different engine to dealership ad and order form! - harrogate big vern

I don't want to identify the make or dealership as I want to give them an opportunity to deal with this amicably hopefully!

last month I bought a six month old car that had been owned by the dealership since new. The engine has been upgraded this year, and this vehicle was clearly advertised as having the spec of the updated model, i.e. more efficient, lower emissions. My order lists the tax band as being the updated spec.

New V5 comes through with the old tax band and g/km on it. Query this with dealership who confirm it is the pre update engine!

Where do i stand on this? I now have a car that will cost a lot more to run than I expected of the next few years.

Has anyone ever come across a similar situation and tell me how it was/should be resolved?

different engine to dealership ad and order form! - daveyjp
You could either return the car under Sale of Goods Act as goods are not as described, or calculate how much more it will cost you to run the car and ask for this amount as compensation.

Whatever you decide you need to be dealing with the dealership manager.

Your initial line of attack should be to state the problem you have and ask him what he is going to do about it.
different engine to dealership ad and order form! - Collos25

Don´t forget it could also effect your insurance.

different engine to dealership ad and order form! - LucyBC
It needs to go back or you need a financial settlement. A financial settlement would be very difficult to calculate because there are a number of factors - lower value, more costly to keep and run - plus the imponderable of how long you are going to keep the vehicle.

My feeling is you need to get agreement to return with a reasonable discount for the mileage you have done and then either renegotiate for the car as it is - or alternatively you get a later model.

The later model route is probably the one to go if one is available as dealers tend to be more accommodating if this is an option rather than having to refund.

It sounds as if you are currently happy to handle this yourself but if you feel you would benefit from legal assistance or additional legal clout in the negotiations I will normally run cases like this on a no-win-no-fee basis whereby you only pay us an amount we quote beforehand if we reach a pre-agreed outcome.

You are aware of our costs at all times and only receive a bill from us if we reach the result we have agreed with you.