ford mondeo - modeo TDCi clutch and flywheel - bk.bas

i am looking to change my aging Passat for a Mondeo TDCi, around the 2005 era. It seems that it is essential that the clutch and flywheel have been changed or if not the cost of doing so should be factoring in to the price. Why is this a problem on this model, (some i have seen needed it at 40K miles) and does replacement cure the issue, or is it an every 80K miles job? I understand it's about £700 to do

ford mondeo - modeo TDCi clutch and flywheel - gfewster

Ford (and some other manufacturers) starting fitting something called a 'Dual mass flywheel' to their modern diesel engines. I've not investigated fully what the technology is, but basically it seems to make diesel engines smoother and quieter.

Unfortunately, a lot of them don't seem to be very durable. Some fall apart very quickly, some last a bit longer, and some have no issues at all. There is something of a consensus that driving style MAY have an impact on how long they last (or even if they fail at all), but there is definitely a consensus that they are basically rubbish and not good enough. This consensus, funnily enough, does not extend to the manufacturers, who refuse to acknowledge any sort of problem.

Solution is to fit a new flywheel at great expense. Some advocate fitting an old-style solid flywheel in place of the fancy and unstable new technology - thus preventing it happening again.

Edited by gfewster on 18/11/2010 at 11:49

ford mondeo - modeo TDCi clutch and flywheel - Collos25

I have seen diesel mondeos with over 200k on the clock with the original clutch and others need changing under 100k depends on the way its been driven.Most places will charge well over a £1000 for a replacement £700 will just about buy the parts, but you can put a normal flywheel and clutch in its place at a far cheaper price. Look around is the best advice.

Also on test a test drive listen for knocks from the rear normaly rear sub frame bushes these are a quite expensive to replace.The most economical mondeo to have over a livetime is the 1.8 petrol you may loose a little in the mpg but you have no fancy technology to replace when it goes wrong which it will do eventually.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 18/11/2010 at 12:04

ford mondeo - modeo TDCi clutch and flywheel - Fekin
I know this is an oldish topic now, but I managed to get the duelmass flywheel and clutc

Edited by Fekin on 27/04/2011 at 10:30

ford mondeo - modeo TDCi clutch and flywheel - Fekin
I know this is an oldish topic now, but I managed to get the duelmass flywheel and clutc

Very strange, it will only display part of what I typed