All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Nezza

Having limited knowledge of engines, I was wondering for any views on the following point. As we are now seeing the colder weather and shorter days, batteries are taking the hammer with, heated screens, mirrors, seats, lights being used more etc. My commute is relatively short at 3miles each way and I am usually doing 30ish mph. I always try to give the car a decent run once a month at this time of year to help the battery have a good charge but I was wondering if I travelled in 4th gear rather than 6th this would assist the alternator to keep the battery charged (Greater engine speed). Yes there will be a slight increase in fuel usage but removing the risk of having a weak battery seems worth it. Any thoughts on whether any difference would be seen with such relatively short trips or am I completely wrong with the theory?

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - bathtub tom

I'm surprised you can do 30 in sixth!

Unless of course you mean doing the longer run in a lower gear?

Alternators charge at quite low revs. I doubt if you'll see much increase in charge above 2K RPM.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Nezza

I can do 30 in 6th but usual speed is prob upto 35. (If speed drops below 30 then a change is required) No I was meaning on the daily commute with the lower gear so your initial thought was correct.

Thanks for your reply, was just a thought but does not sound like there would be much if any benefit.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Peter.N.

I agree with Tom, in the days of dynamo's you needed to do quite a lot of miles to fully charge the battery after a start, especially as they didn't start as easilly as they do now, if your battery is in good condition 3 miles should pretty well recharge it. Once the engine is running there is little or no load on the battery, the alternator runs everything so it only has to replace what you took out of it to start it.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - madf

Cheaper to use a battery trickle charger once a week if you are worried..

Mrs madf has had an average journey length under 1 mile for 30 years and her battery only goes flat once a year...

Edited by madf on 19/11/2010 at 14:28

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Collos25

In winter its the alternator that takes the stick not the battery once a car has started you can remove the battery and run all day.All it needs is enough charge to start the car but what winter does is bring all the engine problems to the front and exagerates them.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - jc2

Once the engine speed has exceeded 1200 rpm you'll get little or no more charge from the alternator.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - shami
We use a solar trickle charger on our grand voyager and we've never had any problems with the battery discharging. Costs around £20 from car accessory websites
All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Roly93

In recent cars, unless the battery is on the way out or there is an electrical fault on the car, I dont think any real time needs to be devoted to worrying about this. In the days of dynamos and low output alternators this was an issue, but provided you dont leave the lights on and the car starts well I would't worry, as cars made in the last 10 years tend to have very strong alternators.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - over30
Always switch everything electrical off, before you turn off the engine, and leave the car.

Turn off the blower/heater
Turn the stereo off

And anything else electrical in the car.

Always keep the clutch pedal pressed to the floor when you start the engne, This will reduce the strain on the battery, during startup of the engine.

Car batteries are usually only guaranteed to last 2-3 years, thats how it used to be anyway, unless things have changed!
All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - 1litregolfeater
I think things have changed, and for the better, in that batteries are better, and car charging systems are better.

I can't believe how long batteries last now, seems like the design life of the car 8-10 years and longer.

Even so come cold weather I try to play safe by keeping the headlights off for a while in case it doesn't want to start again. I'll run into something soon

That tip about declutching when starting is the best trick, keeps wear down too.
All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Dutchie

On our car you have to press the cluch to start the car ,then press a start button.

Batteries tend to last longer I used to pop into halfords for a free batterie check.

Seeing we're gonna be needing loads of new batteries soon, I wouldn't care to give Halfords publicity, their battery prices are unbelievable and the products are rubbish. For good cheap batteries, either online, or as ever, your local factor.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - quizman
1litregolfeater, you state that Halfords batteries are rubbish.

Halfords sell Bosch batteries which are the same as Varta. These batteries are top quality.

Perhaps you will apologise for your ludicrous comments. I find Halfords a good firm. They are open on Sundays and stock a large quantity of parts.

You do not have to go there, it is still a free country in matters like this.
All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - Collos25

Many companies sell the same products as Halfords and in most cases cheaper but to say Halfords sell rubbish is a bit of the mark,in fact they sell some of the best tools available and in an emegency they are generally open.Like Quizman says you do not have to use them but sell rubbish no they don´t.

OK then, it could be interesting to talk about Halfords.

I just bought a battery online, an 096, with calcium cells and a 4 year guarantee for £60.

The local factor offered a Yuasa, no high tech but a respected brand for the same price.

Cheapest Halfords offer is a Halfords brand for £95, and if you read around the various fora on the web, they don't last very long.

I think they work on distress purchases alone, don't they.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - dadbif
A 3 mile commute, the car has no chance, will never warm up and emit clouds of filth, and rapidly wear al bearings and bores, never mind the battery.

For crying out loud, what do you think your legs are for?

Well with the continuing bleak economy we'll all be using our legs more soon.

Out of the three cars at my disposal I inevitably pick up the keys for the Corsa, it's all you need, stuck in traffic around the city.

It's getting hard to justify big cars, just on a personal level, with the price of petrol.

All - Winter/Helping to avoid a flat battery - madf
A 3 mile commute, the car has no chance, will never warm up and emit clouds of filth, and rapidly wear al bearings and bores, never mind the battery. For crying out loud, what do you think your legs are for?

Hmm that was true 30 years ago. Today and for the past 20 years it's just plain wrong - given careful annual maintenance

to wit: an annual oil and filter change , an occasional italian tune up and careful maintenance of the disks to ensure all sliding surfaces are coppereased. With a three year exhaust inspection and touch up with heat proof paint., mre madf had an unworn not clapped out engine running with the original rear exhasut box after 17 years and 49k miles.

Of course, if you insist on 20 k service intervals...

She'd have a nicer bum on a bike though