to be faulty, it would be replaced under warranty. If not, I would be liable for the costs.
I questioned how the dealer would determine that the bearing was faulty - I don't believe that they have research facilities there. The customer services guy couldn't answer that.
Anyway, I called CMC this morning and asked them the same question. They would have to get the bearing off and, as it is a sealed unit, would probably have to send it off to Hyundai for investigation. So, it appears that I will have to pay "for the inspection/investigation" and then hope that the bearing will be recognised as faulty.

I have explained to them that:
- I am not prepared to take the risk of not having this covered by warranty and therefore paying over the odds to have it repaired by Hyundai
- I have my car booked in to a local garage to have the work done but would cancel that and bring it into Hyundai if they confirm to me that it will definitely be covered by warranty
- If this isn't resolved I will be seriously considering whether it is worth continuing to use Hyundai for regular servicing when it appears to bring no benefits (their mechanics are certainly no better than other garages)

I am waiting for their response...

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Collos25

Anything they give away in warranty they make twofold with the cost of parts and servicing.

Good marketing, terrible customer relation.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Roly93

Anything they give away in warranty they make twofold with the cost of parts and servicing.

Good marketing, terrible customer relation.

Exactly, its not too much of an issue giving you a 7 year warranty if they do all of the servicing/repairs as this will always be way over the odds to pay for the warranty. Personally I think this is pretty transparent sales tactic myself.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - gordonbennet

I'm at a bit of a loss here, i thought the wheel bearing failure was already diagnosed..

Aside from that you might be pre judging Hyundai's decision here, put yourself in their position for a mo.

They do have to go through correct procedures with such things, personally i believe the dealer inspection is purely a formality and Hyundai will honour their failing part.

I might be wrong but i get the feeling this is in danger of becoming adversarial and that won't help.

I'm at a bit of a loss here, i thought the wheel bearing failure was already diagnosed.They do have to go through correct procedures with such things, personally i believe the dealer inspection is purely a formality and Hyundai will honour their failing part.

I might be wrong but i get the feeling this is in danger of becoming adversarial and that won't help.

Hi Gordonbennet, you're right, its not helpful to be confrontational and I have tried to discus this reasonably with Hyundai UK and with the dealer. My initial thought was the same as yours - Hyundai UK were letting the dealer make the decision and it would be a formality.

However, when I rang the dealer they were adamant that they didn't see it this way, that I would have to pay for the work to get the bearing off and look at it, and that, if it was not deemed to be a failure rather than "wear and tear" I would have to pay for the new part and fitting too. As they said they would have to send the bearing back to Hyundai for assessment it means that they are not, in fact, the ones who would be making the decision.

And yes,the bearing failure is diagnosed, the discussion is whether it was a faulty bearing (warranty) or wear and tear (not warranty).

I contrast all of this with my experience with an optician. 10 days ago I sat on my unbreakable titanium framed glasses and broke the unbreakable frame. I assumed that I would have to pay for a new arm and, as it was totally my fault, would have been happy to. Optician said, "they shouldn't break so let us contact the manufacturer, even though they are 2.5 years old and the warranty is 2 years". I got a phone call today, "all fixed under warranty, come and collect them". Guess where I will be going for my next eye test, glasses, sunglasses etc.! And recommending my friends to go..

{{if it was not deemed to be a failure rather than "wear and tear" I would have to pay for the new part and fitting too.}}

Righto AS, that puts things in a different light and i see why you are possibly getting a bit cheesed off with this, sorry i thought it was still at diagnostics stage.

If it's wear and tear then there should be a way of removing the bearing, inspecting and repacking with fresh grease, reassembling, adjusting up and good as new.

Now we know with such things that's fast becoming a thing of the past as we edge ever closer to the throwaway car, your rear bearing will no doubt be sealed for life which to me the man on the Clapham omnibus would mean a decent life expectancy which common sense tells me should be for at least the duration of the warranty period.

