Wiys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - dacre

I bought a 1943 ex French Army Willys Jeep 3 years ago and it came with instructions to add 2-stroke oil and lead replacement additive to each tank of fuel. Having driven it back to the UK from the Alps and renovated various parts I found there was differing advice as to the necessity of these additions. My question is therefore is it necessary to add 2-stroke oil at all or will RedEx do the same thing? Is lead replacement addive of any use, I have just replaced all the valves and springs in the engine and found that the valve seats are all OK but required quite a bit of grinding in because of the coating of lead on the seats. A plaque discovered beneath layers of paint on the engine denotes that the engine was re-built in 1960. It is an original Willys Go-Devil side valve engine.

There may also be a problem with these old vehicles and the use of ethanol in petrol vis a vis corrosion of some parts, are there any additives which will counteract the acidity of the ethanol?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Dacre.

Wiys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - Collos25

Two stroke oil and Redex are two entirely different things two stroke oil lubricates and redex cleans(supposedly),being built when lead was added to petrol I can see the reasoning for the lead replacement additive it will make the valves and cylinder head last longer.

Willys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - dacre

Thanks Andy, the LRA is now in! I'm still unsure about the Redex vs 2-Stroke though, the latter is an upper cylinder lubricant although it's not Redex. Opinions seem to vary considerably on which to use, or not. If using 2-Stroke how much would you add to 50 litres of fuel?

Willys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - Collos25

I don´t think adding Redex will do any harm nor will it do any good,2 stroke oil is designed for 2stroke engines what it will actually do to 4stroke is anybodys guess and how much you would put in is another guess.Is there not a forumfor these vehicles where somebody with a bit more insight could help.

A bit cold running a open top in this weather no heaters if I remember .

That would be something of an understatement, I drove to the garage 30 mins drive away today ( In west lancs ) to have the cylinder head bolts checked and had to wear my alpine climbing clothes along with woolly pullie, balaclava, and woolly hat under helmet!

Thanks for the answer Andy, maybe someone will answer the question, meanwhile I'm adding 100mls of 2-stroke oil per 50ltr tankfull.

No snow really here although I did drive there and back through 2 snowy flurries, temp -2c and jeep started at 4th turn of key.

Wiys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - Robin the Technician

These two links might be worth a visit:

www.willysonline.com

www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums

Thanks Robin, that will keep me busy for a while! I've posted the question on the 1st link.

Willys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - davmal

A chap in the know recommends Extralube ZX1 ;)

It's not an additive though{;(

Willys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - Collos25

What ever you do do not put that near your engine.

Now you've got my curiosity going! Please can you explain what you mean, if it's dodgy why so? Damage is the last thing I want! What do you think about adding ZX1 to the fuel?

Thanks for the feedback.

Wiys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - MeraSport

Try broquet.co.uk.

I used it in a pug 205, with no problems on unleaded fuel for 40,000miles.

Wiys Jeep MB, 1943. - Petrol additives for Willys Jeep MB. - focussed

Re Willys side valve Jeep engine-the reason that upper cylinder lubricant (UCL) such as Redex was a recommended additive for side valve motors was that because the valve guides,tappets, camfollowers and camshaft are below the valves the inlet valve stems tended to run dry. Old engines like these with a compression ratio of about 5.5- 6.0/1 are unlikely to need lead replacement additives because the valves and seats run a lot cooler and the valves don't erode the seats like modern engines. Watch out or rather listen out for pinking though,tetra-ethyl lead was a well known anti-knock additive.