Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - skodaconvert

In late September 2006 my elderly dad paid a Skoda main dealer £10300 for a brand new Skoda Fabia 5dr hatchback 1.4 16v elegance ac. petrol, manual, metallic stone grey with alloy wheels. Exactly three years later in September 2009 with only 12000 miles on the clock and a few odd scratches the dealership purchased the car back from him for £4000 in part exchange for a brand new Skoda Fabia 1.4TDI diesel manual black. The on the road price was £11600 less the £4000. I feel that he was probably ripped off. Can anyone give me a steer on the part exchange price he probably should have received.

Thankyou

Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - Collos25

They probably gave him book price welcome to the real world of trading with a glass palace.

Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - bonzo dog

Hi SC, I don't have access to Glasses Guide from Sept 09 but many dealers do keep them for years. So if you know a local friendly dealer it may be worth asking if he has an old copy, for peace of mind.

However 60% depreciation over the first 3 years of a vehicles life is about average. It sounds to me like they did give him a reasonable price on his car (my guestimate) but didn't over-allow (ie give him much discount on the new one).

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know 14 months after the event?

Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - daveyjp
Not ripped off, just not a tough negotiator.

A search on Skoda website shows these on the forecourt at about £6,000. £2,000 is a bit steep on markup, so a discount on the new one could have been negotiated.
Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - bonzo dog

Not ripped off, just not a tough negotiator

The thing is Davey is that just like the OP my dad is elderly (80 a few weeks back) & whilst by no means senile he doesn't think as quickly as he used to or perhaps you or I would.

It's a sad (IMO) fact of life that some people do "take advantage" of the elderly by offering prices, deals, offers etc that they wouldn't do to those less trusting, more wary & more able to "negotiate" for themselves.

I'm not saying he was ripped off either (as you will no doubt see from my earlier post) but negotiating with my dad is a tad easier than with me (6' 15 stone 2nd row who has been in the car trade for 25 years) & many sellers will cut their cloth or lengthen it accordingly.

Edited by bonzo dog on 23/11/2010 at 21:17

Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - skodaconvert

My dad asked me to look through some paperwork for him and I came across the invoices for the cars. I was a little suspicous so thought I would put the subject out to informed people! I think you and the other kind respondents have more or less answered my question. Thankyou

Skoda Fabia Elegance 16v petrol 1370cc 09/2006 - ripped off by main dealer? - Armstrong Sid
A quick look at Parkers website throws up these values for that model

Original Price £10,750
Franchised Dealer £4,615
Independent Dealer £4,355
Private Good £3,965
Private Poor £3,140
Part Exchange £3,530