If the warranty period is too long and the product not up to it then they'll have to be honest and come back down to 3 years 60k cover like most of the mainstream makers.

As said in posts above, clutches, brakes etc are wear items, what will they say if your mains, big ends and camshaft(s) start rumbling next week....it's wear and tear?

If they don't play ball you'll have to jump up and down and make hells own fuss IMO because you are totally in the right, SWMBO has before now stood outside a shop (opticians;) and explained to customers visiting the shop of the lack of warranty honour....it worked for her even though the shop threatened all sorts before capitulating, what they don't want is the publicity...food for thought?
Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - davmal

If it's wear and tear then there should be a way of removing the bearing, inspecting and repacking with fresh grease, reassembling, adjusting up and good as new.

Rolling element bearings just don't work like that. If there is wear which is now audible, then the bearing is shot. Adding grease is just masking the problem at best, and adding to it at worst.

For peace of mind, have the unit replaced, though it does seem a low mileage for something like that to go on a "4x4". Have the hubs been immersed in water, for instance launching a boat from a slipway?

{{Rolling element bearings just don't work like that. If there is wear which is now audible, then the bearing is shot}}

Is the bearing audible?

if it is then yes i agree it's u/s, if it's just play then why can't a taper bearing be repacked and adjusted up, i've been doing this for years.

{{Rolling element bearings just don't work like that. If there is wear which is now audible, then the bearing is shot}} Is the bearing audible.

Oh yes, very audible! Not so much at low speed but at 60 plus it is very noticeable.

Also, I had 4-wheel alignment check, and the front tracking was adjusted. The tyre place also pointed out that the rear wheel with the shot bearing was out of line by 5mm which is significant (the other one was spot-on).

The car is going in to my independent garage tomorrow to be fixed. I will keep the old bearing and have it inspected. Anyone know where I could get an independent assessment of it?

I had a call from the Hyundai customer service guy again today, presumably as a result of me explaining to the dealer that I had booked the car into an independent garage to have the work done. He admitted that he and the dealer had made a mistake, that the mileage exclusion on my bearings is in fact, 100,000 miles (so this has been presumably reduced since I bought my car as the current warranty terms state 60,000 miles).

Great, I thought, they will just fix it now. But no, they still have to inspect it and, if it is "wear and tear", won't cover it. Unbelievable.

I suggested that as they had warranted it for 100,000 miles they believed that it should last that long and, therefore, if it didn't it must be faulty. No, its not that simple, it is still my risk.

I think the probability is, if I take it to the dealer, it would now be sorted under warranty but Hyundai should just tell me that.

Anyway, the car is booked into my local guy for tomorrow now, he has bought the part and turned away other jobs for tomorrow so I don't want to let him down. I will recoup the costs on reduced servicing bills in the future as I see no reason to stick with the Hyundai dealer network.

The bearing is now fixed at a cost of £199 versus £350 quote for the dealer.

I have the old unit and it is a big lump of a part as it is the hub and bearing in a complete unit, which explains the cost.

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - Talking Hoarse

Thanks for bringing this Hyundai issue to the fore AngloSpider. I will now clarify the warranty on my own i30 diesel auto, as the warranty was a part of the reason I bought the car. Heaven forbid if some bearings inside the gearbox or engine should "wear out" when the car is only a couple of years old.

"Heaven forbid if some bearings inside the gearbox or engine should "wear out" when the car is only a couple of years old."

I don't want to be alarmist, hopefully Hyundai would be less evasive about those. You can see the current list of exclusions and their mileage allowances via this link.

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/owners/5YearWarranty/limitedCoverage/

Hyundai has reduced the mileage on wheel bearings from 100,000 to 60,000 since I bought my car. Maybe they have had too many claims.

I don't know whether they have done the same on the other items as I don't have a full copy of the original warranty. Does anybody have one?

This issue is receiving a fair amount of attention from other Hyundai owners now, as they are naturally concerned about the value of their own warranties.

I have written again to the MD of Hyundai UK as I had no response to my first letter. I have offered him the opportunity to make contact with me to discuss this and to give Hyundai the opportunity to retain a previously loyal customer and, indirectly, reassure other owners and potential owners. I will let you know what, if any, response I get.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

I had a phone call from the M.D. of the dealer last Friday. He expressed his concerns and told me that he would make every effort to ensure that I was not financially out of pocket if I should decide to return as a customer, for future work or for a future car purchase. I asked for this to be quantified but he wouldn't actually commit to "your next service would cost £x instead of £y" . He took my email address to confirm the discussion but I have not heard anything further yet.

As to the M.D. of Hyundai UK, I have not had any acknowledgement of my letters or any attempt to contact me by phone or letter. This is quite unacceptable and really poor customer service. Maybe I am expecting too much but I don't think so. I work in Sales and Marketing and to me the customer is the most important part of the business, I wouldn't dream of ignoring one.

The latest is that one of the front bearings seems to be on its way out now. I have spoken to the local dealer, via the M.D., and they are going to look at it tomorrow. If necessary, they will attempt to replace under the warranty since Hyundai UK customer service have acknowledged that my car does have 100,000 mile wear and tear exclusion.

As an aside, I showed the last failed bearing to my father, a retired Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Whilst I thought it was quite a chunky thing, his view was that it was actually quite insubstantial for a car of this size and weight.

I don't tow or carry heavy loads but a lot of people do as it is a recommended tow car. I imagine that there will be quite a few failures of this type as other Santa Fes reach this mileage.

Many thanks for keeping us up to date on this rather sorry tale.

It's not giving me that warm cosy glow inside as i hear of the MD of Hyundai seems to be too busy or the customer is too unimportant in the grand scheme of things at Customer lack of Service.

We await the next episode of the front wheel bearing AS.
Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - johntr

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my 07 Santa fe. Hyundai customer service are being very unhelpful to say the least! I was just wondering how they agreed it was 100,000 mile warranty on your model as I might be able to quote your case to them. Thanks

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - scooby247

Hmmm, guess what, I have an 07 Santa Fe automatic, with a poorly rear bearing...having completed 59,000 miles will I, wont I have it repaired under warranty?! Any top tips conclusion from previous posts?

Cheers

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - HyundaiOwnersClubAdmin

Go to an independant Hyundai specailist of which I know of only 2 in the country. One is Tiburion Automotive in Birmingham who specializes in Coupes mainly although he does others or myself in Essex who can only work part time on them at the moment as full spec workshops in Essex cost a fortune. You will also find that most Asian warranties are not as good as European ones and the back up is poor. I know this as I have worked for hyundai and Peugeot in the last 7 years and Peugeot back up pee's all over Hyundai's. Also I suspect you will see Hyundai franchises reduce in number as sales drop and garages realize that there warranty labour times are absolutely dire like most Aisian manufacturers

Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel Auto 2007 - Hyundai unlimited mileage warranty NOT unlimited? - csklgpbesk

Did you get this resolved in the end? My rear bearing on my 2007 has gone at 59k and the dealer won't fix under warranty. Like you I don't have the original warranty booklet. Any ideas?

Thanks

chris

Did you get this resolved in the end? My rear bearing on my 2007 has gone at 59k and the dealer won't fix under warranty. Like you I don't have the original warranty booklet. Any ideas?

Thanks

chris

Hi, apologies for late replies on all this, I haven't been checking the thread and there is no alert to new replies. No, I didn't get any joy from Hyundai. The MD at the dealership made sympathetic noises, rang me up to say he hoped I hadn't been put off Hyundai and when I need to change the car please talk to him! So I have since been having servicing done at an independent garage which is much better, half the price and has actually diagnosed issues properly. The front wheel noise (that the Hyundai garage couldn't hear!!) was rust on the front discs, now sorted. The confirmation about 100,000 miles came from Hyundai UK.

Edited by anglospider on 23/11/2011 at 17:03